Community

Hunter Lyons

How to make sparkling user groups

Lewis Pardo do not ask for a statement on what effect things would have on his site he asked how to do something on his site.  He didnt get an answer beyond the typical "you can use css and jQuery" answer.  We all know that you can use those things but few people here actually take the next step and explain how to do that.  I have run into this a number of times and normally get this sort of response...

1 hour ago, Steve-Ray said:

Lewis Pardo do not ask for a statement on what effect things would have on his site he asked how to do something on his site.  He didnt get an answer beyond the typical "you can use css and jQuery" answer.  We all know that you can use those things but few people here actually take the next step and explain how to do that.  I have run into this a number of times and normally get this sort of response...

I didn't offer a how-to since he was asking if the member name could be made to sparkle like the OP was asking about User Group titles - AFAIK, there isn't an easy way to do this with jQuery/CSS.

I think the reason many people don't explain exactly how to do these things is because they don't have the time, or while they know it may be technically possible, they are not going to spend their time to figure out someone else's problem unless it benefitted them.

To answer @Lewis Pardo the way you are expecting, would require me to research and write up how to do this, which I won't do because honestly while it sounds like a neat thing to do, the impact it would have on forum performance would suffer (which I did offer as a caveat to doing this).

Edited by Joy Rex

Fair enough Joy.  I on the other hand do things differently in the sense that if a question is raised and I bother to answer it in the positive in that it can be done then I will do my best to actually tell how to do it.  Failing that I just stay out of the conversation.  In the broader sense, and trust me Im not picking on you so much as the habit is here and elsewhere, it is very frustrating to have someone say to me "Yeah it can be done..." and then simply let it hang out there.  At least if people say that it can be done, probably can be done and then offer up the caveat that I dont have the time nor the interest to pursue it further. 

6 hours ago, Steve-Ray said:

Fair enough Joy.  I on the other hand do things differently in the sense that if a question is raised and I bother to answer it in the positive in that it can be done then I will do my best to actually tell how to do it.  Failing that I just stay out of the conversation.  In the broader sense, and trust me Im not picking on you so much as the habit is here and elsewhere, it is very frustrating to have someone say to me "Yeah it can be done..." and then simply let it hang out there.  At least if people say that it can be done, probably can be done and then offer up the caveat that I dont have the time nor the interest to pursue it further. 

If you could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!

On 12/8/2016 at 3:23 AM, Lewis Pardo said:

Any idea how to make it show up here 

Something like this in your theme’s custom.css:

.cAuthorPane_author  {
 background: url(https://i.imgur.com/skMrJae.gif);
}

To be sure it works, one would need a link to your site. The screenshot alone isn’t enough. 

23 hours ago, Lewis Pardo said:

If you could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!

Go to your group settings. Under Group Formatting choose “HTML”. 

Then add to the first field <span class="your-groupname"> and </span> to the second one. 

Then go to your theme CSS, find custom.css and add your sparkle image to your group name class.

.your-groupname {
}

Repeat for different groups using different class names and different background images. 

1 hour ago, opentype said:

Go to your group settings. Under Group Formatting choose “HTML”. 

Then add to the first field <span class="your-groupname"> and </span> to the second one. 

Then go to your theme CSS, find custom.css and add your sparkle image to your group name class.

.your-groupname {
}

Repeat for different groups using different class names and different background images. 

Will this help me achieve the sparkling on the auth panel?

Would absolutely love if you could get a hold of me to help me. This was posted in 2016.. Im looking to do something like this along side of a glow! 

9 hours ago, Devin Blevins said:

Would absolutely love if you could get a hold of me to help me. This was posted in 2016.. Im looking to do something like this along side of a glow! 

Should still work

As for glow then google is good ... here is one

12 hours ago, Devin Blevins said:

Im looking to do something like this along side of a glow!

Try this:

<span style="color:#E8549E; font-weight:bold; background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/C4gA8Hx.gif);">Admin</span>

12 hours ago, Lucas James said:

Try this:

<span style="color:#E8549E; font-weight:bold; background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/C4gA8Hx.gif);">Admin</span>

Thank you so much!!!! This is def something i was looking for! I appreciate you

15 hours ago, steve00 said:

Should still work

As for glow then google is good ... here is one

Thank you! This actually worked for me!!! i appreciate your help..

How could I do this using secondary groups?

My subscription ranks are secondary groups but I'd like to give them special names on the front end.