Kitchen Sink

I have a fairly significant problem with Kitchen Sink, @All Astronauts.

When I search this:

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-07%20at%205.58.32%20PM.png

with Kitchen Sink enabled, I'm taken to this URL: https://thesandtrap.com/search/?type=forums_topic&q=sixes+challenge and see this in the search bar:

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-07%20at%205.59.31%20PM.png

I get no results.

When I disable Kitchen Sink, and enter the same search, I get this and the results I expect:

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-07%20at%206.00.36%20PM.png

Why is Kitchen Sink seemingly screwing with my search results by adding a "+" sign between terms?

My settings look like this:

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-07%20at%206.02.14%20PM.png

Well something is conflicting but lets make sure you have everything up to date. I ask this as on a stock, barebones 4.2.6 install, all patches, KS 20, its fine. Enter the search term up top on the forums front page, or anywhere else and you get this:

sixes.thumb.PNG.fe0cda04fc3f8ee66aced8238b6e7557.PNG

All good, no plus signs.

Please check and make sure that you have KS 20 (latest) installed and more importantly, all the IPS silent patches have been applied to 4.2.6. One of the patches was search related (and that cost me an hour of my life on one persons install believing it was my stuff breaking things..).

Hit the support tool, somethings not working. Patches will list there. Outside of that I'll need ACP access again to lend a hand. But this is confirmed fine on the latest stock install. I'm betting its the IPS patch that needs applying (even if it doesn't list fixing a search thing as the problem - it might just say something about Redis - the patch notes sometimes come through incomplete)

Check that stuff and get back to me.

Side note that Spacious ACP has a task that adds these silent IPS patches to the dashboard so you can actually see them, along with 3rd party plugins/app upgrades too. See the Spacious ACP Marketplace topic, last two pages or so, somewhere around there I discuss the whys/hows of this stuff. Don;t ask me why IPS stopped doing 4.2.6.1, 4.2.6.2, etc releases and have buried the patches - I would only be guessing they are trying to streamline things such that if it's fine for you, no need for the patches, so no need to tell you. And if something isn't working, then you would of course hit the something isn't working support tool button, and then see the patches...

Edited by All Astronauts
4 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

All good, no plus signs.

Please check and make sure that you have KS 20 (latest) installed and more importantly, all the IPS silent patches have been applied to 4.2.6. One of the patches was search related (and that cost me an hour of my life on one persons install believing it was my stuff breaking things...

Yes, that was me. Remember? :)

I have your ACP thing, too, and there are no outstanding patches I've applied.

I have Kitchen Sink 20.0.0. I have had it since you gave it to me.

I disabled EVERY plugin except Kitchen Sink and it still adds a + sign to the URL. This happens in Safari and Chrome, so it's not like it's a browser thing.

12 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

Hit the support tool, somethings not working. Patches will list there. Outside of that I'll need ACP access again to lend a hand. But this is confirmed fine on the latest stock install. I'm betting its the IPS patch that needs applying (even if it doesn't list fixing a search thing as the problem - it might just say something about Redis - the patch notes sometimes come through incomplete)

Check that stuff and get back to me.

Nothing needs patched, and this is 4.2.6.

I don't have many Applications, either, and you moved Kitchen Sink to the top of the plugins list when you had ACP access the last time.

Just a note to all seeing the "updated" file notices: KS hasn't been updated.

For reasons beyond mortal comprehension, when iacas downloads and install KS, it breaks. When *I* download and install it for him, it's perfectly fine. Double confirmed by uploading a new copy of the same KS file to the Marketplace and both of us downloading it from there and testing.

The plugin is fine, the IPS Marketplace is download is fine. Best guess is there is some character set madness someplace or somewhere but how/why it would *just* mess, barely, with the search term like that... <insert various extremely puzzled emoji characters here>

13 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

For reasons beyond mortal comprehension, when iacas downloads and install KS, it breaks. When *I* download and install it for him, it's perfectly fine.

You may have spoken a bit too early. The current version doesn't work. I still get the GET-style URLs with the "+" signs.

