Kitchen Sink

The button is trivial to do for the most part, it's the Google auth stuff that's the work (every site that uses this would need to set up auth with Google for calendars just like you do to use Google Maps with IPS, and then there is the user granting permission for the site to add calendar events, and so on...). I'll mull it but it might be better as a request for IPS to build into calendar in the first place.

EDIT: There is that download iCal event button there. I could add an email button there so you get sent the iCal event as an attachment to your email account of record on the IPS site. Then its just a matter of importing. Worth while?

Edited by All Astronauts
17 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

EDIT: There is that download iCal event button there. I could add an email button there so you get sent the iCal event as an attachment to your email account of record on the IPS site. Then its just a matter of importing. Worth while?

I don't think it would be worth the effort. From that button, you can import into Google Calendar. What I am hoping to avoid is the whole import process to make it very easy for users. 

I will continue with using the subscription to the calendar feed and ask IPS for the Google auth to be added.

• 3 weeks later...

Kitchen Sink 14 Released!

• New! Option for Full Inbox Warnings.
  • New! Option to restore multi-mod action on first post in a topic.

Full inbox warnings is just a revamp of the free plugin in the Marketplace. Cleaned it up a touch and added an additional placement option beyond what you get in the free one. Option to not warn at all (default), a warning banner just below the breadcrumb line or there abouts, or a top of the browser full width warning. Warning displays on every page a member browses for as long as their inbox is at or over the limit for the number of messages their member group is allowed to have. Goes away once they cull below that line. Useful in that until they get below quota they will not be able to receive any new messages.

ks_fullinbox.thumb.PNG.610e459978d7f6bc0625bf50469e391a.PNG

The multi-mod restoration was a request from @Bill Edwards who pointed out two long standing request threads for this feature to be restored. I've purposely locked this down to only merge. Reasons? The first post in a topic is a special snowflake and needs to be treated differently - even though it is a post (comment in the IPS parlance) it is considered locked in as a part of the topic itself. Most of the multi-mod actions already do treat it differently, or at least avoid it in some respects, but IPS still purposely disabled multi-mod actions on it for good reasons - mainly they haven't built in anything safe enough to prevent you from breaking the topic. If you need to do real moderation to the first post use the moderator actions button alongside the reply to topic button. 

What happens if I let you run free with all the usual multi-mod actions?

Assuming you select the first, second and third posts in a topic with the multi-mod button, here is what you could do and what would happen.

Hide: Would hide the second and third posts, leave the first post untouched. 

Trash: Trashes the second ans third posts, leaves the first post untouched (pretty sure, kinda forgot my test on this)

Merge: Safe! It will merge posts two and three into the first, allowing you to edit as needed before saving. 

Split: Here comes trouble... It does work; too well actually. Let's change the scenario a bit. Let's say we have five posts in a topic. With multi-mod enabled on the first post, you proceed to select the first, second, and third posts for splitting. Splitting doesn't let you split large posts into separate posts in the same topic, what it does is allows you to split the posts off into another already existing topic or start a new one with those posts. 

You hit save, and posts 1, 2, and 3 are now in a new topic. Believe it or not, not only do posts 4 and 5 bump up correctly in the old topic, post 4 gets flagged correctly as the first post in the database. Was surprised by that myself. 

So you think all is well? How about instead of splitting off posts 1, 2, and 3 we split off *all* of them?

You can do that with multi-mod and once you do? Congratulations! You've just turned this topic into a zombie. Oh it still exists, it just has no posts and there is no way to add posts back into it.

So, seeing as how the hide and trash multi-mod actions don't work on the first post, and the possibility to do stupid things with split, I've done some junk to make the first post in a topic visible as such to the js controllers and added a new bit of js. When you have selected the first post in a topic for multi-mod the only option you get is merge. Uncheck the first post and all the other options come back immediately.

Only tiny hitch is the multi-mod controller doesn't emit an event when the button options change so I had to listen for something else - and that just means the button controller that pops up will be slightly non-centered when the first post is selected. No big deal (though when I installed it on another test board on my dev installation it did pop up the multi-mod options with no checkboxes selected in the first topic I viewed. I just selected hide and save and it went away - this was 99% likely just a phantom resulting from me running multiple dev boards on the same laptop - some lingering browser js vars carrying across installations. Nothing to worry about)

2and3.thumb.PNG.c38969fd3bcbeaf0c39844aad59f977d.PNG

123.thumb.PNG.13dce746417b69ed039d4962f431db1f.PNG

That's all. If I can get IPS to emit an event on the rebuildButton thingy it will be centered. No matter, I think you can live with it.

