I was really disappointed

modman

4 hours ago, modman said:

I need the solutions for Ip.Pages (it is the only component in IPS that doesn't work in multilanguages)

I cannot change PHP code, becouse i make page with editor, its not good idea to create page with php code

IPS can apply a change in the next update to resolve this, but for them this is not important

It's not a simple fix though. I don't think you can really say that for them it is not important. Multilingual sites (even for bespoke websites) are a nightmare to do on the same domain, without using PHP code to save sessions etc. Hence why most companies tend to have a separate domain for that country.

@Meddysong Not a bad though - although for a fully multi-lingual site the directory structure would also need to be renamed.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CalvinK said:

@Meddysong Not a bad though - although for a fully multi-lingual site the directory structure would also need to be renamed.

Yep, that would be ideal. But since it's not possible to do that, then the fallback would be to have a translatable field for content (just as the page has already for its title). What's the point of a language-specific name for a page if the content can only be monolingual?

24 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Would'nt it be possible to have those members that want to read a second language (ie Spanish) in a secondary group - and then display only Spanish articles to members in that secondary group - and also at the same time give them all the other languagesettings for that specific language?

The problem with that would be people having to request a new language, rather than it being something they could select themselves.

My personal approach would be to have two different message boards as it seems like such a hassle to try to manage separately.

2 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Would'nt it be possible to have those members that want to read a second language (ie Spanish) in a secondary group - and then display only Spanish articles to members in that secondary group - and also at the same time give them all the other languagesettings for that specific language?

Sure it’s possible, but what about guests? Having articles accessible to everyone is the normal thing to do and can actually be quite important to attract new members. But you can’t ask them to create an account first just to access the right articles. 

1 hour ago, modman said:

for them this is not important...

IPS makes software for it’s users. Everything gets important as long as it’s important enough for a significant number of IPS clients. Communities with translatable content throughout the suite isn’t something that everyone wants, let alone needs. Heck, not even the world’s most-used CMS WordPress has this multi-language use built into the core software. The IPS 4.x framework made improvements regarding multi-language use. Maybe future versions can improve on that. (I would certainly like that.) Just make a new post in the feedback forum and describe how you envision it to work. Complaining alone doesn’t help much, nor suggesting that it’s supposedly important but “they” just don’t want to see it. 

1 hour ago, CalvinK said:

The problem with that would be people having to request a new language, rather than it being something they could select themselves.

Everything is solveable. I give my members special groupaccess with commerce - a part of the core product - so they decide their group that way and I have income. I don't know if that's a solution with the languageproblem, but for me the article system as it is is OK enough..

38 minutes ago, modman said:

whatdo you think @lindy and @mark s ?

If mentions don't work for you (?)- try to clear cache (Ctrl-F5.) 

I was disappointed with 4.0 when it came out - but I'm very happy with most of it now. The missing VNC is still something my members are asking about. Anyway - we all get used to this new stuff.

2 hours ago, modman said:

If I am not mistaken IPS does not respect the rules of google HREF for multilanguage:

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/189077?hl=it

IPS doesn't have to abide by the rules of Google. Google have no enforcemnt capabilities and are not a statutory body. Suggesting that IPS has to follow rules that Google, another company, has set, is a little bit silly.

29 minutes ago, modman said:

I'm creating a page in Ip.page, how it is possible to create text with H1 and H2 tag for text?

to improve SEO performance you must use these tags

Just as there are buttons for bold and italic text, you can also easily add buttons for the headline tags you want. 

(P.S. Maybe its better to start a new topic for such questions.)

In all honesty, it's easier to let browsers these days handle translations for you.  

How many people are going to create an article and translate that article into a handful of languages, based on whichever other language packs they have installed?  That still doesn't help you with the 6,495 the languages out there.  

It's best to leave the article in your default language and let the browser do the heavy lifting for you.  

9 hours ago, Aiwa said:

In all honesty, it's easier to let browsers these days handle translations for you.  

