OAuth Server

wohali

UPDATE RE: DOES ROCKET.CHAT WORK WITH IPS CLOUD?

No. It does not. I finally got an answer directly from Rocket.Chat. I wish I could take back the hours I worked on this, but hey, maybe I can help save someone else a day or two of life. I really wish there were some clear indications of which third-party plugins *do not* work with Cloud platform of IPS. Or maybe there is, and I have missed it?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are correct Rocket.Chat will not currently work with IPS Cloud. But not for the reasons you think.

Rocket.Chat is a stand-alone service hosted on another "Cloud" provider. IPS Cloud is hosted on IPS's Servers.

This OAuth Server allows you to login to Rocket.Chat with your Forums Credentials. The OAuth Server application however does not currently work with IPS Cloud's security settings.

IPS Cloud may be able to change the permissions of this OAuth Server application's files.

Or wohali can look into addressing the application to work with IPS Cloud. It is something he's mentioned before.

"She."

And yes, I'm happy to speak with the IPS Cloud providers about this bug. I will update this thread when I know more. Again, sorry for the delay, I have been ill this past week.

EDIT: I have filed a support request with IPS to see if there is anything I need to do to enable my application to work correctly with IPS Cloud. I'll update the thread here once I know more.

@wohali thank you! I know you are busy, so I appreciate this very much. Thank you.

@Mastric does this mean that if we get oAuth to work with IPS Cloud so that members can use their community credentials to log into Rocket.Chat, then although we may not be able to embed or integrate the actual chat system into our community, we could link to the apps for members to use as a standalone option? Am I understanding correctly?

If that's the case, I am okay with that until better solutions come along or someone creates a way to integrate and embed directly into the community.

Hi folks,

@Vegan Gaymer I got a response from IPS and should have a solution for you in a couple of days.

Again, so it is clear:

• My add-on enables OAuth Server functionality in IPS. This is just a standard programming integration that allows other programs (like Rocket.Chat) to use IPS's user database for login. You know those "Log into <website> with your Google Account" buttons? Same idea, my software allows people to write websites that can have "Log into <website> with your IPS Account" buttons.
  • The Rocket.Chat server itself will not run on the IPS Cloud. You need to provision this separately. You have three choices : Rocket.Chat Cloud beta, one of the PaaS Deloyment options, or you can run your own server.
  • With this coming fix you should be able to install the updated OAuth Server on IPS Cloud, run your own Rocket.Chat, and integrate the two.
  • You can then use Pages / a Custom Widget / etc. to embed Rocket.Chat on your website.

Hope this helps.

@David.. I don't have anything set up at this time, but if you want to send me some money, you can buy my most recent album here: http://wohali-music.bandcamp.com/album/variety-show

Hi @SerialNoob, it looks like the WP-Oauth plugin for WordPress will do what you want, in conjunction with my addon. I've never tried it.

Proceed in the usual way to set up my addon in the ACP.

In the WP plugin, you'll need to pick the "OAuth Server" option, then according to their instructions,  "setup your desired authentication providers’ API key/secret in the WordPress backend under Settings > WP-OAuth."

Let us know how it goes!

I have released a new version that fixes all known bugs and adds support for all outstanding enhancement requests. This should make @Matthew H. very happy.

New in v1.3.0:

• Fix execute permissions on interface pages (visit ACP > Community > OAuth2 Server > Applications to fix older, broken installations)
  • Fix double-login required on initial visit (RFC3986 compatible argument passing)
  • Enable your site's global template on authorization page
  • Allow localisation of "Yes" and "No" on authorization page

@Vegan Gaymer this should solve your problems with the IPS Cloud. Just visit the ACP "OAuth Server" page and the installation should be fixed. Let me know if you try it out!

On 6/25/2017 at 9:24 PM, wohali said:

@Vegan Gaymer this should solve your problems with the IPS Cloud. Just visit the ACP "OAuth Server" page and the installation should be fixed. Let me know if you try it out!

Okay, so it seems to be working, and I can't thank you enough for working on this so quickly! There is only one problem. When I clicked on the Join Via TLE (my community log in), it went to the proper login page, but once logged in it just framed the whole site, but didn't do anything. I could navigate my entire site, but it was not clear what to do for Rocket.Chat. So I closed the frame and I was still not logged in. So I clicked to log in again and that time it asked for the permissions and all went well.

Before I announce to my community that we have Rocket.Chat, I want to ask if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a way to get that initial login to go directly to the permission page so it takes us into Rocket.Chat right away?

Thanks!

EMBEDDING or INTEGRATING ROCKET.CHAT?

