Font size for older eyes

JimJimJimJim

I run a support group with an average age of 71.

Members were very clear that anything lower than 18 point was too small for ageing eyes.

In previous versions I used:

Make font size larger for all postings

Open up your ipb_styles.css file under look & feel > manage skins >  css tab

Then add this to the bottom of the file and save it, or you can find that actual item in the file and edit it to 18, however this is simple and will work just fine below.

.post_body .post {

font-size: 18px !important;

}

to set post size to 18 point to display that size, and selected Size 18 in topic box so the emails had the right size font.

1. Is there a simple way to make 18 point the default display in V4?

2. Can the text entry boxes get the 18 point back again? (Feature return request)

TIA

Jim

The skins are built to be responsive so there are few fonts that are specitic point sizes. You may want to just increase the font size in the actual body. Add this to the custom CSS:

body {
font-size: 1.7em;
}

Adjust the 1.7 to what you want. This will increase font's across the entire site significantly so I don't recommend setting it on your live site. I also show that the editors have the 18pt font.

There's no one size fits all solution unfortunately.

.ipsDataItem_title {
    font-size: 16px;
}

That will take care of forum view topc titles. Default is 14. Going bigger to 18 is certainly doable but you'll start to run into formatting conflicts the higher you go. You may be able to live with them.

.ipsType_normal {
    font-size: 16px;
}

That's the main one you want. In the 3x series this was a pain in the ass but with 4x it is super easy as this will carry over into the editor as well.

Default, as before is 14. I run mine at 16px. This will handle post content. Any more you need tackled just PM me.

• 1 month later...

Archived