Provide a way to block certain groups from seeing images

ProSkill

It's really frustrating that there isn't a way to prevent certain groups (i.e. guests) from seeing images that have been uploaded as attachments and then inserted into posts. Every forum software that I have ever used has this ability. Just blocking non-paid groups from being able to upload isn't enough. This feature is very important for those of us who run forums that require membership fees. If I can't prevent guests and non-paid members from seeing content it basically defeats the purpose of having a fee based system. I don't understand why this feature is overlooked and brushed off by IPS staff I have brought it up on numerous occasions. You spend so much time trying to improve on the "Activity Stream" that most people never use or could do without, but don't put in the time to add basic features that are of critical importance to a lot of people. There is a third-party mod called Cloak that attempts to add these features, but it broke in some of the recent updates, and really we shouldn't have to rely on a third-party to add this critical feature. I would note that the cloak mod has 700 downloads, so it is certainly a feature that people are looking for. I apologize for the tone of this post, but this is really frustrating, and I likely wouldn't have switched over to this software had I known that this feature was missing.

• 1 month later...

I would really appreciate a response on this. The broken cloak mod now has 740 downloads, if that doesn't suggest that this should be a default feature I don't know what does. Flat out, there is no reason to have a paid membership feature if you can't stop people from seeing the content for free.

Archived