Babble: Real Time Chat

CodingJungle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the updated version, followed the new guide, the webpage fails to load with (HTTP ERROR 500). Luckily, ACP still loads, and with Babble disable, the site loads again.

edit: The site fails to load with a custom Theme and Babble. Switch to default theme and site loads.

17 minutes ago, Zen Geek said:

With the updated version, followed the new guide, the webpage fails to load with (HTTP ERROR 500). Luckily, ACP still loads, and with Babble disable, the site loads again.

edit: The site fails to load with a custom Theme and Babble. Switch to default theme and site loads.

i would see if there is an update to the theme if it is loading with the default theme. you could send me the theme and i'll see if i can figure out the reason that you could pass onto the theme designer. 

Can Babble be adapted to give us a larger amount of shouts,  we can have up to 20 users at anyone time and if they all type at once which is usually the case it causes mayhem  currently we only see 6 lines of text this isn't helped by some users having long names forcing babble to use a double line for these users thus reducing the amount of shouts visible,  I would really like to at least double this and make the container for the user name longer so each user stays on one line.

is this possible ?

Regards

Paul

CodingJungle  The 2nd bit of code works fine  and has stopped the long user names forcing two lines  so thats a great help  the first bit of code I cant seem to get to work  I tried using exactly as above and tried bigger in case 350  is what the area is already set at  so I would see a marked difference any suggestions?

@CodingJungle was just on your site playing and testing out again. I noticed when I click on the popout/new window and the chat opens, my 2nd message hangs and doesn't send. I'm using chrome if that makes a difference. It seems to hang. Also, in the popout when I post that first message, the messages do not scroll up so you don't see what you posted like it does in the embed version.  Also, emoticons menu does not work in popout version.

image.thumb.png.0bff0f6e8b7823b8b8e436f4f14c2c0c.png

4 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

@CodingJungle was just on your site playing and testing out again. I noticed when I click on the popout/new window and the chat opens, my 2nd message hangs and doesn't send. I'm using chrome if that makes a difference. It seems to hang. Also, in the popout when I post that first message, the messages do not scroll up so you don't see what you posted like it does in the embed version.  Also, emoticons menu does not work in popout version.

image.thumb.png.0bff0f6e8b7823b8b8e436f4f14c2c0c.png

it seems to be several of the javascript functions aren't being tiggered either, the online list isn't resizing. thanks, i'll look into what is causing it.

I purchased the service and installed the app. I have to say, it's top notch! A couple of things I'm wondering if anyone has run into:

1. Emoticons work with default IPS but I'm using custom emoji plugin and they don't work and just display text, anyone run into this?
  2. How can you change the message background color to only affect babble and not the rest of the suite?
  3. Is there a setting to have sounds all ON/Checked by default?  

Emoticons work with default IPS but I'm using custom emoji plugin and they don't work and just display text, anyone run into this?

since the chat box isn't an RTE, i have to parse the emoticons a different way. if the emoticons get added to \IPS\Data\Store::i()->emoticons, then it should work with them. but i do not know what "custom emoji plugin" you are using so i can't further elaborate on how the author of it does it. I use to include the emojione library with babble, but it is a massive library that made babble difficult to install on some servers due to upload limits. i've been thinking about releasing it as a free addon for babble, but been busy. I've also considered replacing the text area with an RTE, but the RTE does some weird things and i can never get it to recognize the commands properly. i have a few ideas, so it is possibly in version 3 i will make it happen.

How can you change the message background color to only affect babble and not the rest of the suite?

each element in babble should have their own ID or css class name, they don't all appear in the CSS as it uses a lot of inherent style from IPS. for the message area's background, you can target #elBabbleList or .cBabbleList  in your customs.css to change the background to a different color, without changing it on the rest of the suite.

Is there a setting to have sounds all ON/Checked by default?  

no there isn't, sounds are annoying, especially if you aren't expecting them or in a place where a unexpected sound can be disruptive. this is why they are disabled by default. trust me, you'd have a lot more complaints if they were enabled by default and some one was in the chat at work ;P

I see what you mean about the sounds, makes sense. Thanks for posting, I see the classes now. For some reason I was having issues but now got it to where I need it. I just added:

.cBabbleContent, .cBabbleDate, .cBabbleUserMain {
  background: #FFFAFA;
}
.cBabbleList {
  background: #FFFFFF;
}

I'm using this emoji below as an addon. Need to find a way of excluding it.

