Add support to AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) in IPB Forum

Futtura

Exactly right.

When Google wants me to change something on my site "for better search ranking", I now have to stop and think who it is really benefiting and what will it enable Google to do. A few years ago I would blindly chase all of these Google changes.  Optimizing my site for speed? Sure, that benefits me and my readers.  Stripping my monitization out so Google can use my content in their own magazine like search results and presenting it in a way that limits engagement so they can keep eyeballs in their own apps? GTFO.

Even if IPS offered AMP in some future version of the software, I would turn it off because it essentially allows google to give my content away for free.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think people understand what AMP is. It's not going to magically skyrocket your forum up the rankings and, arguably, could make things more challenging. It's designed to make traditionally slower pages load more quickly. Where it might help is in Pages, where you have articles that could be media heavy and you're seeking to get readers and not necessarily participants. While AMP is an interesting concept, I wouldn't be prioritizing it over more important requests.

Like @Lindy said, AMP is aimed at static pages. No forms, no javascript, and so on.

I've implemented AMP on my website for news pages, and I can tell you: it's a nightmare. Needed to produce a complete new specific HTML code, with inline CSS styles declaration (and a very annoying limit on the CSS size).

Except for Pages, AMP is absolutely not designed for the Invision Suite.

30 minutes ago, LaCollision said:

I can tell you: it's a nightmare.

When I first looked into how it all worked, that was my initial reaction. Seemed so restrictive and complicated. Especially when a website already runs pretty quick it’s hard to justify implementing it.

@CheersnGears, you still can monetize your AMP pages, what's the problem?

Just a 3 days ago in google's office i met a publisher who increased his income in AdSense in around 200% thanks to AMP, so it's worth a try at least.

Of course it would work not for everyone.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:22 AM, Mr 13 said:

@CheersnGears, you still can monetize your AMP pages, what's the problem?

Just a 3 days ago in google's office i met a publisher who increased his income in AdSense in around 200% thanks to AMP, so it's worth a try at least.

Of course it would work not for everyone.

My information must be outdated then. When AMP first came out, it was stripping ads from pages. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived