I was really disappointed

modman

34 minutes ago, modman said:

Have you ever created using a visual editor page with IPS?

It is possible that an image will have to be above or below the text?

Why the text can not be next to the image?

This is possible, I do it on my own forum all the time, see.

Also, please list the free software you inferred could do the things IPS doesn't do natively that you think it should.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, modman said:

Others platforms are free...

You are a programmer, IPS is good only for you

With respect, I've tried several free platforms (Xoops, Joomla, Drupal) which are ok, but don't offer anything like the advanced customer support Invision has.  Depending on what your needs are, you're paying for consistent updates and support that has a certain level of standards you unfortunately rarely get with open source communities in my experience.

Now I will say that one of the frustrating things about IPB is the inconsistent and often vague documentation, which often doesn't cover very simple and straightforward things (even adding a few lines to describe functions in the AdminCP would be a big bonus if you ask me!).  But again, I've found Invision's customer support to be very professional and (almost) always satisfying.

I realize your issues seem to be unique (just as I myself have run into unexpected errors that have really frustrated me on occasion, as my use of the suite differs from 99% of other users here).  But sadly there are never any guarantees with any software that is released as "in-progress," which is what people do nowadays.

I used to be a programmer but no longer have time to be a code monkey (respect to code monkeys everywhere! :thumbsup:).  But I still get lots of use out of the suite (obviously, since I've been with Invision for years), even if I sometimes wish I could code what I wanted to add in PHP.  And, as others have said, IPB is always evolving.

3 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

With respect, I've tried several free platforms (Xoops, Joomla, Drupal) which are ok, but don't offer anything like the advanced customer support Invision has.  Depending on what your needs are, you're paying for consistent updates and support that has a certain level of standards you unfortunately rarely get with open source communities in my experience.

Now I will say that one of the frustrating things about IPB is the inconsistent and often vague documentation, which often doesn't cover very simple and straightforward things (even adding a few lines to describe functions in the AdminCP would be a big bonus if you ask me!).  But again, I've found Invision's customer support to be very professional and (almost) always satisfying.

I realize your issues seem to be unique (just as I myself have run into unexpected errors that have really frustrated me on occasion, as my use of the suite differs from 99% of other users here).  But sadly there are never any guarantees with any software that is released as "in-progress," which is what people do nowadays.

I used to be a programmer but no longer have time to be a code monkey (respect to code monkeys everywhere! :thumbsup:).  But I still get lots of use out of the suite (obviously, since I've been with Invision for years), even if I sometimes wish I could code what I wanted to add in PHP.  And, as others have said, IPB is always evolving.

Wouldnt like to disappoint ;)

https://invisionpower.com/4guides/

13 minutes ago, CalvinK said:

plugins/addons to be developed by the community. As it already is.

Plugins are really low quality and dangerous

Without forgetting that every platform upgrade produces errors!

It would be different if they were certified by IPS (at least on compatibility and security of data, but it is not, IPS does not assume any responsibility)

My data is important! I do not know those who develop plugins
I tried +40 plugin, now my board is free from these scripts full of errors

For @NoGi and @RevengeFNF:

Can not you understand that my outburst serves to improve and advise staff
You are only good at advising the user to change the platform
Please intervene with constructive feedback, not repetitive, not useless

4 minutes ago, modman said:

For @NoGi and @RevengeFNF:

Can not you understand that my outburst serves to improve and advise staff
You are only good at advising the user to change the platform
Please intervene with constructive feedback, not repetitive, not useless

What do you want me to say more? I use IPS since 2003, that is 13 years...

My site always worked flawless. Everytime i needed support, IPS staff was there for me. What can i ask more?

I highly doubt you can find something better, but its your decision.

1 minute ago, liquidfractal said:

I do check these guides fairly often...I think they're a great start, but without having time right now to go into specifics I know they sometimes leave me wanting more.

Feel free to shout up if you find anything missing that you would like to know more about. Certainly not apposed to peoples input

3 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Wouldnt like to disappoint ;)

https://invisionpower.com/4guides/

This has been very useful for a number of things I've been working on (primarily styling blocks in IP.Pages) however to take the matter off topic, how can I style tabular data in IPS, responsively? I'm trying to create a scorecard for the Euro 2016 football matches and I'm having to rely on tables.

@modman

At the same time though you can't expect IPS to create every single customisation that every single customer might require. As for the actual plugins, the marketplace allows reviews, so it is self policing.

It's a similar setup in that you would not expect Apple or Google to create every single app that every single customer wants.

If you want custom development from IPS - https://invisionpower.com/services/enterprise

That level of one-on-one bespoke services will cost you though.

51 minutes ago, CalvinK said:

Provide some constructive feedback, stating exactly what you would like to be in, and IPS will listen. They might not necessarily agree, but I have always found that Lindy will provide a reason as to why they disagree instead of simply stating "No."

Agreed.  It's frustrating as hell when something you passionately think should be changed (or, in my opinion, fixed) is dropped.  Very occasionally, certain staff here have simply dismissed it as "well that's the way it is" (although this could just be me misreading a response).  But the point has been made elsewhere here - where are you going to find a suite that magically takes all of one's considerations on board and makes their product custom tailored to one person?

