Upgraded to 4.1.10 and can't edit acp defined Streams

Shawn Tierney

I must be missing something as I can no longer choose which forums are polled when creating an activity stream in the ACP..

My exisitng streams work, but i need to add a new one which only polls certain forums, however the option is missing?

I do see the new steam filter bar when I view the stream, but it only appears to allow me to save edited streams as new personal streams.

What am I missing? I really need to edit my existing acp defined streams...

Sincere thanks in advance,

Shawn

• 8 months later...
7 minutes ago, Shawn Tierney said:

… which in fact does speak volumes about this forum.

What does that mean? I am not sure I get it. It seems like you want to blame someone for something. (Correct me if I am wrong.) But who for what?

IPS support is through IPS support tickets. You could have gotten an answer for this questions within 1 to 3 days this way. 
This is the peer-to-peer forum. Personally, I probably saw your post back then, but what should I add? I see the same stream settings as you and can’t help you when you “really need to edit my existing acp defined streams”. So there isn’t much to add and questions like that can easily go unanswered. But that’s then a result of the question itself and I wouldn’t know what it says about the forum …

On 1/1/2017 at 6:49 AM, opentype said:

What does that mean? I am not sure I get it. It seems like you want to blame someone for something. (Correct me if I am wrong.) But who for what?

IPS support is through IPS support tickets. You could have gotten an answer for this questions within 1 to 3 days this way. 
This is the peer-to-peer forum. Personally, I probably saw your post back then, but what should I add? I see the same stream settings as you and can’t help you when you “really need to edit my existing acp defined streams”. So there isn’t much to add and questions like that can easily go unanswered. But that’s then a result of the question itself and I wouldn’t know what it says about the forum …

Since you asked I'll expand on my comment:

Obviously some who buy IPB have questions and post their questions here (like me.)

Many do so because they've found with other companies the user to user support is quicker than opening a ticket and waiting up to three days (or longer.) 

PLUS as webmasters many of us also consider the fact that if our question gets answered here in the public forums it might very well help other customers with the same question (or even our future selves if we forget the answer and have to look it up again.) And that can also have the side effect of reducing the number of support tickets for the vendor.

With all that said, it is truly a shame IP doesn't have a single employee replying to posts like mine with something like, "I can confirm we had that feature in a previous rev but had to pull it - hope to add it back in a future rev" or something similar. Really, for someone "in the know" you're talking less than 30 minutes a day.

Instead, many posts like this just go unanswered. Play the crickets wav and roll the animated tumbleweed gif.

But that's just my opinion, you're free to have your own :-D

On 1/1/2017 at 5:32 AM, Shawn Tierney said:

Hey Nathan,

Thanks for your reply and confirming the feature is missing.

And yes, quite a few posts like this go unanswered (I find several everytime I search on an issue) which in fact does speak volumes about this forum.

Sincerely,

Shawn

The IPS support forums are very different in activity and volume than what you may expect from other support communities.  You should consider the peer to peer forums to be a secondary resource, after the official IPS support tickets.  You're not the only one who thinks the IPS support forums could use a jolt of energy (or who have pointed out this fact before), but it's a concern that isn't going to change until IPS fundamentally addresses how they manage these forums and their different support systems.  

So yes, you should still come to the IPS support forums for help, and others clients will try to help if and when they can.  But more importantly, I think the better message is that the IPS support forums could use more active clients like yourself who are willing to help and provide helpful responses.  It's one thing to complain about the problem, it's another to be the change you want to see in the world.  Or some other Gandhi meme :).  

On 1/2/2017 at 7:02 PM, Joel R said:

I think the better message is that the IPS support forums could use more active clients like yourself who are willing to help and provide helpful responses.  It's one thing to complain about the problem, it's another to be the change you want to see in the world.  Or some other Gandhi meme :).  

I agree the IPS support forums could use more active clients willing to help, and I will continue to attempt to add any advice I can like I have this morning.

That said, sometimes bumping a topic (like I did with this topic) is the only way to get it noticed, and as long as it's not abused by bumping too often or too many times I believe it is ok :-)

PS - I love "positive" memes like that

• 2 weeks later...

I too really miss the fact they removed admin defined AS covering selected forums, I really wish it would be readded.

Users can create their own AS with only selected forums but I really dont understand why admins cant define ones any more.

Archived