Keep position after hide or delete

Michael Grote

After hiding more than one or deleting one post the system takes me to the first post in the thread.
This is bad as I have to search for the position I came from, especially in threads with a lot of posts on several pages

I would be much better to be put to the post before the deleted/hidden one

Regards

• 1 month later...

I see this has been marked "Planned". But I just wish to clarify all the cases here. I would prefer if IPS could confirm that they'll go through all of these. Because some of the possible things you can do currently works as expected, while some of it doesn't. Please acknowledge all the different cases here, so you don't believe it's fixed because you don't test all the possible actions. 

I've had moderators complain about the non-working examples I provide further below ever since we upgraded to IPS 4 (and some of it on IPS 3). It's still a major pet-peeve for them. 

Hide/unhide single post: Should take you back to the hidden post if you can see hidden posts or the page you were on (if you can't see hidden).

Hide multiple posts: Should take you to the post you selected to hide last before you ran the action, if you can see hidden posts, or back to the page you were on (if you can't see hidden).

Delete single post: Should take you back to the page you were on.

Delete multiple posts: Should take you back to the page you were on before you ran the action if it exists, if it doesn't it should take you to the last page. Alternatively to the most recent post posted before the last of the posts you selected to delete. 

Please note: I have only tested the following with ajax pagination turned off, as I didn't want to have the testing here complicated by potential issues triggered by ajax pagination itself)

It currently seems to work when you:

• When you hide or unhide a single post by clicking "Options -> Hide/Unhide" on the post (Works even with click to open in new tab/javascript disabled/malfunctioning)
  • Delete a single post by clicking "Options -> Delete" on the post (However, it does not work in this case if you click to open in new tab/javascript is disabled/malfunctioning. It should in my opinion.)
  • Delete multiple posts on the same page. (So you only selected two posts on page 2 for example and then selected to delete)

It does not work when you: 

• Delete multiple posts spanning several pages. In this case it redirects you to the first page you started selecting posts from. So if you selected one post from page 2 and then one post from page 3 it will redirect you back to page 2, even though page 3 still exists. I also tested to select one post from page 3 and then select one post from page 2, which then redirected me to page 3.

What it should do: Redirect you back to the page you were on. If the page no longer exists it should redirect you to the last page. Or the newest post of the ones posted before the last one you selected to delete.

• Hide/Unhide multiple posts on the same page or spanning several pages. In this case it consistently redirects you back to the first page.

What it should do: Redirect you back to the page you were on before you ran the action or redirect you to the post you selected to hide last if you can see hidden posts.

• Delete a single post with use of "Open link in new tab" or if javascript is disabled or malfunctions. In this case it redirects to the first page. It should redirect to the page you were on or the newest post of the ones posted before the one you deleted.

• 2 months later...

Archived