12 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:
  • Emoticons work with default IPS but I'm using custom emoji plugin and they don't work and just display text, anyone run into this?
  •  

I have the sam issue, but only on PC's. On mobile emojies displays just fine. The problem is that the IPS icons are displayed like :fish: instead of whatever ikon that was.. So when inside babble I just get the old ikons like this.. This is ikonlibrary IPS..

image.png.8f9a827095c95cbb1b0a3d046b8d0862.png

6 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

I see what you mean about the sounds, makes sense. Thanks for posting, I see the classes now. For some reason I was having issues but now got it to where I need it. I just added:

.cBabbleContent, .cBabbleDate, .cBabbleUserMain {
  background: #FFFAFA;
}
.cBabbleList {
  background: #FFFFFF;
}

I'm using this emoji below as an addon. Need to find a way of excluding it.

3 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

I have the sam issue, but only on PC's. On mobile emojies displays just fine. The problem is that the IPS icons are displayed like :fish: instead of whatever ikon that was.. So when inside babble I just get the old ikons like this.. This is ikonlibrary IPS..

image.png.8f9a827095c95cbb1b0a3d046b8d0862.png

i've purcchased the plugin, and will see why it doesn't work with babble, and will attempt to make it work.

3 hours ago, Unlucky said:

does anyone know where you change the colour of the text when typing in the message box?

I have switched theme colours and am getting a grey on dark grey...

yes, you can add this to your customs.css, and then change the text color to whatever you'd like in the textarea.

.ipsApp .cBabbleTextArea {
	color:#000;
}

this will change the text color to black.

I have chat closed off to guests. Is there a way to have the chat count bubble/notification in the menu show to those not logged in? I like the count in the menu, but it only shows when logged in. Seems that you don't get that count unless you are logged in and I think it would stimulate guests to login if they saw a count of people in chat, like the old IPS chat used to have.

19 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

I have chat closed off to guests. Is there a way to have the chat count bubble/notification in the menu show to those not logged in? I like the count in the menu, but it only shows when logged in. Seems that you don't get that count unless you are logged in and I think it would stimulate guests to login if they saw a count of people in chat, like the old IPS chat used to have.

the problem i see with this, babble is mutli-room, and each room can have its own permissions. you wouldn't want the counts from a room that only say admins can see and use, to appear in the total, and then when they log in they are the only ones in the "public" room(s). I really wouldn't want the additional headache tbh (as i already have people who complain that the room and menu count are different, but then i explain to them that if they have multiple rooms, the menu count is a total of all rooms, not just the room you are in).

I'll see about putting in a setting for the room to display it in the menu count regardless of the permissions.

• 8 months later...

The chat service has a limit of 100.

I do offer a package, not listed publicly, for people who need or want more than 100 users at a time. the price varies based on what options you want with it. if you want more information on this package, contact me via PM and can give you more details on it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 4:37 PM, CodingJungle said:

the problem i see with this, babble is mutli-room, and each room can have its own permissions. you wouldn't want the counts from a room that only say admins can see and use, to appear in the total, and then when they log in they are the only ones in the "public" room(s). I really wouldn't want the additional headache tbh (as i already have people who complain that the room and menu count are different, but then i explain to them that if they have multiple rooms, the menu count is a total of all rooms, not just the room you are in).

I'll see about putting in a setting for the room to display it in the menu count regardless of the permissions.

@CodingJungle Any word on this by chance? I'd be fine with a total count in the navbar of all rooms, just a total of people using the app that shows to all members and guests. Right now it only shows the navbar count if you are in a room which I think is pointless because you are in there already and can see a count. When that worked it showed a total count to guests and all members even when not in a room, it drew people to chat. Now I'm getting less and if its not going to be used, I'm going to have to drop it. I'm trying to stimulate users to go in to the app, but if they don't see a chat bubble count in the main menu or elsewhere, they don't click to go in, thinking no one is in there. Even guests would see a count of people chatting and login.

Also, I noticed native emojis work and come up in the editor when creating your chat message but emojione and twitter styles do not. If I use native and post a bunch of emojis in chat, then switch to twitter or emojione style in admin they do change in the chat interface. It's just they cant be used when composing a message for some reason. Any fix for this? I use emojione style on my board. 

Archived