Notification Count

Tom Irons

If you have over 10 notifications, as soon as you click that 'bell' the number goes away. I then loose track of where I'm at with reading them.

I think it would make more sense if you click the notification then the count goes down by 1.

Any thoughts?

I don't think there's really a solution that satisfies everyone though. Often, I will go through my notifications and only want to click some of them (say I have a follow notification for a thread and a quote notification for the same thread, I only need to click one), and I don't need to click reputation notifications because I know, at least vaguely, what post it's referring to. If the list wasn't reloaded when you moved page, so the scroll bar remained in the same position, that could help, but it would also be fairly tough to implement properly without breaking everything else.

I was going to ask about this as well. If you have 5 notifications, you read one and then all the others are marked as read. It's very difficult then to know what you have read and haven't.

Surely the notifications should stay dark (unread) until you read them, only THEN should they go lighter (read)???

I agree. This is how I see it though (from another post):

On 2/23/2016 at 4:39 AM, chilihead said:

I can see it both ways, they are notifications and when you open the window you have read the notifications (but not the content), so it clears ("View all notifications" page keeps read status of each). The problem is when you click one, and return, you lose your place when you have more than a few. So I would also like them to stay bold until clicked.

On the other hand, the window clearing gives you an automatic marking point when new notifications come in.

The solution could be to keep the unread status for each link until clicked but also give a quick way to clear the window, a "Mark all read" link at the bottom, synced with the full list.

OR

Keep as is... the window clears but put a blue line under the last result that was new, and it doesn't reset until you get new notifications. Like the line in streams. Kind of the same idea as keeping bold, but you don't have that extra click of clearing all, and you also have a divider.

If you want to see the actual read status click "View all notifications".

Archived