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, so I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong place, but how do we integrate Rocket.Chat seamlessly into our cloud-hosted IPS community? I am currently on the $50/month plan with Rocket.Chat which I think is their own cloud-hosted option, but all documentation is for local hosting. Is embedding or integration an option for our communities, or do I only have the option to promote a link to the apps? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Vegan Gaymer said:

Okay, so it seems to be working, and I can't thank you enough for working on this so quickly! There is only one problem. When I clicked on the Join Via TLE (my community log in), it went to the proper login page, but once logged in it just framed the whole site, but didn't do anything. I could navigate my entire site, but it was not clear what to do for Rocket.Chat. So I closed the frame and I was still not logged in. So I clicked to log in again and that time it asked for the permissions and all went well.

Before I announce to my community that we have Rocket.Chat, I want to ask if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a way to get that initial login to go directly to the permission page so it takes us into Rocket.Chat right away?

Thanks!

My pleasure, I'm glad it fixed your (first) problem.

After logging in through your "Join via TLE" button it should be redirecting right back to Rocket.Chat to start the chat system, which should bring up the web chat interface. Please double check that your Redirect URI is set correctly in the ACP under ACP > Community > OAuth2 Server > Applications > (your integration) > Edit (pencil icon) > Redirect URI. It should be of the form http(s)://your.rocketchat.server/_oauth/<keyword>

Another thing that might help is, in the Rocket.Chat configuration (Administration > OAuth > Custom OAuth: <keyword> > Login Style, choose Redirect instead of Popup. However, both should work fine. Experiment with both settings to see which you prefer.

2 hours ago, Vegan Gaymer said:

EMBEDDING or INTEGRATING ROCKET.CHAT?

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, so I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong place, but how do we integrate Rocket.Chat seamlessly into our butt-hosted IPS community? I am currently on the $50/month plan with Rocket.Chat which I think is their own butt-hosted option, but all documentation is for local hosting. Is embedding or integration an option for our communities, or do I only have the option to promote a link to the apps? Thanks!

You have a number of options here. If you have a license for IPS Pages, you can create a page that embeds Rocket.Chat via an iframe tag.

If you don't have Pages, you can install a widget plugin that allows you to insert custom HTML, then use an iframe in that widget to embed Rocket.Chat in your website.

This has been discussed previously in this thread, here is the start of 5 relevant posts that include instructions and pointers to an "Online Chat Users" widget written by @ossipetz:

@wohali Thanks! I see that I can embed in a widget, but it's all smashed so it's not very practical for site-wide chat. I see the thread where someone has it installed as a persistent chat bar at the bottom of the community, but I don't see any instructions for how to do that. I'm on the cloud-hosted version of IPS, if that makes a difference.

16 hours ago, Vegan Gaymer said:

@wohali Thanks! I see that I can embed in a widget, but it's all smashed so it's not very practical for site-wide chat. I see the thread where someone has it installed as a persistent chat bar at the bottom of the community, but I don't see any instructions for how to do that. I'm on the cloud-hosted version of IPS, if that makes a difference.

I didn't know it could be installed as a chatbar, I'd love to learn to do that! 

Part of RocketChat allows ?layout=embedded

<iframe id="rocketchat-iframe" src="https://chat.atrgamers.com/channel/general?layout=embedded" style="width:100%;height:250px;border:none;background-color:transparent" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

3 hours ago, Mastric said:

Part of RocketChat allows ?layout=embedded

<iframe id="rocketchat-iframe" src="https://chat.atrgamers.com/channel/general?layout=embedded" style="width:100%;height:250px;border:none;background-color:transparent" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Forgive my n00bs, but what does this mean and where would one use it? [edit: I figured it out]

1 hour ago, Vegan Gaymer said:

Forgive my n00bs, but what does this mean and where would one use it?

@Mastric - ooo, I tried this in a widget and it looks great when I leave it with your link, but as soon as I change it to mine I get this loop that returns the user to the entire site within the frame instead of the chat. Do you know why? I turned off the pop-up option because of this issue, but even with it off now, it still happens.

Because a user has to log in to IPS, IPS is already logging that user's IP address and does geo lookup for you under the member's page in the ACP.

I don't think it's a good idea for me to additionally stick every OAuth login in a table (which is how logs are implemented in IPS). It would grow large very quickly and be difficult to prune/manage.

If you're writing your own IPS application, or have access to the database, you can look in the oauth2server_members table to see everyone who has used the integration at least once. You can combine this with core member table information as above to get most of what you're looking for.

4 hours ago, Vegan Gaymer said:

@Mastric - ooo, I tried this in a widget and it looks great when I leave it with your link, but as soon as I change it to mine I get this loop that returns the user to the entire site within the frame instead of the chat. Do you know why? I turned off the pop-up option because of this issue, but even with it off now, it still happens.

You replaced my URL with the URL to your hosted RocketChat, right?

Archived