Open a forum link in a non-default language?

Apfelstrudel

Hi,

I've installed two languages in my forum.

Is it possible to open a forum page with the non-default language? i.e. with a url parameter.

Like: my-forum.com/forums/page-url?langid=2

Or much better: Is there a way to detect the browser language and open a forum url using this language? This would be great to have.

• 1 year later...
18 hours ago, MiP1 said:

Hi, I have the same question - how can I define a language in the URL, so it doesn't use the default language but the one I define in the link? 

Not at this time. The software will, however, attempt to detect an appropriate language to use based on the users browser, if they have not manually selected a language.

7 hours ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

Not at this time. The software will, however, attempt to detect an appropriate language to use based on the users browser, if they have not manually selected a language.

Thanks for the response! I tried it with the automatic detection, but it obviously doesn't work as needed in most of the cases. If I have the languages A and B installed and B is the default language, but the users browser has the language C, it seems to use the default language (B) even though the user needs A. "A" is the English language in my example :) 

I think it is very important to be able to define the language in the URL. And it shouldn't be too complicated to implement something like "?langid=2"

3 hours ago, MiP1 said:

Thanks for the response! I tried it with the automatic detection, but it obviously doesn't work as needed in most of the cases. If I have the languages A and B installed and B is the default language, but the users browser has the language C, it seems to use the default language (B) even though the user needs A. "A" is the English language in my example :)

IPS 4 will comply with the HTTP Accept-Language header defined by the user browser. This header usually set 2 or 3 options, e.g:

Accept-Language:pt-BR,pt;q=0.8,en-US;q=0.6,en;q=0.4

In the above case, default language will be used only if IPS4 doesn't find any of these languages installed.

You can see more in /system/Dispatcher/Front.php on line 390.

Archived