Return to top

TracyIsland

Attached is a video screen capture from the website Wayfair.com -

Okay, can't add the file - max file size is 30 mb and the capture is 34.7 mb.  I'll try to add it as a link via Drop Box.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbxztww4r743nsz/ScreenCaptureProject1.mp4?dl=0

As  I scroll down, a return to top button appears to the right.  This is so intuitive and makes browsing the website so easy.

Jump to the recent, very active topic in this community about IPS 4 Stability.  Lots of people are making comments.  I am following the topic.  I keep the forum active in one of my browser tabs. I jump around my browser, doing other things.  If I click on the tab for the IPS forum, there is a notification at the base of the screen indicating that a new reply has been made to a topic I am following. I click on it. I am taken to Matt's latest comment.  Now I want to move up and check my activity stream or do something else. 

Since there is no return to top button right there, I have to use my scroll wheel on my mouse, something not everyone has, and I have to scroll and scroll and scroll. That or I have to click and drag the vertical scroll bar to take me to the top.

Suggestion: add a return to top feature as a default with the IPB board, and maybe for pages and calendar, and wherever else that involves lots of scrolling to return to the top.

Justification: as a forum, a topic can have many replies and the user may be moving down and down and there is no quick way to return to the top.

Before you say it: yes, I know there is a plugin for this but given this is an expected feature, it is my contention that it should be a part of the IPB default system.  Okay, if you want to turn it off in the ACP, fine.

• Management

You can click home, command+up arrow, click the top of the scrollbar, drag the scrollbar, on iOS you can double-tap the status bar... all of these things take you to the top of the page. You really need an actual link that says "go to top?" If so, there is a quick plugin in the marketplace. 

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 0:33 PM, surferboy said:

Before you say it: yes, I know there is a plugin for this but given this is an expected feature, it is my contention that it should be a part of the IPB default system.  ...

Kenneth Cole's website has this feature.

National Institute of Health website has this feature.

eBay has this feature. 

Some just show an up carrot symbol. 

I'm not surprised by the comments; they all point to an 'admin-esque' point of view of how the end user "should" use a website in a browser.  My suggestion is based on what your average end user expects and finds convenient.

On 12/06/2016 at 0:04 AM, craigf136 said:

The same old argument of convenience for the site admin/members and what the developers think is right for everyone. Yes these things are available as plugins and that's OK but these sort of things really should be stock.

Top class sweeping statement.

I have this as a plugin but I didn't go searching for it. If it didn't exist I would not ask for it and none of my members ever have.

It appears to be commonly used, or at least some people consider it to be so but right now the opening post doesn't even have any likes -- I think if you support these ideas then using the metrics available is the best way to go; in this case simply click the like button whenever somebody suggest something that you agree should happen.

On 6/11/2016 at 3:35 PM, surferboy said:

Kenneth Cole's website has this feature.

I feel like this argument would resonate really well with @Charles.

IPS is making such a fashionista faux pas, and that we should click on "return to top" like we wear our shoes: the Kenneth Cole style.

The keyboard argument is so.......... Funny.

I would love to be on a forum view and when I press INSERT on my keyboard, bingo! Post screen!

Or even better. I'm as a moderator, press DEL on a topic and from out of nowhere should appear a confirmation delete topic message.

Lovely what a keyboard can do!

• Management

Literally a "top" link in the footer would make this point of discussion go away? ^_^ You're not asking for fancy overlays, moving carets, etc. - just a simple anchor link?

Although "top" links are becoming obsolete in the face of gestures, swipes, double-taps, shortcuts, etc. I can appreciate there's still some that are going to have "Go to Top" engraved on their tombstones, so if a simple link at a bottom of a page never to become more than a simple link at the bottom of a page, will reduce anxiety and stress and lead to happier, healthier lives, hey... I'm a man of the people. :D

Coming soon: footer page counter, guestbook and the little page under construction guy! 

(I kid, I kid. Thanks for being good sports.)

@Lindy  Actually what I was asking for and what I see on the websites I mentioned, and in the link to the video screen capture in my original post is a link that appears after you scroll down a bit.  Some of the sites have it appear from the side, but all of them have one thing in common - the link stays in the same location once you have scrolled down some distance.  That means it essentially hovers to the lower right of the screen as you scroll down or up.  Click on it and zoom, up you go.

Check it out on Kenneth Cole's website, on eBay ...

On 11 June 2016 at 8:18 PM, Lindy said:

on iOS you can double-tap the status bar...

I was going to chime in and say that I installed such a plugin on my board because I find it so annoying to browse this site on my phone and get RSI scrolling back to the top. Must check out this double-tap you speak of! :shifty:

Edit: Hmm, can't seem to find anything that does that. What am I clicking the web address at the top? Just asks me to overtype the address.

19 hours ago, Simon Woods said:

Top class sweeping statement.

I have this as a plugin but I didn't go searching for it. If it didn't exist I would not ask for it and none of my members ever have.

It appears to be commonly used, or at least some people consider it to be so but right now the opening post doesn't even have any likes -- I think if you support these ideas then using the metrics available is the best way to go; in this case simply click the like button whenever somebody suggest something that you agree should happen.

Sweeping statement lol..

The simple fact of the matter is this, convenience is what users expect and demand, whether you believe it to be right or wrong. It's the end user who you/we want to attract to our sites and remain and if a back to top is part of the equation, then it should be a stock item "enable back to top" yes/no in ACP general configuration is all that is needed, it's not adding anything in regards to weight.

It's like the same argument with status updates, you can reply to a status update and the update is condensed requiring the user to go to someone's profile to see the update, back to the main index to see others and rinse and repeat - something which was stock in IPS3 and no longer in IPS4 and takes forever replying to status update. It's the issue of convenience and making the end users life easier to keep them, not more difficult.

To be fair I do agree with this. Most websites will have a button or link or something to indicate that clicking it will take you to the top. Especially with message boards.

It's very well to say that we could use various keyboard options, but consider this.

The rich text editor allows you to use keyboard functions to make your text bold, italicised and underlined, but the option is provided for users to click on the icon to do it. This is done because it improves the user experience. It is also useful for accessibility reasons.

We know that you can do various things in order to return to the top of the page, but for user experience, a button or link is best. I think sometimes we think too much like admins and not like users.

15 hours ago, Lindy said:

Literally a "top" link in the footer would make this point of discussion go away? ^_^ You're not asking for fancy overlays, moving carets, etc. - just a simple anchor link?

Although "top" links are becoming obsolete in the face of gestures, swipes, double-taps, shortcuts, etc. I can appreciate there's still some that are going to have "Go to Top" engraved on their tombstones, so if a simple link at a bottom of a page never to become more than a simple link at the bottom of a page, will reduce anxiety and stress and lead to happier, healthier lives, hey... I'm a man of the people. :D

Coming soon: footer page counter, guestbook and the little page under construction guy! 

(I kid, I kid. Thanks for being good sports.)

you got me excited there for a second with the hope that "page" counters would be making a comeback!

Archived