Template System

On 4/12/2018 at 7:35 PM, priyesh.mehta94@gmail.com said:

@HeadStand Template System app is no longer working in our forums. Its taking the input in custom fields but not posting any data in forum topics, While editing the topic we can see the data.

It would be great if you can help or show us workaround to resolve this issue.

A new version has been uploaded to the Marketplace. It contains a fix for this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 3:37 AM, motomac said:

1) How does this app store the data? In the same forums_posts table as the main post content? As I remember in IPS 3.4 this app worked in this way.

a) If no, does it mean that uninstallation of this app will remove the "forms data" from all existing topics?

Same question: @HeadStand Does uninstalling this app remove form data from existing topics?

Thanks.

Edited by openfire
1 hour ago, openfire said:

Same question: @HeadStand Does uninstalling this app remove form data from existing topics?

Thanks.

Yes. The form data is stored in separate tables that are linked to the Template System. When you uninstall, IPS will remove those tables.

I can look into possibly moving the data over permanently on uninstall, but it won't be a quick or easy thing, and I may not get to it for a week or two. I still have some apps that need to be updated for 4.3.

3 minutes ago, HeadStand said:

I can look into possibly moving the data over permanently on uninstall, but it won't be a quick or easy thing, and I may not get to it for a week or two. I still have some apps that need to be updated for 4.3.

That would be great!

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed this app the other day and I'm loving it so far.

Some question / issues

1 -- FORUM template -- Field type UPLOAD.  When creating a new topic the field goes through the motions and it looks like it's working. When the post is submitted the uploaded image does not appear..   All I see is the plain text link to the image.

is this an issue with the app ... or is it some configuration issue on my end?

2 -- I have two fields in my forum template that I would like to make visible only to the poster and admin.   Is this doable in the current version?

3 -- Does anyone have a suggestion on how to format the output from a forum template.    The default is plain text, single–spaced. Yuck

4 -- is it possible to "auto fill" fields on a forum template? 

(There are 15 fields that otherwise would need to be manually filled, several times a week)

Auto fill data could come from:

-- The poster's profile

-- The last post

-- Somewhere to be created

5 -- Is it possible perform a calculation on an inputted field with the results appearing in a second field?

Field1 = REG PRICE -- $100:     

CLUB MEMBERS GET A 20% DISCOUNT

Field2 = MEMBER PRICE -- $80

Thanx

Neil

#3:  So, the answer is to edit my SKIN TEMPLATE ... which I know nothing about.

Simple ARIAL 14 bold -- double-spaced

I don't know if this matters but:

-- Most fields are drop-down selection

-- A few text fields

-- A checkbox set

-- An UPLOAD field (see #1 above)

Has anyone got a nice forum template you would like to share?

Would one of you be willing to design one for me?  ... compensated of course.

(if I don't get any responses here I'll reach out to a "theme guy")

PS

I don't suppose there's a WYSIWYG skin template creator?

18 hours ago, ILM2 said:

1 -- FORUM template -- Field type UPLOAD.  When creating a new topic the field goes through the motions and it looks like it's working. When the post is submitted the uploaded image does not appear..   All I see is the plain text link to the image.

is this an issue with the app ... or is it some configuration issue on my end?

You would have to customize the template. You would do this on the "Views" tab when editing the set. Uncheck "Use Default View Template" and you'll have the ability to edit the template for that set. I would not recommend editing the skin template directly, as that will affect ALL sets that you use. 

IPS has guides for theming that can be found at 

19 hours ago, ILM2 said:

2 -- I have two fields in my forum template that I would like to make visible only to the poster and admin.   Is this doable in the current version?

Yes. You should be able to adjust permissions per field. In the ACP, go to Community -> Template System -> Fields, and you should see a Permissions icon to the right of each field.

19 hours ago, ILM2 said:

4 -- is it possible to "auto fill" fields on a forum template? 

(There are 15 fields that otherwise would need to be manually filled, several times a week)

Auto fill data could come from:

-- The poster's profile

-- The last post

-- Somewhere to be created

Yes. You can define default values for fields. When you add a field to a set, it gives you the option to set that.

19 hours ago, ILM2 said:

5 -- Is it possible perform a calculation on an inputted field with the results appearing in a second field?

Assuming you're referring to the display, and not the form, PHP calculations can be done from inside a template. Just enclose it in double braces.

{{$discount = ( $item->template_field1 * .2 );}}
{{$discountedPrice = round( $item->template_field1 - $discount, 2 );}}
MEMBER PRICE -- {$discountedPrice}

Just a side note... most of the above can be found in the documentation that is included with your download. If you haven't done so already, I would suggest you look through it so that you can see the full capabilities of this mod. ? 

Good Day,

I absolutely love the template system. I use it in various forums, but mostly in our story writing forums to provide header information for the post itself.

