Menu Item: Internal Links

Meddysong

Sometimes we want to create links in the Menu Manager. We only have the option of external ones, so if we want to link internally, we have to use this.

This demands a full URL:

external.jpg

I'm going to migrate my site at some point and so will, among other tasks, have to manually change these links. With everything else going on, this is an unnecessary job.

Would it be possible to have an Internal Link as an option, into which we just place everything after the base_url? Or could it even be possible for us to use {setting="base_url"} ourselves, instead of being forced to use the full address? (Even "//" at the front isn't accepted, so I'm going to have to do another change when I move from http to https.)

Also, if you examine the your new internal link on the live site some trailing elements will be doubled up. The link will still work fine, just ugly. I've reported this as a bug a long time back but fixing that is probably messy and involving the friendly url parser and more.

Your internal link option would be fantastic and probably the easiest way to fix this.

I want a way for non external links that are inserted into external links in the menu manager to show as active in the menu if you are viewing the page. Because having a menu manager with application only entries into the menu manager that will work with active states on the menu is stupid. A lot of sites do not like the standard app menu items because they quite frankly do not extend to do what we want them to do, Whether it is the naming, the URL, or the page we want on our menu items. We need an internal link option that knows its an internal url and sets the active state of the menu on items. Instead of how it is now. Where not a single menu item of mine is active on viewing the page. Because i can't use any of the standard menu manager options other than external link because they do not show what i want. What good is forums menu item if i use 2 single threadlists with no category forum page? To place them on the menu i have to use external links and the system wont make those active when im on the page!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/5/2016 at 6:37 PM, Mark said:

It actually already does this. If you provide it an internal URL, on the backend, it realises this and saves it without the base URL.

How do you write the internal link to avoid the "Please enter a URL" HTML error on the Menu Item Type - External Link?

41 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

As though it's any other (external) URL.

I have posted my question because use of the url as external (http://....) causes problem on not only the active item of the menu but also on the visibility of the whole menu. 

I would like to thank you for your fast reply.

HH

Archived