Option to copy/paste images into posts

Tom_K

This is a suggestion and question, if this is possible.

Often users who do not have a lot of technical knowledge try to copy/paste images straight from their computer. They don't attach images but just paste them.

The problem is that when they write the post, the images are visible since they have the images hosted locally but when the post is published, it shows broken images.

I know some WYSIWYG editors know how to handle images inserted with copy/paste.

Is this something that could be implemented in IPS as well?

Should this question perhaps better be addressed to the author of the editor IPS uses?

31 minutes ago, Tomzl said:

Should this question perhaps better be addressed to the author of the editor IPS uses?

The editor (CKEditor) already supports this - it's base64 encoding (go ahead and perform the steps you describe, and then view the source in the editor.....it's going to be a long base64 encoded version of the image, and not an actual image itself)

This content is stripped out upon posting on IPS.

• 1 month later...

I don't see how uploading an image as attachment or directly pasted would make any difference as far as security is concerned. In both cases you're allowing the same file to be uploaded to the server. Right?

It also doesn't make sense that enabling HTML would solve this. If the pic is only located on my PC and I paste it into the editor, no HTML code could magically make it visible to others, unless the pic is uploaded to the server first.

Are we talking about the same thing?

I will let someone else with more technical knowledge answer this, but to best of my knowledge - all content from the editor pass through some kind of security filtering from IPS. Attachments are let through, other stuff like pasted images - don't. If you enable HTML you remove this security layer. 

But don't trust me, just try to disable html and see if the plugin works ^_^

Archived