Jump to content

Did upgrade - database went from 3GB to 18GB


Recommended Posts

I did a "test" upgrade of our website from version 3.4.8 (patched) to 4.1.10. The database storage requirement went from ~3GB to ~18GB, resulting in our server running out of space and trashing the MAIN site's database (thankfully I'd kept the main site on 3.4.8 and haven't rushed to upgrade), requiring around 4 hours site downtime and work which involved restoring a previous backup, then copying some .frm .MYI and .MYD files directly from the restore's storage location to the main database's location, then running a repair. So, on order not to crash the site again, I've had to delete our test area to free up enough space to properly run the overnight backups.

Has anyone else seen the database size balloon to such an extent just after upgrading (I had waited 1 1/2 days for all the background processes on the test site to complete)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you have to use the utf8 converter at this time or had you done this previously ? ^_^

My initial thought is its still got a 'backup' of the original tables alongside the converted ones, a quick look via phpmyadmin or console should show if this is the case, typically they will all be prefixed orig_

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, AndyF said:

Did you have to use the utf8 converter at this time or had you done this previously ? ^_^

My initial thought is its still got a 'backup' of the original tables alongside the converted ones, a quick look via phpmyadmin or console should show if this is the case, typically they will all be prefixed orig_

 

It wanted me to use the utf8 converter - I can't remember if it deleted the original tables, I just selected the default option. I've had to delete the database now, due to space issues.

Would this really increase the database 6x though?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did think about the expansion % but to answer that no, although it would (in theory) be doubled in size or thereabouts.

The only other immediate thought I had was the attachment storage method was switched to store them in the database, but I can't see that happening on its own. ^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have 706MB of uploads (attachments etc) and 1.9GB in the gallery (we split the storage directory), ie total 2.6GB - I'd expect it to explain a 2.6GB rise if attachments were suddenly stored in the database, but not a 15GB increase. I guess I need to try an upgrade again, but it takes about half a day of interactive stuff (doing something then waiting.....then doing something again), and about 1 1/2 days to do the background processes. Whatever it is, its not looking rosy for a v4 upgrade on the live site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...