Links Directory

2 minutes ago, Telemacus2 said:

At present, I don't think it's possible to add a link to more than 1 category.

No, the same way you can't add a topic to more than one forum or an image to more than one album. A "HUGE" core change is required to make that happen. You won't see it in any 3rd-party resource before IPS change it.

4 minutes ago, Telemacus2 said:

2) I don't think this is possible at present either (but I could be totally wrong!). I'd like links to have a "weight" value. Thus, the ones with more weight will be at the top and listed first. Admins can change the weight manually. 

No, there isn't but you can PIN the link; that will make it appear always first in category view.

Fair enough about the categories. 

As for pinning the links, sure, that's a workaround, but still rather limited if you've got several pinned topics, since you won't be able to choose the order in which they're listed. Not to mention that you could also have some links which you'd like to see listed last, and there's no way to do that. So I think this could be a pretty interesting new feature.

How can you say that you don't see value in this? the weight option has been used for decades in php link scripts.

Obviously the submitters have no say in the weight of a link, only the admins. (perhaps the default weight is, say, "5"). 

Since all new links get 5, the app sorts them using the default method.

However, when the admin changes the weight of a link, say 99, that link will appear first on the list. 0 appears last, and so on. 

Edited by Telemacus2
spelling
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed an issue using WebThumbnail?  I keep getting en error:

IPS\Http\Request\CurlException::52

Empty reply from server
#0 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Http/Request/Curl.php(402): IPS\Http\Request\_Curl->_execute()
#1 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Http/Request/Curl.php(278): IPS\Http\Request\_Curl->_executeAndFollowRedirects('GET', NULL)
#2 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/applications/links/sources/Screenshot/Api/Webthumbnail.php(51): IPS\Http\Request\_Curl->get()
#3 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/applications/links/sources/Screenshot/Screenshot.php(69): IPS\links\Screenshot\Api\_Webthumbnail->cacheThumb()
#4 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/applications/links/sources/Link/Link.php(499): IPS\links\_Screenshot->getImage()
#5 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Patterns/ActiveRecordIterator.php(51): IPS\links\_Link::constructFromData(Array)
#6 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/applications/links/widgets/linksStats.php(74): IPS\Patterns\_ActiveRecordIterator->current()
#7 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Widget/Widget.php(762): IPS\links\widgets\_linksStats->render()
#8 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Theme/Theme.php(824) : eval()'d code(17987): IPS\_Widget->__toString()
#9 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php(56): IPS\Theme\class_core_front_global->widgetContainer('sidebar', 'vertical')
#10 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Theme/Theme.php(824) : eval()'d code(13529): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call('widgetContainer', Array)
#11 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php(56): IPS\Theme\class_core_front_global->sidebar('right')
#12 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Theme/Theme.php(824) : eval()'d code(6308): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call('sidebar', Array)
#13 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php(56): IPS\Theme\class_core_front_global->globalTemplate('Upcoming ICO Ca...', '\n\n<div class="i...', Array)
#14 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(166): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call('globalTemplate', Array)
#15 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(103): IPS\_Dispatcher->finish()
#16 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Dispatcher/Front.php(562): IPS\Dispatcher\_Standard->finish()
#17 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/init.php(448) : eval()'d code(57): IPS\Dispatcher\_Front->finish()
#18 [internal function]: IPS\Dispatcher\sdoutdateemails_hook_sdOudateEmail->finish()
#19 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/init.php(448) : eval()'d code(42): call_user_func_array('parent::finish', Array)
#20 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(148): IPS\Dispatcher\hook385->finish()
#21 /home/nginx/domains/website/public/index.php(12): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#22 {main}

I also noticed when visiting webthumbnail.org that it redirects to subscription.webthumbnail.org.  I wonder if they've switched to subscription only?

I wrote a letter to the dev, I'll post the reply when I get one.

Hello.  I'm writing to find out if webthumbnail.org has switched to a subscription only model?  I was using the API for one of my sites and now I get an error - empty reply from server.

If webthumbnail.org is only subscription based now, how will the service determine my site is a subscription site?  There really isn't any information on your website, only a page to pay?  Do I have to enter my website address once I pay?

It might be good if you put a little more detail into the subscription page as far as how it works and some specs.  It appears that that's the only page available on the site.

Are you using Webthumbnail.org for commercial purposes or need better support or SLA?
Please subscribe to the Premium plan, you will get:

• VIP performance
  • VIP customization options
  • VIP support

What is the performance?
What are the options?
What kind of support?
Will there be a login page?  Right now everything re-directs to subscription.webthumbnail.org and I don't see any login on your only available page.  So, if I was a member, how do I login?

Based on how the information is presented, I might just switch to another paid service which clearly states what I'm getting and doesn't just plop me onto a subscription page.

Actually looking at thumbshots they have a deal for $9.99 a month.  Depending on how all webthumbnail turns out, I might just switch to thumbshots.

Edited by Bluto

Reply for webthumbnail.org

we've been working on the new version of the API with new features but also new limits clearly set. 
The reason for the error is most likely the overload of the robot nodes that do screenshots. We're fixing it right now.

With regards to the subscription model. We've been migrating to the new system called Miniature.io and thus we left only the subscription page from the legacy Webthumbnail.org.

You can still use the API for free, and basic functionality will remain free, however we're going to deploy new features including general Image manipulation, thumbnails and PDF generation and these will be available in the paid options.

Our roadmap is following:
- we are going to deploy the new version of the API this weekend in the night from Saturday to Sunday UTC
- we will expose a new endpoint, api-v2.miniature.io which will be backwards compatible with api.webthumbnail.org
- we will release a new basic landing with documentation for the new API
- when all tests are ok we will transparently switch api.webthumbnail.org to the api-v2.miniature.io
- we plan to release customer panel with customization options and detailed pricing plan with support levels before the end of this year.

TL;DR you can keep using our API and we will let you know next week the new documentation (features, limits, etc) and what is the progress on the final customer panel.

thanks,
Lukasz
Miniature.io / Webthumbnail.org

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked around quite a bit and can't seem to figure out how to allow users to "Follow" a category. I can see the Follow Button as an admin, but my users can not.  Similar to how users follow forum categories, I'd like for them to be able to be notified when new links are posted. Is there a setting to give them permission to follow categories?

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, BrickSeek said:

I've looked around quite a bit and can't seem to figure out how to allow users to "Follow" a category. I can see the Follow Button as an admin, but my users can not.  Similar to how users follow forum categories, I'd like for them to be able to be notified when new links are posted. Is there a setting to give them permission to follow categories?

Thanks!

Hi there. 

AFAIK, there’s no setting to disallow members to follow content/containers. Only guests cannot. It should appear to all registered members.