Jump to content

Community

SJ77

Has innovation slowed to a snails pace?

Recommended Posts

Seems like the fun here has died down quite a bit. Nothing but minor bug fixes for quite some time. Each release is further apart. Market place has very few updates and nothing new and exciting in awhile.

 

Is this just the normal flux of summer with people on vacation etc? Or has enthusiasm for IPB died down?

Maybe my perception is skewed and I just need to be more patient. (open to this idea as well LOL)

Your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, superj707 said:

Seems like the fun here has died down quite a bit. Nothing but minor bug fixes for quite some time. Each release is further apart. Market place has very few updates and nothing new and exciting in awhile.

 

Indeed, they should build a rocket, and after that, two rockets, maybe three. In the end, you make the update and you find out that you need to pay the designer again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People were questioning IPS as a viable platform, largely blaming the speed of updates and volume of features. If it's quiet, I'd say it is because now that IPS has slowed in reaction to the feedback -- and as Lindy says, focused on bugs and general stability -- a lot more people are spending time running their communities and becoming as familiar as possible with how IPS4 runs.

I think this counts for developers quite a lot and at this point they are still settling their products to track well with IPS4 and keep their cards close to their chest in preparation for 4.2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lindy said:

As I've noted in other topics, we have piles of "fun" ready to go, however, it's important that we pause and focus on overall stability. Many of you were expressing concern and we've listened. We've closed out hundreds of bug reports and further revised our testing and QA process. 

We'll get back into the swing of new and shiny stuff very soon, but it's important to take a deep breath every now and then and tie up loose ends. ^_^

It's the right thing to do.  However, I can't help but get excited thinking about what's next.  I do agree that it's best to tackle the nuts and bolts first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They built us a purple border recently.  Best news ever, right?  Maybe?  

rs_page_border_purple.png

(Joel's #1 reason to buy IPS 4.  It helps mellow out all of the white and blue.  Or something.)

Because ... you know, purple borders are so much more fun than piles of fun, more exciting than rockets, more useful better than pages and pages of real-world client feedback, and it's totally one of the best features we've all been waiting for in IPS v4.    

Edited by Joel R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, superj707 said:

Seems like the fun here has died down quite a bit. Nothing but minor bug fixes for quite some time. Each release is further apart. Market place has very few updates and nothing new and exciting in awhile.

Marketplace is not really a big repository to extend the basic IPS system or find good/comprehensive addons/apps ... there are only 2-3 contributors which bring some really good files, unfortunately  - the rest you can build by your own if you can code a little bit or if you know who to implement some scripts 

With the IPS 4 system itself i am satisfied ... but addons & apps are a lack ...

Edited by m@t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Joel R said:

They built us a purple border recently.  Best news ever, right?  Maybe?  

rs_page_border_purple.png

(Joel's #1 reason to buy IPS 4.  It helps mellow out all of the white and blue.  Or something.)

Because ... you know, purple borders are so much more fun than piles of fun, more exciting than rockets, more useful better than pages and pages of real-world client feedback, and it's totally one of the best features we've all been waiting for in IPS v4.    

Actually, it's a whole new system to highlight specific groups' posts and comments which is configurable per theme via the theme settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, superj707 said:

Seems like the fun here has died down quite a bit. Nothing but minor bug fixes for quite some time. Each release is further apart. Market place has very few updates and nothing new and exciting in awhile.

 

Is this just the normal flux of summer with people on vacation etc? Or has enthusiasm for IPB died down?

Maybe my perception is skewed and I just need to be more patient. (open to this idea as well LOL)

Your thoughts?

What's new and exciting for me is that as of 4.1.14b6 I'm able to get through an upgrade of my 13 year old database with ZERO errors. To me that is yuuuge! It means I am really close to finally being to upgrade my production site to the 4.x series. 

I really appreciate the new level of care and caution that IPS is using with the latest batches of releases. New features are fine, but some of us old-timers were getting left behind on 3.4 due to upgrade issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

I really appreciate the new level of care and caution that IPS is using with the latest batches of releases. 

this is really perfect from IPS - i love especially the postings from Charles in Beta/Alpha section in client lounge - i hope this will continue also in the future ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IPS its self is a good forum compared to others..  I really like how they had a questions and answers forum... even though i dont use it that much... Thats what sold me..

Fixing bugs is priority... but.. features and mods could use a red bull.  Releasing mods here sounds snaily to me.  devs should be releasing mods every month atleast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ResPecT My Authoritah said:

Fixing bugs is priority... but.. features and mods could use a red bull.  Releasing mods here sounds snaily to me.  devs should be releasing mods every month atleast.

"Mods" are released by third party developers not associated with IPS ;) . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ResPecT My Authoritah said:

IPS its self is a good forum compared to others..  I really like how they had a questions and answers forum... even though i dont use it that much... Thats what sold me..

Fixing bugs is priority... but.. features and mods could use a red bull.  Releasing mods here sounds snaily to me.  devs should be releasing mods every month atleast.

Many mods are still just waiting to be caught up to the new platform yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ResPecT My Authoritah said:

Yea but there taking years to do it literally.

this is getting off topic; but most of the 3rd party devs are waiting for update to roll thru to help keep our sanity. (or what's left of it anyway)

otherwise traffic would be a little more (but I can't speak for all devs lol)

 

I think you just need to calm down with your attacking of community devs. 

 

Some pictures to help light the mood.

 

MjAxMi04MDIxZjc2MDU0OGYzMmVh.pngImage result for don't tell me how to do my job

Edited by MADMAN32395

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ResPecT My Authoritah said:

Yea but there taking years to do it literally.

I like jokes, I mean, I do jokes all the time. But, wtf? I don't get your problem. IPS gave you a nice piece of software, they make updates, maybe not every day...you know...the updates need work, ideas, etc. But why all this non sense? Do you think your "community" or whatever you use IPS for is unsuccessful because of them? As a reminder...you can make your own plugins...even if you don't have the knowledge, you can hire someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ClaudeC said:

I like jokes, I mean, I do jokes all the time. But, wtf? I don't get your problem. IPS gave you a nice piece of software, they make updates, maybe not every day...you know...the updates need work, ideas, etc. But why all this non sense? Do you think your "community" or whatever you use IPS for is unsuccessful because of them? As a reminder...you can make your own plugins...even if you don't have the knowledge, you can hire someone.

Look at the custom mod paid requests.. Most don't even get answered at all.  So thats invalid

10 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

Which update are you waiting for?  There are sometimes two updates a month.

Well if you look at what we where talking about most need to catch up.. Theres alot of 3.4x mods that havent been transfered over to 4 yet..

Second just go through some of the mods.. easily you will find mods even in 4 that people posted bugs in there product.. (that was from 2015) and until now 2016 havent been answered... Now I dont know if they got solved over pm so thats why the dev didnt put the solution in the support topic.. but then I would find it weird because if there was a valid bug.. would the dev update the mod for everyone?  So you would see a UPDATE of the mod after the date of the bug.. See what im saying here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our trusted social media, advertising and analytics partners. See more about cookies and our Privacy Policy