How to reduce space occupied by attachments?

albertocv

I'd like to transfer my self hosted forum to a cloud hosted account. The number of users would allow me to buy the cheapest package. The weight of the uploads, instead, would force me to move to the higher package.

I know that there a lot of useless attachments and also large images that were uploaded when the rules were less stringent. So, I know that a lot of the space could be freed and make me save some money. 

Are there automatic ways to free that space? 

11 hours ago, albertocv said:

Thanks. 

And about number 2: I looked into the marketplace and found nothing. Is there a plugin that allows to host all of the attachments on S3?

in ACP look at files tab then there is a way to make a new location you can use Amazon S3 there. It's in the ACP and can be setup.

I just wish we could choose to host attachments older than a certain date on Amazon and newer ones stay local. (automatically moving over after a certain set amount of time)

That would save me tons of money in Amazon S3 costs. @Lindy Would you consider it?

• Management
6 hours ago, superj707 said:

in ACP look at files tab then there is a way to make a new location you can use Amazon S3 there. It's in the ACP and can be setup.

I just wish we could choose to host attachments older than a certain date on Amazon and newer ones stay local. (automatically moving over after a certain set amount of time)

That would save me tons of money in Amazon S3 costs. @Lindy Would you consider it?

I don't see a strong need for that to be honest, BUT... There's a lot you can to save costs with AWS if you don't just point, click and go. Late last year (or early this year, I don't recall specifically) - AWS introduced S3 IA -- S3 Infrequent Access. Using the lifecycle versioning feature, you can have older content "move" to S3 IA to save some coin. Further, if you're not making use of Cloudfront - you should be!

1 minute ago, Lindy said:

I don't see a strong need for that to be honest, BUT... There's a lot you can to save costs with AWS if you don't just point, click and go. Late last year (or early this year, I don't recall specifically) - AWS introduced S3 IA -- S3 Infrequent Access. Using the lifecycle versioning feature, you can have older content "move" to S3 IA to save some coin. Further, if you're not making use of Cloudfront - you should be!

The need is this. On one hand I need more disk space, Amazon can help with that.

On the other hand amazon charges for bandwidth and I already have bandwidth with localhost.

Old attachments are buried in the threads and don't get accessed very often. Thus if only new files are local frequently accessed files use local host bandwidth and don't rack up S3 fees all while saving costly disk space. Old files are still available.

anyway, thanks for considering. I don't know what cloudfront is. I am using cloudflare. Wondering if it's similar.

• Management

The charges for S3 IA bandwidth are notably cheaper than regular S3. 

We're of course open to anything (and you're welcome to post this in the feedback forum for further discussion) - but the logistics of this would be a big deal and would require a good amount of development effort for what I assume would be a relatively limited use case. Again though, you're welcome to bounce it around the feedback forum.

Archived