Auto resizing of photo uploads

Allen Bradford

I am reasonably new to IPS after having my 14+ year old board converted 3-4 months ago. I have been experimenting with Member Group Permissions etc.

One of the best features of IPS is the image Uploading function. The problem I am finding is Members are uploading huge video and photo files and sucking up board data. Of course I eventually set a max image upload to 4mb and max storage of 100mb for the Group able to upload. This is extremely generous given a photo of 200kbs is perfectly suitable for viewing. Problem is Members are so use to posting photos at places that have auto resizing, they simply don't know how to downsize or won't go to the trouble to downsize photos before uploading. Even at 4mb max, some Members only take and have photos above that in the 6mb range. The ease of uploading for them is now gone and downsizing photos has become what they consider a hassle, so they drift off....to places like Facebook...

My point and wish is that IPS would program in an auto resizing function, so large image files would be downsized to a web friendly size upon upload and posting. That alone would solve a lot of data usage issues for Board Admins.

What say?

You can already do this actually, just set your max width and height to a normal web size. 800x600 or 1600x1200 etc, then anything larger will be re-sized, in both pixels and file size. 

Uploading a 5000x5000 image on the web is silly anyway. ^_^ I personally use 1200x1200 for max size. 

23 hours ago, Rhett said:

You can already do this actually, just set your max width and height to a normal web size. 800x600 or 1600x1200 etc, then anything larger will be re-sized, in both pixels and file size. 

Uploading a 5000x5000 image on the web is silly anyway. ^_^ I personally use 1200x1200 for max size. 

Rhett,

Interesting. But I'm not exactly sure what and where you mean. I am assuming you mean through AdminCP- System>Posting>Images & Videos?

Does this mean that when a Member uploads a photo that is say 6mb in size it uploads and automatically saves to board/data at a smaller size?

What is your suggestion for these dimensions for someone who has a board with Members who post a lot of photos, but wants images to have decent resolution but not so big that they eat up data?:

Maximum image dimensions to save ________x_________px (This is set at a default of unlimited)

Maximum image dimensions to display_________x_________px (This is set at a default of 1000 x 750)

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Rhett,

Interesting. But I'm not exactly sure what and where you mean. I am assuming you mean through AdminCP- System>Posting>Images & Videos?

Does this mean that when a Member uploads a photo that is say 6mb in size it uploads and automatically saves to board/data at a smaller size?

What is your suggestion for these dimensions for someone who has a board with Members who post a lot of photos, but wants images to have decent resolution but not so big that they eat up data?:

Maximum image dimensions to save ________x_________px (This is set at a default of unlimited)

Maximum image dimensions to display_________x_________px (This is set at a default of 1000 x 750)

Thanks

Set the first one to 1200x1200 and the second to 800x800 (my personal preference)   In this setup, any image over 1200 or 1200 will be resized, when doing so, it will also shrink/compress the image file itself. so even if an image is lets say 1600x1600 and 3 mb, the resizing to 1200x1200 would be approx 500k to 1mb or less (just a guess) 

Now if you took an image of 4000x3000 and 8mb, with the same setting it would again likely end up between 500kb and 1mb or so. (best guess, could be off a little) 

I did an actual test for you to get some real numbers, so I wasn't guessing. (I was close though ;) ) 

Image specs before, straight from my phone. 

before.jpg

After uploading with a 1200x1200 max save size.

after.jpg

So it went from 

3264x2448 and 2.1MB

to

1200x900 and 352KB 

^_^ 

Archived