Security patches for older versions.

Sinistra

What I mean by this I have had that giant red "Upgrade" box at the top of my board for the past few months. I am currently unable to renew my licence right now. and I had to do something  to get it to stop showing. There should be some security fixes for unlicensed members  so we can get rid of the upgrade box. or add a close button. 

I h

16 hours ago, Ilya Hoilik said:

You can remove/comment this line in globalTemplate:

I think security patches cannot be applied to the older versions due to a potential compatibility problem. This can cause more problem with your site than when your site is not patched.

Yes but I figure commenting it out violates some type of policy of IPS. 

I think not, because this warning displays only for administrator. You cannot remove copyright, but not updateWarning.

This is all I found in Standards of Service regarding removing something:

You may not remove any copyright or proprietary notices on or within the software’s source code at any time. A copyright removal license may be purchased to remove the public display of the Software’s publicly displayed copyright notice.

I'm pretty sure IPS have indicated they don't want to see instructions on the forum for removing those notices.

Removing them is also, IMO, quite irresponsible. If you are going to host a community and store people's data then you should find a way to renew the licence so you can apply security patches. (e.g. donations from members) Not doing so is just unacceptable in today's world of data breaches and thefts.

6 hours ago, Evil Edwina said:

I'm pretty sure IPS have indicated they don't want to see instructions on the forum for removing those notices.

Removing them is also, IMO, quite irresponsible. If you are going to host a community and store people's data then you should find a way to renew the licence so you can apply security patches. (e.g. donations from members) Not doing so is just unacceptable in today's world of data breaches and thefts.

I have a few themes and plugins  up on the IPS marketplace. I have also taken it to my production site because of the IPS fee for posting in the marketplace. This way I can sell tem for half the price I do here. my latest theme here is 30 I have it on my site for 15. I can understand IPS is trying to make mony off the devs but  I need the money to pay for my reneals and get the lasst app commerce Once I have comerce I will I will convert my entire wordpress site to IPS. 

2 hours ago, Sinistra said:

I have a few themes and plugins  up on the IPS marketplace. I have also taken it to my production site because of the IPS fee for posting in the marketplace. This way I can sell tem for half the price I do here. my latest theme here is 30 I have it on my site for 15. I can understand IPS is trying to make mony off the devs but  I need the money to pay for my reneals and get the lasst app commerce Once I have comerce I will I will convert my entire wordpress site to IPS. 

You best be careful here.  @Lindy has been very specific about the practice of selling the same thing on the IPS MP at a higher cost than you do in your own store, except for promotions.  IPS doesn't make money off the IPS MP.  The fees collected over the cost of paypal transactions and the infrastructure that supports the MP.  If you think IPS is making money hand over fist off the MP, you're sorely mistaken.  

9 hours ago, Aiwa said:

You best be careful here.  @Lindy has been very specific about the practice of selling the same thing on the IPS MP at a higher cost than you do in your own store, except for promotions.  IPS doesn't make money off the IPS MP.  The fees collected over the cost of paypal transactions and the infrastructure that supports the MP.  If you think IPS is making money hand over fist off the MP, you're sorely mistaken.  

No I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I understand that they take a fee for PayPal so you get your full payout. Yes Promotions  here would be a great thing seeing as we have no way to sale stuff on promotion withough having to drop the price mauall.y  but you have to understand from my point of view. my renewals come from marketplace cales.  and when no one is buying my plugins or themes igt gets really frustrating. 

14 minutes ago, Sinistra said:

and when no one is buying my plugins or themes igt gets really frustrating. 

You just need to make things that are attractive to more people, and make more of those things.  Look at my Steam Integration.  40 sales in 1.5 months.  

Archived