And I would like to restate CalvinK's point: everything introduced into a software system always runs the risk of affecting something else in the system - nobody can magically see a complicated software system from all ends at once.  Especially when one installs a lot of plugins, whether they're written by IPS staff or third parties!

3 minutes ago, CalvinK said:

This has been very useful for a number of things I've been working on (primarily styling blocks in IP.Pages) however to take the matter off topic, how can I style tabular data in IPS, responsively? I'm trying to create a scorecard for the Euro 2016 football matches and I'm having to rely on tables.

Not a designer myself, but post yourself another topic in peer to peer with an example of what you mean, and will see if I can figure it out with you.

4 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Feel free to shout up if you find anything missing that you would like to know more about. Certainly not apposed to peoples input

This I know...which is exactly why I've been a client for years and started another account with a colleague :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, Claire Field said:

This is possible, I do it on my own forum all the time, see.

How do you make it? With HTML or editor?

Here is a summary of the missing features and bugs of IPS:

1. When you uninstalled a plugin, they generate permanent errors in the board
  2. IPS doens't allow to disable file version in IP.Download
  3. IPS doesn't allow to upload multiple files in the same time in Ip.Download
  4. IPS doesn't allow to create articles and pages in multiple languages (all the site work in multiple languages, the simplest things no!)
  5. IPS doesn't allow to set target in href (_blank, ecc..) in image link
  6. IPS doesn't allow a jquery slider native
  7. IPS doens't allow to limit download for file linked in a text in a file in ip.download (guest can download it!!!)
  8. Why to insert a simple map of google without a plugin?
  9. Have you ever tried searching in the download section?It doen't working!
  10. IPS doesn't allow to show similar topics
  11. IPS doens't automatically share content with ANJ socialnetwork, it doens't function
  12. If you are using subscriptions, and afford to pay 1, 6 or 12 months, users can not migrate more expensive subscription by paying the difference (I opened a ticket and they told me that you can not do because the same subscription can be purchased in different ways since it contains more prices according to monthly)

You may need to think about whether it’s a case of they don’t allow or these are features no one has requested\or want. If you want them so bad, put in a properly constructed feature request post.

Still waiting for your list of free software that apparently does everything.

1 minute ago, NoGi said:

You may need to think about whether it’s a case of they don’t allow or these are features no one has requested\or want. If you want them so bad, put in a properly constructed feature request post

These points are the original functions of IPSthat do not work:

The others are my requests that IPS can also ignore (I'm writing and pay for 10 years)

How do you make it? With HTML or editor?

With the editor. When you post an image in IPS4 you get the option to double click it or do ctrl+right click - you get the options to edit the image. When editing you can alter the size and alignment. By using the left or right justified alignment it allows you to have text as in the link, like so:

Example 1.png

1 minute ago, modman said:

These points are the original functions of IPSthat do not work:

The others are my requests that IPS can also ignore (I'm writing and pay for 10 years)

IPS allows you to create extra languages to translate the board. There are about 6500 languages in the world. It is not their job to translate the board into every single possible language. If you want to translate a post or a page, create a new one with the translated language in. That's what every other website does.

20 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Not a designer myself, but post yourself another topic in peer to peer with an example of what you mean, and will see if I can figure it out with you.

I posted it in Customisation Resources as I felt it was better off in there -

1 hour ago, modman said:

IPS doens't allow to disable file version in IP.Download

Actually you can.  In the AdminCP, go to Community>Downloads>Categories>Create New.  Then, under the Submissions tab, under the Versioning header, you will see how to enable and control the number of versions.  The only issue I have seen with this is if you disable it for some strange reason there is still a version field in file submissions.  However, all you have to do is clear this field entirely and no version number will show up.  Somewhat cumbersome but it's workable.

1 hour ago, modman said:

IPS doesn't allow to upload multiple files in the same time in Ip.Download

Do you mean multiple files to a category, or multiple files for a single entry in IP.Download?  Adding multiple files to a category does work (just select Upload Multiple Files when you click an Upload button), although not currently for me due to a problem with the Javascript (which will be fixed in 4.1.13 I am told).  To add multiple files to a single entry, alas, isn't as direct.  So far as I know you have to upload a single file, then click the File Actions button and select Upload a new version, THEN upload files without specifying a version number.  I'm going to post this on feedback, but I know that IPB 3.x was more straightforward and clearer about posting multiple files under a single IP.Downloads entry.

Perhaps there are too many other unique issues you're having with the suite, but I thought I could shed some light on these two issues anyway.

1 hour ago, CP said:

Why not take a break and reply tomorrow? Sometimes we just need a little time to rethink things. ^_^ 

As I mentioned, take a break for tonight and reply tomorrow. 

8 hours ago, Claire Field said:

With the editor. When you post an image in IPS4 you get the option to double click it or do ctrl+right click - you get the options to edit the image. When editing you can alter the size and alignment. By using the left or right justified alignment it allows you to have text as in the link, like so:

Example 1.png

Thanks you, i will check immediately!