There is one thing I would like to add or change - if it is possible. Please give me the Village Idiot reply because I am not tech-savvy. I can make basic changes with good instructions. I won't be offended!

We have all of the template sets displaying at the beginning of each post, like "header" information. Is there a way to add an automatic horizontal rule line between the template information and the body of the post - instead of trying to get people to remember to put it in manually.

If it's not doable, no worries! Worth asking ;)

See screenshots.... 

1715991483_ScreenShot2018-05-16at2_54_08PM.thumb.png.91f65da5b656260453e5eb24e06b92cf.png

1140453971_ScreenShot2018-05-16at3_00_38PM.thumb.png.edf10f009bc15ea24dda2756871201e0.png

19 hours ago, Stormwolfe said:

We have all of the template sets displaying at the beginning of each post, like "header" information. Is there a way to add an automatic horizontal rule line between the template information and the body of the post - instead of trying to get people to remember to put it in manually.

Yes! Put the following at the end of your view template:

<hr class='ipsHr'>

That should do it.

You'll be happy to hear that I've got most of it figured out and I'm ready to implement your app on my site.

SITUATION:

There is ONE SET and ONE CONTAINER

When a new topic is started it needs to be this set by default.

It was working previously.  It stopped working when I created a new set and deleted the old one.

Now, I cannot get it to come up by default no matter what I do

Thanx again for a wonderful app.

Neil

On 5/17/2018 at 10:20 AM, HeadStand said:

Yes! Put the following at the end of your view template:

<hr class='ipsHr'>

That should do it.

@HeadStand or anyone that can help! Coding Clueless (me) is back with another question.

Regarding my original request...

On 5/16/2018 at 3:05 PM, Stormwolfe said:

Good Day,

I absolutely love the template system. I use it in various forums, but mostly in our story writing forums to provide header information for the post itself.

There is one thing I would like to add or change - if it is possible. Please give me the Village Idiot reply because I am not tech-savvy. I can make basic changes with good instructions. I won't be offended!

If it's not doable, no worries! Worth asking ;)

See screenshots.... 

1715991483_ScreenShot2018-05-16at2_54_08PM.thumb.png.91f65da5b656260453e5eb24e06b92cf.png

1140453971_ScreenShot2018-05-16at3_00_38PM.thumb.png.edf10f009bc15ea24dda2756871201e0.png

Is is possible to style the <*hr> tag that I added to the view template so that it matches the one I use to separate post body from the post's footer... see screenshot.

2121565075_ScreenShot2018-05-18at12_21_58PM.thumb.png.0cca63d51f3458fbd8946e6810957bc3.png

Here is the code that was added to my theme's custom.css

/* Separator between post and Edited text */
.cPost_contentWrap [data-role="commentContent"] > .ipsType_reset.ipsType_medium.ipsType_light:before{
	content: '';
	display: block;
	height: 0px;
	border-top: 1px dashed currentColor;
	opacity: 0.6;
	margin: 20px 0;
}

Again, if this is not doable, no worries at all.

Thank you!

~ Stormwolfe

OK,

I've gone "live" with my first custom template.

Dozens of members have worked with it and so far: no issues or complaints.  :biggrin:

Your app has given me all of the functionality I need with one exception::

I still cannot figure out how to get an UPLOAD field image to appear in the post.

image.thumb.png.75575f5b13c484a242f84f8f3246a06a.png

Nothing I have found in the THEME tutorials is applicable.

If someone could help me with the TEMPLATE CODE to use that would be awesome.

Has anyone else ever used an UPLOAD field successfully?

Thanks

Edited by ILM2

The FIELD TOGGLES is a very useful feature.  it will help me to streamline my form with logical groupings of fields.

it worked perfectly the first time.  Just about all successive attempts have failed.

It only works if I create brand-new fields and put them into a brand-new set.

WHAT HAPPENS:

SITUATION #1: When I set the toggle values in a SELECT BOX field, it does not add the toggled field to the list of fields.

SITUATION #2: When I set the toggle values in a SELECT BOX field to match fields that are already on the list the resulting form doesn't work properly.

CHECKBOX SETS do not work at all.

I've tried dozens of times changing/adjusting every setting I can find.

It took a while to figure out but I'm able to replicate the problem.

Field Toggles only works for me with brand-new fields in a brand-new set.

Suggestions?

On 5/18/2018 at 3:56 PM, ILM2 said:

OK,

I've gone "live" with my first custom template.

Dozens of members have worked with it and so far: no issues or complaints.  :biggrin:

Your app has given me all of the functionality I need with one exception::

I still cannot figure out how to get an UPLOAD field image to appear in the post.

image.thumb.png.75575f5b13c484a242f84f8f3246a06a.png

Nothing I have found in the THEME tutorials is applicable.

If someone could help me with the TEMPLATE CODE to use that would be awesome.

Has anyone else ever used an UPLOAD field successfully?

