Moderation: Checkbox on first post, split merge hide delete

BomAle

What are the reasons that prompted you to remove the checkbox from the first post of a topic?
My moderation team ask me this a while ago, and I could not give a complete answer.
Honestly I believe that in some cases the first post has equal "weight" than others, for example when we have a support topic without the need to have a first post introduction because it is related to title of topic or article on pages...

{{if count( $item->commentMultimodActions() ) and !$comment->mapped('first')}}
				· 
				<span class='ipsCustomInput'>
					<input type="checkbox" name="multimod[{$comment->$idField}]" value="1" data-role="moderation" data-actions="{{if $comment->canSplit()}}split merge{{endif}} {{if $comment->hidden() === -1 AND $comment->canUnhide()}}unhide{{elseif $comment->hidden() === 1 AND $comment->canUnhide()}}approve{{elseif $comment->canHide()}}hide{{endif}} {{if $comment->canDelete()}}delete{{endif}}" data-state='{{if $comment->tableStates()}}{$comment->tableStates()}{{endif}}'>
					<span></span>
				</span>
			{{endif}}

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/16/2016 at 0:58 PM, BomAle said:

What are the reasons that prompted you to remove the checkbox from the first post of a topic?

I'm assuming that IPS had a valid reason for removing this useful facility. 

Perhaps @Lindy could enlighten us please?

I assume using such a facility is bad practice, but it would be nice to know why :)

@crabpaws @PPlanet @texterted @BomAle

The next version of Kitchen Sink will have this. Merge only. Hide and delete only work on the non-first posts with that mod tool, and though the split tool can work on the first post there is good chance a moderator could, yes really, split off all the posts in a topic to somewhere else, leaving a topic with no posts in it and no way to add posts back into it. 

Rather than risk IPS giving me a seriously grim look as their support department deals with broken topics I've just limited the mod tool to just merge when the first post in a topic is selected.

I've got one or two more things I'm looking at including; if easy it'll be another day maybe, otherwise I'll bag them for later and release sometime today.

Archived