8 hours ago, CalvinK said:

IPS allows you to create extra languages to translate the board. There are about 6500 languages in the world. It is not their job to translate the board into every single possible language. If you want to translate a post or a page, create a new one with the translated language in. That's what every other website does.

I don't want that IPS translate 6500 languages

I need a solution to creating page in multiple languages, i can't find how to do this, i've open a ticket and they tell me that this is impossibile

Can you explain better how to do it? 

6 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

Actually you can.  In the AdminCP, go to Community>Downloads>Categories>Create New.  Then, under the Submissions tab, under the Versioning header, you will see how to enable and control the number of versions.  The only issue I have seen with this is if you disable it for some strange reason there is still a version field in file submissions.  However, all you have to do is clear this field entirely and no version number will show up.  Somewhat cumbersome but it's workable.

This is fantastic, but it doesn't work!

6 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

Do you mean multiple files to a category, or multiple files for a single entry in IP.Download?  Adding multiple files to a category does work (just select Upload Multiple Files when you click an Upload button), although not currently for me due to a problem with the Javascript (which will be fixed in 4.1.13 I am told).  To add multiple files to a single entry, alas, isn't as direct.  So far as I know you have to upload a single file, then click the File Actions button and select Upload a new version, THEN upload files without specifying a version number.  I'm going to post this on feedback, but I know that IPB 3.x was more straightforward and clearer about posting multiple files under a single IP.Downloads entry.

This is fantastic, but it doesn't work!

Multiple upload doesn't enable button to go in the next page after you have uploaded multiple files (ticket opened)

If you allow admin to bulk import from local folder and put file by FTP, it doesn't allow to import folder, you HAVE to import one file for time!

This functions was working in IPS 3.4

Since time is released IPS 4.x?

Why in this time, after +100 fix, they have not yet restored the functions that already existed in IPS 3.4?

Multiple upload doesn't enable button to go in the next page after you have uploaded multiple files (ticket opened)

Yes - this is the same problem I am currently having, and the one which, I am told, will be fixed in 4.1.13.  I, too, didn't have this problem before, but a few other people have it.

Also, with regard to versions: I could be wrong, but I remember reading about how if you create a category with versioning enabled, then upload some files, then disable versioning in the category, that it might not work for some reason.  I tend to leave the troubleshooting to people with more knowledge than myself, but have you tried creating a new category without versioning enabled, then moving your files or re-uploading them?

I also don't necessarily think that IPS 4.x is necessarily meant to "restore" all the functions in IPS 3.x.  It's entirely possible that the team decided that some functions (e.g. linking to an external blog) weren't all that necessary and just let them fall.  Alas, no company on earth can create a software package that caters to every client's needs at a given time.

3 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

Also, with regard to versions: I could be wrong, but I remember reading about how if you create a category with versioning enabled, then upload some files, then disable versioning in the category, that it might not work for some reason.  I tend to leave the troubleshooting to people with more knowledge than myself, but have you tried creating a new category without versioning enabled, then moving your files or re-uploading them?

I have +25.000 file uploaded, i can't download it and reupload

3 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

I also don't necessarily think that IPS 4.x is necessarily meant to "restore" all the functions in IPS 3.x.  It's entirely possible that the team decided that some functions (e.g. linking to an external blog) weren't all that necessary and just let them fall.  Alas, no company on earth can create a software package that caters to every client's needs at a given time.

Un upgrade from 3.4 to 4.x NOT must remove existing features

IPS 4 came out for a long time, but they are doing nothing to restore these missing functions

Possibly IPS4 was not yet ripe when it came out?

11 hours ago, modman said:

I don't want that IPS translate 6500 languages

I need a solution to creating page in multiple languages, i can't find how to do this, i've open a ticket and they tell me that this is impossibile

Can you explain better how to do it? 

I don't know how to make it clearer.

The best option is to create two separate pages. That's what every other website does with multiple languages. If I create a website, I have an English version and another version for every other language I want to have.

It is very easy to add language packs to the software in order to translate your board. However if you are creating custom pages then you will have to create two separate pages. You could probably use some PHP code somewhere to show a certain piece of content only if the user's language has been sent to a particular language ID.

But this is a modification that you will have to make when writing a page in IP.Page.

What are you wanting the solution for? IP.Pages or IP.Board?

14 hours ago, CalvinK said:

You could probably use some PHP code somewhere to show a certain piece of content only if the user's language has been sent to a particular language ID.

I need the solutions for Ip.Pages (it is the only component in IPS that doesn't work in multilanguages)

I cannot change PHP code, becouse i make page with editor, its not good idea to create page with php code

IPS can apply a change in the next update to resolve this, but for them this is not important

18 hours ago, CalvinK said:

I don't know how to make it clearer.

The best option is to create two separate pages. That's what every other website does with multiple languages. If I create a website, I have an English version and another version for every other language I want to have.

That doesn't work here at all.

Think of the front page here. If you click the menu item "Our Apps", you get taken to the page /features/apps. If this were a multilingual site, the menu items would display in another level but that link would still always take you to the English-language page features/apps.

If it were possible to have the menu items linking to different articles depending on the language in use, then creating several pages in different languages would be fine. But that isn't possible within Pages.

Archived