Chat Extensions?

Stormlilly

Hmmm... I would rather stick with IPS chat and have it be simple but work. I'm yet to find a better chat module.  I have looked and tried many different chat softwares and on the surface they look good but they usually require downloads, are bloated or don't work well across all devices (despite claiming to).

Losing IPS chat is very worrying to me. Since migrating to IPS chat has been something I have never had to think about.  It functions well, looks nice and is updated seamlessly.

I'd like webcam but would rather a solid platform.

On 7/19/2016 at 5:06 PM, Lindy said:

No. We are currently seeking other chat systems to partner with and it is likely our own will be discontinued. 

I've looked Lindy -- and there's not much out there!  And most of these companies collapse fairly quickly!  There's something to be said about stability -- and I'll be honest -- I considered leaving IPS with all the v4 upgrade issues!  However, the one thing I couldn't find was a solution for the chat room integration with the other products.  Now we finally have v4 running SOOO MUCH better than it first came out!  Most of the issues have been resolved -- and we finally have stability!  I don't like the sound of trying to find an outside solution. 

On 7/23/2016 at 4:17 AM, BostonBob said:

I've looked Lindy -- and there's not much out there!  And most of these companies collapse fairly quickly!  There's something to be said about stability.

This is so true. IPS chat really is a rare gem.

Have tried it.  It doesn't work as effectively as we had hoped.

The IPS chat room layout is much nicer and easier to use. While comet chat does have some nice features (you can see your friends online) we found that this style of chat was missed / not understood clearly by many folks and did not work on everyone's devices / browsers.

Also I should say that I haven't had to look for another chat since moving to IPS because it works perfectly for us.

The only thing I would change is Webcam ability but when I looked into it no other chat software seems to offer Webcam on mobile, only on desktop. It appears that this technology (video chat on phones) is a little way off. 

I used the Cometchat integration for Xenforo and it wasn't very successful.

I just looked and the latest Cometchat says they now have video on mobile.  I used it over a year ago when this wasn't a feature.

Looks like users need to download an external App to have video on phone, and the whitelabel app addon is about $400.

@Joel R do you use comet on your IPS forum? If you do, what does your community think of it?  We had other issues with it at the time.

Archived