Rebuilding images through the ACP

Hitori Bocchi

So far a quite bad experience again in 4.1 as it was in 3.4. It needs looong loooong hours to finish, so it should be made either a background task once you click it, or there should be an option like the "galleryRebuild4_ssh" that was available in 3.4 to do the task. Does this file still work for 4.1? Would be awesome.

Having it run for 6 hours now and the progress bar is ~1/7 finished, leaving me no option to close the browser and always in fear that my session expires and it just stops as it used to do in 3.4, the reason why it was unusable there for me in the past.

Speed is not the issue, it probably runs as fast as it can. It took me 2-3 hours to make all the current images/image folders CHMOD 777 (around 200.000 with the thumbs), so deleting that many pictures, and creating new ones obviously will take a lot longer. In 3.4 I just made thumbnails 150x150 and did not fill the other boxes with any size at all and it took around 40 hours with the shell, but it ran much more smooth than in the browser.

Atleast it seems it's ok, if you are getting logged out so far*, it still continues running as long as you got that tab with it open, but if you lose internet connection for a short periode of time and your browser goes "cannot connect to site" error page you still have to start the whole drama from scratch. Already had that after the first 12 hours running yesterday and the second time was after the browser crashed... I am right now at 25 % again after a bit more than 12 hours. So I assume it will take around 40-50 hours in total and that gallery isn't even a big one, just moderate (a bit less than 100k images). My image count right now pretty much the same as it was 2 years ago with vb3 (my user haven't come to terms with the new gallery, though the old one wasn't even a real gallery or seen as such). Therefore, someone with a big gallery, even with a better server, will have a much harder time swallowing that pill.

I would prefer it running longer in a background task than having to keep an watchfull eye on it as a browser task. That was the good thing with the shell, you just minimize it and at one point it tells you it's finished. The browser usually is something people work on and keep open most of the time, so it's more likely to have some negative influence on the process. But I assume they designed it for really small galleries. The whole gallerie is full of things (deleting rights/not being forced to put images in albums etc.) which give you the impression they see it more as a gimmick than a full-fledged product. I hope they change it in the future (still waiting for some announcements for 4.2 though which will contain changes to the gallery, but since they just announced 4.1.12 to be realeased in a few weeks, I don't want to just sit idle and do nothing in the meantime for my testboard...).

* I was even able to login again and do some other stuff in the ACP (session timeout and it still continues running in the other tab -> improvement to IPB3, have to give them that).

This time I was able to achieve 50 % before it went towards the page saying "Rebuilding... Please wait while we transfer you" for no apparent reason and the drama ended in a page which looks more complicated to read than the chinese alphabet:

PNG IHDRMS IDATxk-uqKKYbװlIp;mm*~ iFQnE A

and around a hundred lines more of that stuff. (The questionsmarks between it are only viewable in the preview here though, another case of what you see isn't what you get)

I can tell for sure, that I won't even be using this in 4.1, since its unusable. Before I make the upgrade 3.4->4.1 I will have to do it through the shell file, but its still a shame for those who experience the same hurdle and can't just run around it.

If you are changing thumbnail dimensions, and it is timing out in the 3.x acp, that has no bearing on 4.x in any form. Such a thing is handled in the background in 4, without forcing the admin to wait on it, thus a shell script really isn't needed like it was for 3.x... but really, there is no such 'rebuild x' button, anywhere, for anything in 4. it is backgrounded as a task or done immediately where possible when it needs done, but it will not sit there and force you to babysit it, nor is there any button to trigger it to occur manually, though you can opt to manually run it, you cannot say 'i want to rebuild x' over again. To allow such would easily lead to data corruption.

Archived