mod security issues

lostaussie

I run two boards on two different hosts, one has mod security enabled and works fine, the other is on a self managed VPS and if I have mod security enabled there all I get is Too many redirects errors.

Does anyone know what mod security rules to change to allow use of this on the VPS.

OK

I worked out what rule was causing the problem and disabled it. I have no idea if it's a bad thing to do or not but by disabling it fixed the issue. This is the rule below? 

OWASP 981243 Detects classic SQL injection probings 2/2
SecRule REQUEST_COOKIES|!REQUEST_COOKIES:/__utm/|REQUEST_COOKIES_NAMES|ARGS_NAMES|ARGS|XML:/* "(?i:(?:[\"'`]\s*?\*.+(?:x?or|div|like|between|and|id)\W*?[\"'`]\d)|(?:\^[\"'`])|(?:^[\w\s\"'`-]+(?<;=and\s)(?<;=or|xor|div|like|between|and\s)(?<;=xor\s)(?<;=nand\s)(?<;=not\s)(?<;=\|\|)(?<;=\&;\&;)\w+\()|(?:[\"'`][\s\d]*?[^\w\s]+\W*?\d\W*?.*?[\"'`\d])|(?:[\"'`]\s*?[^\w\s?]+\s*?[^\w\s]+\s*?[\"'`])|(?:[\"'`]\s*?[^\w\s]+\s*?[\W\d].*?(?:#|--))|(?:[\"'`].*?\*\s*?\d)|(?:[\"'`]\s*?(x?or|div|like|between|and)\s[^\d]+[\w-]+.*?\d)|(?:[()\*<;>;%+-][\w-]+[^\w\s]+[\"'`][^,]))" "phase:request, rev:'2', ver:'OWASP_CRS/3.0.0', maturity:'9', accuracy:'8', capture, t:none,t:urlDecodeUni, block, msg:'Detects classic SQL injection probings 2/2', id:'981243', tag:'application-multi', tag:'language-mutli', tag:'platform-multi', tag:'attack-sqli', tag:'OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/SQL_INJECTION', logdata:'Matched Data: %{TX.0} found within %{MATCHED_VAR_NAME}: %{MATCHED_VAR}', severity:'CRITICAL', setvar:'tx.msg=%{rule.msg}', setvar:tx.sql_injection_score=+%{tx.critical_anomaly_score}, setvar:tx.anomaly_score=+%{tx.critical_anomaly_score}, setvar:'tx.%{rule.id}-OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/SQLI-%{matched_var_name}=%{tx.0}'"

2 hours ago, lostaussie said:

OK

I have no idea if it's a bad thing to do or not but by disabling it fixed the issue. 

OWASP 981243 Detects classic SQL injection probings 2/2
SecRule REQUEST_COOKIES|!REQUEST_COOKIES:/__utm/|REQUEST_COOKIES_NAMES|ARGS_NAMES|ARGS|XML:/* "(?i:(?:[\"'`]\s*?\*.+(?:x?or|div|like|between|and|id)\W*?[\"'`]\d)|(?:\^[\"'`])|(?:^[\w\s\"'`-]+(?<;=and\s)(?<;=or|xor|div|like|between|and\s)(?<;=xor\s)(?<;=nand\s)(?<;=not\s)(?<;=\|\|)(?<;=\&;\&;)\w+\()|(?:[\"'`][\s\d]*?[^\w\s]+\W*?\d\W*?.*?[\"'`\d])|(?:[\"'`]\s*?[^\w\s?]+\s*?[^\w\s]+\s*?[\"'`])|(?:[\"'`]\s*?[^\w\s]+\s*?[\W\d].*?(?:#|--))|(?:[\"'`].*?\*\s*?\d)|(?:[\"'`]\s*?(x?or|div|like|between|and)\s[^\d]+[\w-]+.*?\d)|(?:[()\*<;>;%+-][\w-]+[^\w\s]+[\"'`][^,]))" "phase:request, rev:'2', ver:'OWASP_CRS/3.0.0', maturity:'9', accuracy:'8', capture, t:none,t:urlDecodeUni, block, msg:'Detects classic SQL injection probings 2/2', id:'981243', tag:'application-multi', tag:'language-mutli', tag:'platform-multi', tag:'attack-sqli', tag:'OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/SQL_INJECTION', logdata:'Matched Data: %{TX.0} found within %{MATCHED_VAR_NAME}: %{MATCHED_VAR}', severity:'CRITICAL', setvar:'tx.msg=%{rule.msg}', setvar:tx.sql_injection_score=+%{tx.critical_anomaly_score}, setvar:tx.anomaly_score=+%{tx.critical_anomaly_score}, setvar:'tx.%{rule.id}-OWASP_CRS/WEB_ATTACK/SQLI-%{matched_var_name}=%{tx.0}'"

Yes, that's what I do. I disabled the ones causing me issues. 

6 minutes ago, lostaussie said:

I probably should have said I hope it is not a bad thing to disable as I have about 20 wordpress sites on the same server. :unsure:

For wordpress I use wordfence, a firewall. It includes sql injection protection and more. I use the free version.

Archived