Spam Prevention-Captcha

Allen Bradford

I have my Board Registration/Spam Protection set with reCAPTCHA1.

Spammers are still sneaking in. I have it set so Registrants have to fill in enough fields that I can tell if it's Spam, and also set so I have to authorize through AdminCP. I can delete them before being authorizing.

?'s

That choice says it provides two words that need to be copied by a registrant, but only one word is actually there upon registration. Is that just a mistake in the description?

I thought reCAPTCHA was a solid spam prevention device, why are Spammers still registering?

Should I use another choice like reCAPTCHA2; it detects a human automatically and/or provides two(?) words?

or

keyCAPTCAH; provides a puzzle?

and/or should I create a Question/Answer too?

What spam protection do other admins use?

Thanks...

It's possible that humans are completing the captchas, in which case there is very little that an automated system can do to prevent it.

10 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

That choice says it provides two words that need to be copied by a registrant, but only one word is actually there upon registration. Is that just a mistake in the description?

In the original version of recaptcha1, it was two words, but now it varies depending on the image that Google decides to use, so yes, it is just an error in the description.

Archived