Edited by All Astronauts

Hi, I love this addon, but I have a potentially stupid question:

1.) You described one of the features as "Restores topic stats!" -- I took that to assume it restores the "12 posts in this topic" stat that used to be at the top of every topic before IPS decided to remove it in 4.2. But for the life of me I can't find that option in Kitchen Sink, does it exist?

I expected to find something about "Restoring topic stats" as an option under Topic View but all I see are:

image.thumb.png.e90e1f83d7702c5e8e0a4ce7ffda6d33.png

2.) When I tried to upgrade 13 to 14 I end up with: The page you requested does not exist  Error code: 1S160/2

And when I go back to the ACP, Kitchen Sink is disabled, and doesn't appear to upgrade to 14.

When I tried installing 14 as a fresh new plugin, it also dies at the same error code, even though in Plugins it appears as activated. What could be causing the Error code above?

Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, Drakior said:

I took that to assume it restores the "12 posts in this topic" stat that used to be at the top of every topic before IPS decided to remove it in 4.2. But for the life of me I can't find that option in Kitchen Sink, does it exist?

What IPS said they were doing with 4.2 was hiding the top div element that sits atop content blocks like that. Literally just hiding it. Which is fine, they needed to make the appearance of the suite less cluttered.

For reasons? they decided to *remove* that div H2 element on topic view. I asked, never got a coherent reply other than stating why they were hiding them, totally missing my point.

Anyways, thats where that lived and now it is flat out gone. For KS I hooked on that element and gave people a "last reply 10 days ago" type thing, and I had to yank that for 4.2

No reason for me to not re-insert that but was waiting to see if the IPS light bulb went on and they were going to re-include that element. I'll add it to the list to stick it back in.

The topic stats KS re-introduces is on category view where there are lists of forums. IPS hardcoded in just the display of how many posts were in a forum, instead of both posts *AND* topic count. KS let's you add, or only, display topic count.

1 hour ago, Drakior said:

When I tried installing 14 as a fresh new plugin, it also dies at the same error code, even though in Plugins it appears as activated. What could be causing the Error code above?

Shoot me a PM with ACP access and I'll take a look.

Edited by All Astronauts
13 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

No reason for me to not re-insert that but was waiting to see if the IPS light bulb went on and they were going to re-include that element. I'll add it to the list to stick it back in.

Thank you, I would appreciate that. To be honest, this was the "selling" reason I purchased Kitchen Sink - not that your other mods aren't great, but this is what made me buy!  One of your screenshots showed that stat on the topic view.

13 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

Shoot me a PM with ACP access and I'll take a look.

PM sent. Thanks.

Edited by Drakior

Shadow patched the file so anyone missing those clubs language bits just re-download from the Marketplace.

As for adding that line back in, well, things are different now.

prob.PNG.00fa2371e9274bab21eaafb49b3c0266.PNG

I'm assuming I can stick the data back in (that's just dummy text right now) but the element itself from the 4.1x series is an H2. And what you see is what you get right now once pagination kicks in. I can add some padding on the element to make it look ok on the stock theme but people using this are gonna have to deal themselves to re-match their 4.2 themes as I am not going to support the css look on this. No chance.

All good. Just a reminder to folks that other plugins can interfere with other plugins easily enough on install - nothing wrong with the plugins, just that you may need to refresh your browser cache, or in this case just dump all the IPS template caches with the support tool to get all the new stuff where in needs to be. Otherwise you can sometimes get old built templates conflicting with what plugins expect to be in place and so on...

A suggestion -- right now in 4.2 reaction notifications just state that "so and so reacted" -- it would be great if the notification was "so and so reacted with 'Thanks'" or something like that. Probably too small to be its own plugin, but it might be a good fit here.

For those of you having problems with Pinned Posts, Change Post Author, and any other plugin that interacts with the post menu (where the quote, edit, etc. options are) there is apparently some rough waters with how IPS is building the templates out. It would appear if you have more than a few things hooking on that area, the system will build the template out for a few hooks and then... stop. That's just me generalizing what's happening, I'm not sure exactly what's happening. KS does a bunch on the post menu too so I've been getting a few requests for support saying some items are not showing up.

