Significant drop in GA pageviews

Gabriel Touchette

I am bringing this post up again because I see no positive change in the ratio of pageviews vs visit since the major upgrade...

Here's a screenshot

image.thumb.png.66c544a294f4e4728514895b67ed2946.png

You clearly see the shift from more page view for fewer visit to less page view for more visits...

I've applied all the recommended modification and still... 

I think that this issue should be taken more seriously...

Your sessions seem to be up. I would do a report and filter based on the previous threads url path and the new one and see what it shows. A lot of IPB is ajax unlike other systems which means you dont see an extra pageview.

What forum system were you using before you moved across?

Have you disabled the ajax pagination for forum pages?

I am genuinely curious and hope its not systematic but its best to eliminate possible causes first.

13 hours ago, Gabriel Touchette said:

I am bringing this post up again because I see no positive change in the ratio of pageviews vs visit since the major upgrade...

@Gabriel Touchette Interesting, because here we are seeing the opposite. Our traffic almost doubled with the new 4.2.x series. However, we had an issue where GA was underreporting our pageviews. To fix this, we had to move the GA tag from the bottom of the page to the top. We knew the numbers reported by GA were wrong by comparing what GA was reporting with the number of banner impressions we were having per day (which was much higher). After moving the position of the GA tag the problem was solved. If you use CloudFlare, you can enable CloudFlare's GA app, which will fix this issue for you as well.

ga-cdh.png

15 hours ago, Gabriel Touchette said:

I think that this issue should be taken more seriously...

What issue? You are just showing that your page views are reported by a 3rd-party tool to be down. So what? There are millions of possible reasons for that. You can’t just blame the community software for your stats and want the software make to “fix it”.

• Management

The placement of the GA code would only be an issue in cases where your users aren't fully loading the page before going to another page. Nonetheless, GA is asynchronous these days so it should no longer slow the page being in the <head> section of the page - I'll check into having it moved there. 

Now, with that said, the experts largely agree - you should not hang your hat on the accuracy of Google Analytics. If your site is larger, you may be encountering sampling. There's also the fact that there's imply less pages in modern web applications than there used to be and much is fired via Ajax. We do try to account for this the best we can via virtual pageviews, but there are still simply less pages. Finally, millions of people use ad blockers and disable tracking. These visitors will not be accounted for at all in your Google Analytics pageview counts. Depending on the nature of your site, this could reduce the number of pageviews you have by 10-75%+ Tech, security and and similar user-savvy websites especially will have incredibly skewed numbers because many on those types of sites are more apt to employ ad blockers and/or disable tracking. 

More important than raw pageviews is engagement - I'd suggest focusing on that. Check your community participation stats -- registration, content submissions, etc. 

On 09/09/2017 at 1:00 AM, opentype said:

What issue? You are just showing that your page views are reported by a 3rd-party tool to be down. So what? There are millions of possible reasons for that. You can’t just blame the community software for your stats and want the software make to “fix it”.

Wow. talking about a useless comment. You can't just blame some who's flagging an important issue that, by the way was acknoledge not long ago....

Unless you are blindly ignoring the fact that the drop in TOTAL pageview is occuring at the same exact moment we moved to IPB 4, the fact that it changed the way it handles page view (static page to AJAX) and more importantly, the fact that the overall traffic and number of members of the site is actually on the rise (I understand that when you have more traffic your stats such has pageview/per visit will go down however, the base line number of  total page view should be larger) ...

On 08/09/2017 at 10:54 PM, Gabriel Torres said:

Our traffic almost doubled with the new 4.2.x series.

On our side, the upgrade had no incidence on our traffic (good or bad) other than natural organic growth.

17 hours ago, Lindy said:

Finally, millions of people use ad blockers and disable tracking. These visitors will not be accounted for at all in your Google Analytics pageview counts. Depending on the nature of your site, this could reduce the number of pageviews you have by 10-75%+ Tech

You are absolutely right, however I am actually noticing and increase of traffic on our site... 

ON the engagement side of thing, we never had as much new member signing then since the new IPB 4...

Everything is on the rise except overall page view that are SIGNIFICANTLY lower... 

3 hours ago, Gabriel Touchette said:

Wow. talking about a useless comment.

Oh, thanks. Asking you to clarify “the issue” and pointing out other factors (which is factually correct) is not useless though just because you don’t like it. 

I am still not sure what your problem or better “expectation” is. The Ajax reporting probably didn’t affect you anyway since you turned that off. And that was the only thing that was acknowledged by the way. So do you care about the IPS to GA reporting? Or the actual pageviews? And in each case, why? I honestly can’t tell and so I also can’t even address of these things. I am not trying to be difficult. I understand perfectly what you observe/report, but not what the “serious issue” is. 

On 9/10/2017 at 5:35 AM, Lindy said:

The placement of the GA code would only be an issue in cases where your users aren't fully loading the page before going to another page.

That was the case here... ;)

14 hours ago, Gabriel Touchette said:

On our side, the upgrade had no incidence on our traffic (good or bad) other than natural organic growth.

As I mentioned, our GA stats were incorrect, and if we were trusting our old GA numbers, we wouldn't see any growth. How are you so sure that there is no growth in traffic if you are having issues trusting GA? You should try measuring traffic by other means and compare the numbers, as we did.

8 hours ago, Omri Amos said:

almost doubled = make sure you are not having the GA code twice on the same page. This might cause double pageviews

Not the case.

Archived