How many people are going to create an article and translate that article into a handful of languages, based on whichever other language packs they have installed?  That still doesn't help you with the 6,495 the languages out there.  

It's best to leave the article in your default language and let the browser do the heavy lifting for you.  

We run up against this issue in our community.  We have a special custom-made translate button for our users to read an article in their language, based on their country of registration.  But your assumption that browsers can always serve you well in handling translations depends on the language.  As an admin, I curate a lot of media articles, many of which are in a foreign language.  The english browser translation works well for Polish, for Dutch, for Hungarian, for Slovak, as examples.  The english translation of German, Italian, and some other languages is horrible.  The reader really only comprehends half of the article.

The browser translator? Google.

10 hours ago, Aiwa said:

How absurd to suggest that anyone would want to have an article available in so many languages.

Far more realistic is that somebody like me, who has taken the time to translate a language pack and have the site headings, descriptions, categories, menu items etc in the second language might just want to make sure that content in certain site infrastructure is visible in that second language too.

12 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

How absurd to suggest that anyone would want to have an article available in so many languages.

I know!  How absurd!!!

10 hours ago, Aiwa said:

... translate that article into a handful of languages, based on whichever other language packs they have installed?  

1 hour ago, surferboy said:

... Polish, for Dutch, for Hungarian, for Slovak, ... German, Italian, and some other languages is horrible. 

Which is extraneous to the argument started in this thread. The source of complaint about multilingual functionality is that IPS doesn't offer a method for those of us who want to fully target an additional language. We can use translatable fields so that the menu items, descriptions, headings etc display in the second language, but that's only half the job when the content is still in the first language.

I don't particularly care about giving my users the option of typing everything in two languages, which would be overkill in my opinion. It's the admin that requires it for parts of the infrastructure. Picture the IPS site, if it catered to two language groups: You could switch the menu items etc, but the text on display would still be in English. There's clearly room for improvement.

we can add custom string in ACP > languages and then write articles with %string_variable%

it is better to add the possibility to insert different content for how many languages are installed in the board, mod very simply to do...

12 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

I want my language to be totally fluent and grammatically correct on my site. I can speak and write my language fluently. Google Translate can't.

I can't see what the mystery is here. If IPS were a two-language site, then you'd expect to see this when you change languages:

full-2nd.png

But you'd actually see this:

partial-2nd.png

That's a frustration for those of us who run a multilingual site.

4 hours ago, surferboy said:

We run up against this issue in our community.  We have a special custom-made translate button for our users to read an article in their language, based on their country of registration.  But your assumption that browsers can always serve you well in handling translations depends on the language.  As an admin, I curate a lot of media articles, many of which are in a foreign language.  The english browser translation works well for Polish, for Dutch, for Hungarian, for Slovak, as examples.  The english translation of German, Italian, and some other languages is horrible.  The reader really only comprehends half of the article.

The browser translator? Google.

You can translate yourself in Chrome for example. After that, people will see your translation if they choose to see it.

sometime im too disappointed!

i've more bug opened, some of this report as fixed (eg, langstring), instead bug still persist.

bug also in blog, bug in homepagetitle, bug in editor abbr. tag (opened just now), bug in tasks sitemap, and maybe other I cannot more remember!

so, two support request opened, and some bug opened (some of this are old).

ipb can bee a good product, but atm contain a lot of bug and seems to be more at every upgrade! Pay for this and renew this can be sadness.

I admin some WordPress blogs and I cannot found a bug from "I don't remember time". And... Is free!

anyway, i really appreciate some member staff and time for try to resolve my issue (other member staff resolve with:isn't a bug, ask to host, is an your problem, closed, fixed... and bug, instead, is present and usually, is caused by latest ipb release).

cause of this, I'm still undecided to renew my license (expire in some day).

but, sadly, seems to not exist a convert from ip.pages to WordPress, then I cannot migrate.

I really hope ipb, sweetly, can change something and resolve this.

ps: Sorry for my poor English. I hope can be understandable.

Archived