Thanks

Completely untested:

<a href='{file="$item->template_field1->value" extension="templates_TemplateField"}'>File Name</a>

Where you replace template_field1 with the appropriate field key.

On 5/19/2018 at 2:18 PM, ILM2 said:

The FIELD TOGGLES is a very useful feature.  it will help me to streamline my form with logical groupings of fields.

it worked perfectly the first time.  Just about all successive attempts have failed.

It only works if I create brand-new fields and put them into a brand-new set.

WHAT HAPPENS:

SITUATION #1: When I set the toggle values in a SELECT BOX field, it does not add the toggled field to the list of fields.

SITUATION #2: When I set the toggle values in a SELECT BOX field to match fields that are already on the list the resulting form doesn't work properly.

CHECKBOX SETS do not work at all.

I've tried dozens of times changing/adjusting every setting I can find.

It took a while to figure out but I'm able to replicate the problem.

Field Toggles only works for me with brand-new fields in a brand-new set.

Suggestions?

This sounds like a bug. I'll look at it some time this week. I've been off the last few days, so I have some things I need to catch up with first.

Edited by HeadStand

I tried your suggested code … and several variations … without success:

Here is the output:

MAIN PICTURE: monthly_2018_05/71vBhRHWklL._SY450_.jpg.af46f3b15b10c2b147f66ecdbe559bca.jpg

File Name

NOTE: if I combine the File Name URL with the MAIN PICTURE info it gives me a valid link to the image

FYI:  The upload picture field will be the last field on the form.

To be clear:  I want the uploaded image to be REQUIRED and inserted into the post.

FIELDKEY = mainpic

Here are two of the templates I tried:

<div class="ipsSpacer_top">

{{foreach $data as $fieldKey => $fieldValue}}

{{if $fieldValue['value'] || !$fieldValue['hide']}}

<div class="cTemplateField">

<span class="cTemplateField_label">{{$label = 'template_' . $fieldKey . '_label';}}</span>

<span class="cTemplateField_value">{$item->$label}: {$fieldValue['value']|raw}</span>

</div>

{{endif}}

{{endforeach}}

</div>

<a href='{file="$item->template_mainpic->value" extension="templates_TemplateField"}'>File Name</a>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

<span class="cTemplateField_label">{{$label = 'template_' . $fieldKey . '_label';}}</span>

<span class="cTemplateField_value">{$item->$label}: {$fieldValue['value']|raw}</span>

</div>

{{endif}}

{{endforeach}}

</div>

<a href='{file="$item->mainpic->value" extension="templates_TemplateField"}'>File Name</a>

Please advise

On 5/24/2018 at 12:35 PM, ILM2 said:

I tried your suggested code … and several variations … without success:

Here is the output:

NOTE: if I combine the File Name URL with the MAIN PICTURE info it gives me a valid link to the image

FYI:  The upload picture field will be the last field on the form.

To be clear:  I want the uploaded image to be REQUIRED and inserted into the post.

FIELDKEY = mainpic

Here are two of the templates I tried:

</div>

{{endif}}

{{endforeach}}

</div>

<a href='{file="$item->template_mainpic->value" extension="templates_TemplateField"}'>File Name</a>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

</div>

{{endif}}

{{endforeach}}

</div>

<a href='{file="$item->mainpic->value" extension="templates_TemplateField"}'>File Name</a>

Please advise

This was a bug.

I have uploaded a new version to the Marketplace that should resolve the issue.

Hello,

I'm trying to solve a particular challenge, and I think this might work. I'm curious if I'm on the right track.

I manage a community where members will sign up for events. I need some way for the members to be able to add a note to their RSVP.

My hope is to be able to:

• Create an event in the Calendar module. 
  • For each event include a notes field. 
  • Each attendee can add a note to the event
  • The notes can be summarized in the top level event post.  (user a: xxxx, user b: yyyy)

While members can just add a comment on the event, the important details can easily get lost in a big discussion. I want to have a controlled way to get a single concise note from each person and that's it. 

Does this seem like something the templating tool can do? 

@HeadStand 

9 hours ago, 501neg said:

Hello,

I'm trying to solve a particular challenge, and I think this might work. I'm curious if I'm on the right track.

I manage a community where members will sign up for events. I need some way for the members to be able to add a note to their RSVP.

My hope is to be able to:

• Create an event in the Calendar module. 
  • For each event include a notes field. 
  • Each attendee can add a note to the event
  • The notes can be summarized in the top level event post.  (user a: xxxx, user b: yyyy)

While members can just add a comment on the event, the important details can easily get lost in a big discussion. I want to have a controlled way to get a single concise note from each person and that's it. 

Does this seem like something the templating tool can do? 

@HeadStand 

No, unfortunately the mod does not work this way. 

The template system is only for creating content (like an event) and not for replies or RSVPs. 

You would most likely need someone to build you a custom modification. 

• 2 months later...