Kitchen Sink

I will say this - the caching of templates, the build-out of hooks, whatever... has gotten a bit twitchy with the 4.2 series. Particularly noticeable if you are a CIC user.

The two things to try beyond the usual (even erasing the caches with the Support tool or the Spacious ACP wipe caches button) is to, CIC or regular user, disable and re-enable the plugin/s in question (that's a literal step btw, just click the button to disable, wait a few moments, then re-enable it) - that seems to get whatever templates hooks that did not get built out correctly to get going again. The second one is for CIC users: wait. That's it; just wait. The template caching IPS is using to provide CIC is really substantial. You will literally sometimes need to wait a few minutes before endusers get the changes on their end. This one is really frustrating as I get a yell that something isn't working after someone changes a setting and it ends up being a CIC delayed cache write or something.

Beyond the usual un-announced changes IPS does that break things for 3rd party devs, there are still people running themes that are supposedly 4.2 compatible but they really are just themes that "work" with 4.2. That's not the same thing. If all someone did was take a 4.1 theme, load it up on 4.2, and then change/edit as needed to make it "look right" again what you have is just a mutant 4.1 theme that will be missing clubs junk and a bunch of other changes - all of them creating new hook points for apps and plugins and now you get devs being yelled at because the plugin isn't working on their awesome theme they made and so on and so forth...

I prefer to just use straight numbers for KS versioning so I'm looking at something else to add as this would be a really weak KS 16 release, however, I got a bug fix for removing the word "edited" next to the post date in posts (not sure if this was a 4.2 change or 4.2.3 change but it's patched now) and that h2 element that I restored that displays how many posts are in a topic? I've added back in the time since last post on the other side. No javascript util to display in "days ago" format, just the usual IPS datetime display. Plenty good enough.

lastreply.thumb.PNG.de6947f2660ca09d30d9c294ded04016.PNG

Edited by All Astronauts

KS 16 released!

• Fix for removing the word "edited" alongside the post date in forums - topics - post view.
  • Restored H2 element on topic view now includes time since last post in topic.
  • New horizontal text format option for displaying both topic and post counts in forum view.

The horizontal text stuff is the old style formatting. There's no easy way to fix the problem for when you have high post/topic counts and you want to display both numbers. It starts to look weird, centering becomes off, and so on. There's just no good, universal, formatting option using the default IPS style with both there. So, here's the old formatting back as an option.

horizontalstats.thumb.PNG.7433d81f99791c3ee286bc2e3ab9251f.PNG

On that view only (in the KS settings menu for this option it is 3: both, horizontal) I've added an additional css class for you to use. 

.ks_tstats {
    text-align: left;
}

Just add that to your custom.css file and change as needed to justify those lines left, center, or right. Feel free to change font size, alter the line-height, etc. as needed. Way too involved to add this stuff in as options in KS directly with all the various themes out there.

Topic view H2 element now will look like this:

lastreply.thumb.PNG.de6947f2660ca09d30d9c294ded04016.png.7e63cd3354dcfbdc6f3106a65bf51d3c.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the default theme in 4.2.4 and KS 16. I can't get the Bookmarks app to function right when KS is enabled. Yes, it's the top plugin, but Bookmarks isn't a plugin, it's an app. When i disable KS, the Bookmark link appears next to Quote Edit etc... below comments. With KS enabled, this doesn't appear.

The issue was mentioned here as well:

It's not a bug or the fault of anyone fyi, it's just an inevitable result of how this stuff gets built out.

Apps before plugins, which means after the Bookmarks app adds a link there, KS comes through and overwrites it (which I have to if I'm going to allow people to move the links into the options menu there). So yep, doesn't matter if KS is first in the plugin list or last.

I've been considering moving KS from a plugin to an app, in which case having KS first in the apps list will settle all these problems.

As it stands now, I'll need to stick a fix into KS that adds that link back in. If you could PM me a link to your site, with Bookmarks active but KS inactive, I can see the link code and port it into KS to fix this (slight chance I might need a bit more from you but we;ll cross that bridge later if we need to). Whip me up an account too pls.

Edited by All Astronauts
15 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

It's not a bug or the fault of anyone fyi, it's just an inevitable result of how this stuff gets built out.

Apps before plugins, which means after the Bookmarks app adds a link there, KS comes through and overwrites it (which I have to if I'm going to allow people to move the links into the options menu there). So yep, doesn't matter if KS is first in the plugin list or last.

I've been considering moving KS from a plugin to an app, in which case having KS first in the apps list will settle all these problems.

As it stands now, I'll need to stick a fix into KS that adds that link back in. If you could PM me a link to your site, with Bookmarks active but KS inactive, I can see the link code and port it into KS to fix this (slight chance I might need a bit more from you but we;ll cross that bridge later if we need to). Whip me up an account too pls.

Thank you for investigating.

Edited by Fosters

If anyone needs this now just yell, otherwise I'm holding off on a release for awhile to tackle some other things. FYI the fixes for both Bookmarks and Post Notes are on the Misc tab (last one) in KS. You will need to enable the fixes there, no need for them to run if they are not needed.

Also, just for completeness, these fixes both test whether you have enabled them or not and also if the application involved is enabled as well. This last bit is a good way to simultaneously test whether you have the application in the first place and that you have that app actually turned on. As both fixes are calling application-specific templates you can imagine the support hilarity that I would bring upon myself when people disable the application, but leave KS up and running with the specific app fix enabled, which would be calling for that now disabled template...

KS 17 released!

• A couple uncommon bug fixes.
  • Built-in post bit compatibility fixes for a few 3rd-Party apps.
  • New option to limit the number of attachments per post (probably affects all editors with file attachment areas)

The 3rd party apps that have the fixes you can just scroll up through this support topic to see what they are. Fixes need to be toggled on/off under the misc tab in KS - they are not enabled by default.

The new option for limiting the number of attachments per post probably affects any content item that has a file attachment area. For now I have this setting at the bottom of the post tab. Choose between 1 and 100. Honestly, more than 50 attachments (maybe even less than that) and you are starting to stress things a bit. Over 100 and you are really just asking for trouble; especially those of you running IPS on servers with shall we say less than optimal resources? Default is 25 which is more than reasonable.

CIC users, as always, once you install KS and mess with things, you'll have to wait for the CIC caching system to wake the hell up and recognize there is new stuff going on. Took me a couple cache wipes and I still needed to wait awhile before the limit attachments option actually fired on through on the front end.