Current bug situation

TSP

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management
12 minutes ago, Simon Woods said:

Well, if there is one thing this whole thing is proving it's that communication is a problem, at least on this site. There is no apparent consistent, clear public-facing source of information that would make the lives of core users a lot easier.

I've never been more convinced that a forward-thinking upgrade to both communication in general as well as specifically the daily organising and maintenance of the forums would make life easier for a lot of people.

In what way is communication lacking? I have clearly said over and over to simply submit a ticket if you have any issue with your site. I'm not sure how much more I can communicate that concept ^_^

Just now, Charles said:

In fact was it not you who suggested reports are triaged?

You're taking one thing I wrote and using it against me, great. Just as I initially suspected you would do when I first saw you like that post. 

Obviously bug reports should be triaged. Just as regular tickets need to be triaged in some sense. Just as feedback needs to be triaged. I'm like merely pointing out the obvious here. That doesn't mean it's only one possible to triage them the "Charles way". 

Does that mean I said "Bug reports should be handled in the ticket system"? No. Does that mean I said "a non-developer should triage them"? No. 

One of my bug reports had me have to explain tier 1 support staff one extra time what I said, while I'm pretty sure any of your developers would've caught on right away. The delay from when I report a bug, to when it end up in the bug tracker is extended. Your reiteration of the bugs also have less information in them, leaving your developers to have to more regularly jump between bug tracker and tickets. 

How I think triaging here should work: I report bug -> Anyone else can see and comment on my issue with any additional information they may have etc. -> An assigned developer to take care of new reported bugs for the current week takes a look. Any "5 seconds fixes" are done then and there, if the issue is more complex it get's triaged to be completed and looked more closely at later, then they continue to go through the reports.

Many many years back you had terabyte in your staff whom I remember was very good at this. It's a situation like that I would primarily like to see again. 

Ultimately it's like not any harder than to say "Let's make sure all bug reports are dealt with within two months of submission in some way.", and the situation you have would be like 10 times better. 

• Management

Yes you have said that over and over and that is not the approach we are taking right now. I realize you disagree and I am sorry we cannot agree on the bug tracker but really this is a tool for our use and it's best we work with it that is best for us.

I appreciate your feedback but we think submitting a ticket is just as easy as submitting a bug report (just typing in a report) and a ticket gives us the opportunity to triage an issue, talk to the submitter to get more information, and so on. I also realize you are only seeing one facet of the process and making assumptions accordingly as you do not know what we are doing internally. As an example to @TSP: in the ticket you submitted earlier about a bug we were able go get clarification from you, confirm the issue was valid, put in a report, and even tell you that it will be fixed in the next release. That is the point and it benefits everyone.

We are looking into options for the power users who are posting in this topic but for now we do prefer tickets for all issues.

As always, please submit a ticket if you are having any problems with your community. We will reply to every ticket we receive and be sure to get a resolution for you. 

• 10 months later...
On 26/09/2016 at 11:03 PM, TSP said:

One of my bug reports had me have to explain tier 1 support staff one extra time what I said, while I'm pretty sure any of your developers would've caught on right away. The delay from when I report a bug, to when it end up in the bug tracker is extended. Your reiteration of the bugs also have less information in them, leaving your developers to have to more regularly jump between bug tracker and tickets. 

This!

Archived