Save me, and you, some time and just do this:

1) Clear caches with the Support tool (or why not buy Spacious ACP and add a clear caches button to your dashboard among other things?)

2) Go to your plugins page.

3) Leave KS enabled, but toggle off the plugins that are interacting with the post menu, like Pinned Posts, etc...

4) Go ahead and toggle them right back on. No need to do anything else. 

5) Now look on the front end. Everything should be fine.

Note that if you have an *application* that has a hook on the post menu, there will always be a problem with KS since I grab a bunch of stuff there. Just give a yell and I can give you a plugin to tackle that. The reason being as application comes first, then plugins, in how everything gets built out.

Owners of the Post Notes app take note (hah!) I've got a 4.2 plugin on hand already to get that post menu bit back in action alongside KS. Just shoot me a PM.

18 hours ago, eGullet said:

it would be great if the notification was "so and so reacted with 'Thanks'" or something like that.

Looked. They have this with the activity stream already, where it shows the reaction icon used. But as far as me doing it, on first glance appears doable, but it's messy; I'd be grabbing an entire function and busting it up.

Honestly, go to the feedback forum and ask IPS to stick this in natively - it's a no-brainer and much better (and cleaner) for them to do it than I.

33 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

Looked. They have this with the activity stream already, where it shows the reaction icon used. But as far as me doing it, on first glance appears doable, but it's messy; I'd be grabbing an entire function and busting it up.

Honestly, go to the feedback forum and ask IPS to stick this in natively - it's a no-brainer and much better (and cleaner) for them to do it than I.

This has been requested from IPS  since 4.2 beta

I have been looking everywhere for a plugin that fixes the following calendar issue:

599e38ae62745_CalendarIssue.thumb.png.a3b1a0c56f6acc9c28a58b3f23f07231.png

See, the problem is that the calendar orders all events not only by their time, but also their date of (first) occuring. This means that repeatable events will always be on top, by order of which one occurred first for the first time.

So if I schedule Event A on Thursday the 17th at 22:00, and tell it to repeat every week, and then I schedule Event B on Thursday the 24th at 20:00, the calendar still thinks Event A happens before event B on the 24th, and will display them in the wrong order.

I don't understand why IPS compares the dates, when it's already displaying the events inside of the days anyway. It should just be comparing the time.

Is this something that you could fix? If so, I would not only purchase this plugin, I would also be willing to give you my first- and secondborn child, as this bug has been plaguing my community for years.

Edited by Lelling

KS 15 released!

• Option to restore the topic view H2 element, including the number of posts in topic statistic.
  • Built-in fix for Post Notes application hook problem with KS.

The H2 is self explanatory. On/Off option in KS settings.

The Post Notes application fix is now built in. I'm 80% certain I've hit some internal IPS parsing limitation on hooks or something; that or my hook has one of those "you have a single extra space in the exact wrong place which will start a chain reaction that won't break things until more than two other separate things hook onto the same thing" problem.

The problem is the post menu hook/s. KS grabs a ton in that template, but that's ok, if just means that applications (which get built out first) that hook onto the post menu (like Post Notes) will need a separate plugin hook to work with KS to hook in there. For all plugins that add to the post menu, as long as they are after KS in the plugin list it's fine.

Except, apparently, when you have a ton of things trying to hook right there. No matter how I crafted the Post Notes hook to re-insert the thing, it was corrupted on parse. Oh sure, it always worked in_dev (though strangely in_dev was only parsing out one extra post menu hook rather than all that were there... strange), but in production, equally strange, all the hooks would work but url link in the Post Menu hook would be corrupted. Url template plugin with csrf option on, Url template with csrf built in to the link, to hell with it I'll build it out manually and now the data-dialog elements all go missing except one... so, so strange.

All Greek to most of you but I just solved the problem by removing the hook aspect and built the fix in my KS hook directly. Will have no effect for anyone unless you actually have Post Notes.

Please note Post Notes users: If you disable the Post Notes application you will need to likely hit the support tool to rebuild your templates otherwise you'll get an error page on topic view. Nothing is wrong at all, stuff just might not be in the loop right away for getting rebuilt correctly when you hit that button, it's all good after you clear out the caches. Enable the fix in KS on the Misc tab.

Edited by All Astronauts