Edited by iacas

This is solved in that the problem is "fixed". As iacas mentions, I made a tweak to one tiny thing that already works for everyone everywhere else, but on this server, when KS is ingested on install/upgrade, it was breaking on who-knows-what. My working hypothesis is an ancient cURL library; possibly old xml library/s too. Enough to just break the install/upgrade parse along the lines of a character swap/escape/un-escape. 

Anyhoo, no new version of KS until 4.3 drops but this "fix" is accounted for and will be included in the next KS, even though most (everyone minus 1) aren't affected by the problem (though I should take a look at the template involved to make sure I'm not overlooking new code...)

The ancient cURL = 7.19.7 (no idea if it is a perked up version but the core version is still nearly a decade old). IPS recommends 7.3something.something as a minimum. Didn't look at the xml libraries but I'd be sure to get eyes on those too. My primary server cURL is 7.56.1 for comparison. 

The above is just a general note to everyone on this stuff. Problems like this come from the strangest of places...

• 2 weeks later...

News update for the Searchlight feature. The next builds of Searchlight and KS (which has Searchlight natively) will include the newest mark.js. Dev on that library is ongoing after some downtime and instead of keeping progress limited to a 9.0 dev line they've now just moved back to incrementing the mainline. This matters as the next big push on that library is serious diacritics support: that means those of you using non-English languages will start to see this work when your flagged search terms include characters not-standard to the English loadout. 

Even though new versions of mark.js are being included in Searchlight and KS don't expect full diacritics support until I announce it's available. 

Possible Change/Addition?

Changing to 4.x opened a whole can of worms for me.  Half the users handed out bravos that all the posts were in ascending order and the other half sent rotten tomatoes over having to scroll and scroll to get to the most current post!

Can the Plugin give each user a global or per category option for post viewing; ascending or descending?

I have an additional plugin named "Post Sorter".... Since I am clueless when it comes to doing anything like this, I feel bad about criticizing the plugin, but it is rather cumbersome having users select a sort order for each topic, rather than category.  I would very much like to disable this plugin.... but for now, it gives me a solution for angry users.

Thank you for your consideration!!

My setting for this in KS is universal; I do have adding forum/category filtering on this but again that's universal still.

What you ask is certainly doable but it would need to be in a separate plugin as you want is more involved than just simple setting checks.

EDIT: Doh, signed in under a different account, this is AA.

Edited by Flitterkill

Probably, yeah, I could do it. The reverse order stuff does have some annoyances that I don't real feel like tackling though - like when you make a response it appends it to the last page, it only pops up to the first response position after a page change/refresh. That's all in the javascript controllers; I mean, it *might* be an easy js mixin to change that but ugh... don't really wanna look to be honest. 

On ‎08‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 4:55 AM, All Astronauts said:

The ancient cURL = 7.19.7 (no idea if it is a perked up version but the core version is still nearly a decade old). IPS recommends 7.3something.something as a minimum. Didn't look at the xml libraries but I'd be sure to get eyes on those too. My primary server cURL is 7.56.1 for comparison. 

I have the same problem @All Astronauts cURL 7.19.7 is running on my server as well. Strangely, I only have this kind of problem with Kitchen Sink. 

The "problem" as it is, at least in regards to KS, is that KS was dev'd up way way back when 4x was just a little baby. To get around some early 4x limitations (some templates not parsing hooks correctly or at all, and on and on) I'd just do it a different way - usually meant grabbing other things (more things) than actually needed - does it work now? Yes, great, moving on.

Now its two+ years down the line. The parsers are robust. Nearly all (if not all) templates are hookable without errors now, etc. But my old code is still there. I clean it up when it crosses my path but as long as it's working and not troubling anyone... 

It took a very new version, and a new feature of mine, plus ancient curl/xml libs to expose this. If you need a patched version to fix the problem iacas had let me know; otherwise hang tight until after 4.3 is released.

Hello @All Astronauts

I have some change applied in mobilenavbar(links with icons) and mobilenavbarnavigation(links with icons of Language and Theme), also with custom css hidding 2 defaults links(activity and search icons), I am thinking about if can add these modification in your Plugin, avoiding future upgrade template problem, and if can add more mobile tamplate modification setting will be most cool....so, mainly thougth is achive those modification with your plugin and dont need work in each themes tamplate. Right now I dont still bought your plugin.

• 4 weeks later...