IPS-Framework Editor

shahed

When IPS using its own framework structure for these massive and great Applications and services, why you guys don't making your own Editor? Editor is really one of the most important part of all applications. How about using your own framework for making Editor, not this CKEEditor or either. Scattered, need upgrade, need security measure. all depend to another groups.

In this case you know what you deal with after all. CKE have so many many add-one yes but more of them is useless. I think the number of All usable and required Not more than 30-40

The minute IPS does that, people would complain that it doesn't have this feature or that feature or this look or that look.  By using a 3rd party, IPS doesn't have to deal with all of that... and if someone needs a plug-in IPS can point to the CKE add-on and say "knock yourself out" instead of having to program something.   Are there downsides to this? Sure, but I think the positives vastly outweigh the negatives. 

Current CKEditor is a modified as it looks and adapted with apps. not only attachments, files and ... but Embed links and more. I don't think how big of this project cause big deal for IPS. They have their own Framework for making the apps and services. they know what they build and they can support, improve or listen to feedbacks. Framework they made is their creation. but when we talk about CKEditor, this is another matter entirely, Upgrade to next version of "Their product" , go to "Their site for plugin". of curse IPS made changes for CKEditor to prevent major vulnerability but look at that, this is "Their Range of options and business". This is not a safe choice for using a third party products for something so important. it is Beyond the scope.

1 hour ago, Adriano Faria said:

That would be a HUGE step back. IPS always used their own editor till 3.2 or 3.3, if I'm not mistaken... very limited compared to CKEditor or others.

The current situation and experience of IPS team is far different than back in time 3.2. I'm sure if they want, they can build Editor much more better than this CKEditor or 3.2 time. it's matter of support, Harmony and low risk.

Just now, shahed said:

The current situation and experience of IPS team is far different than back in time 3.3 time. I'm sure if they want, they can build Editor much more better than this CKEditor or 3.2 time. it's matter of support, Harmony and low risk.

A big waste of time and effort. That would be the same of IPS make their own geolocation API instead of use Google... or a bunch of other things used here from 3rd party owners.

7 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

A big waste of time and effort. That would be the same of IPS make their own geolocation API instead of use Google... or a bunch of other things used here from 3rd party owners.

I don't call this as wasted. in this point i agree if we talk about a google framework editor. But this is CKEditor we talk about. the home of vulnerability used in everywhere of the IPS suite.

Just now, Adriano Faria said:

An IPS editor wouldn't be free of vulnerabilities. Every software/site out there has vulnerabilities.

Yes, but this is supported by IPS itself. use for one purpose only and for their suite.

1 hour ago, shahed said:

The current situation and experience of IPS team is far different than back in time 3.2. I'm sure if they want, they can build Editor much more better than this CKEditor or 3.2 time. it's matter of support, Harmony and low risk.

I don't get it. Why creating a new editor when there are good editors already? Makes no sense. And if you look at the CKeditor editor files and libraries, it's a pretty big project, lots of work put there. No need to reinvent it unless there is something very wrong with it, which i think there isn't.

I prefer IPS to develop the suite instead of diverting their resources into these type of very low added value projects.

7 hours ago, shahed said:

I'm sure if they want, they can build Editor much more better than this CKEditor or 3.2 time. 

I could certainly not do a better job than CKEditor :lol:

Rather than debate any particular solution though, I'm interested in hearing why you're unhappy with CKEditor? You mentioned that it is "scattered" (I don't know what you mean by that), needs to be updated (but we handle that - when you upgrade IPS4, it always has the latest version of CKEditor bundled) and "need security measure" (I also don't know what you mean here - I'm not aware of there ever being any security concerns with CKEditor). What is it you would want to change?

The design of the editor itself is of course our own, so in theory, even if we did write our own back-end (which I don't think we would ever do), it would look and behave exactly the same.

7 hours ago, Mark said:

Rather than debate any particular solution though, I'm interested in hearing why you're unhappy with CKEditor? You mentioned that it is "scattered" (I don't know what you mean by that), needs to be updated (but we handle that - when you upgrade IPS4, it always has the latest version of CKEditor bundled) and "need security measure" (I also don't know what you mean here - I'm not aware of there ever being any security concerns with CKEditor). What is it you would want to change?

There is no unhappiness about CKEditor actually. IPS use CKEditor, CodeMirror, Plupload, own custom works, design and ... that what i mean about scattered. i just was Curious why IPS don't try to make one full Editor for their own.

There is more than 1 year after first release of IPS 4.0 and why is that so many security report IPS resolve? specially xss type. compare to 3.4, IPS 4 have many more xss vulnerabilities  to resolve so far. About 4.0, actually don't feel Stable, compare to 3.4 because we have nearly every 3 release and one big security resolve version. and of curse more XSS vulnerability.

We are not adverse to using third party libraries where appropriate, as we have always done. As I say, if we were to write our own equivalents for any of the products you mention, they would behave in exactly the same way - so why spend that time doing that when a mature product that does the same thing is available and open source? Using a library allows us to spend that time elsewhere.

As for security issues - we recently conducted audits this has resulted in us being able to harden some areas. These vary wildly in their severity though, especially XSS which is often Self-XSS, so often a lot of the things we've "fixed" recently have been more theoretical in nature than a practical concern, but we always will improve anything which the auditors flag up. To my recollection, none of these issues have been with third party libraries.

15 hours ago, BostonBob said:

The editor is easily modified and works like a charm.  There's no need.

editor.png

This is my editor.  It's wonderful and with a few tweaks was really easy to configure!

How did you get the colored icons in your editor?  The one on my site is only black / white / grey as in the editor on this site.

That looks abit like the Office 2013 skin, but might be wrong. Anyway.....go to http://ckeditor.com/addons/skins/all and download a skin from ckeditor's site:

Then edit your theme(s) and go to the editor tab and 'upload a new skin' - then upload the zip file you downloaded.

Note: Please use a test site first to confirm the skin works with the editor and the IPS theme(s)

4 hours ago, InsideEdge said:

How did you get the colored icons in your editor?  The one on my site is only black / white / grey as in the editor on this site.

First, the skin I used on CKEditor's site -- was Moono.  I have a colorized skin as well and use the Moono Blue version as well.

http://ckeditor.com/addon/moono

I would definitely get the NEWPAGE plugin -- it clears anything you've written or quoted and allows you to start a topic fresh.

Archived