Email Setup Not Working Gmail

IndianaJoe

Just a couple days ago my website stopped sending emails for PM's and all that fancy stuff.

I am using a gmail account to send emails. The error I am receiving is

HELO (using: HELO)
501 501-5.5.4 HELO/EHLO argument ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465 invalid, closing 501 5.5.4 connection. k139sm4490919ioe.42 - gsmtp

I have tried 

tls://smtp.gmail.com:465

tls://smtp.gmail.com:587

tls://smtp.gmail.com

ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465

ssl://smtp.gmail.com:587

ssl://smtp.gmail.com

All with 465 and 587 ports.

Override SMTP host
Default is 'localhost'

Override SMTP port
Default is 25

Add '<' and '>' to 'to' and 'from' addresses YesNo
Some SMTP mailers require that email addresses are in the following format '<' address '>' (no quotes). If you are getting errors in the mail error log, enabled this option

SMTP username
Not required in most cases when using 'localhost'

SMTP password
Not required in most cases when using 'localhost'

Enhanced SMTP HELO  HELO EHLO  
Select which identification clause you need to use with your SMTP server.

7 hours ago, IndianaJoe said:

I haven't said anything to the host yet. Wanted to verify that it wasn't my fault first. Nothing has changed on the website side of things.

In classEmail.php, change this line:

this->_smtpSendCmd( "{$this->smtp_helo} " . $this->smtp_host );

to this:

$this->_smtpSendCmd( "{$this->smtp_helo} " . str_replace("tls://", "", $this->smtp_host) );

The email isn't being sent because Google is now rejecting the HELO message for having "tls://" in it, although in the IPBoard settings the "tls://" is needed to make the connection to Google's server in the first place.  Going off the error message, I figured this was the problem and stripped "tls://" off the hostname.  May not apply to newer versions of IPS.

On 4/1/2016 at 11:03 PM, Private55555 said:

In classEmail.php, change this line:

this->_smtpSendCmd( "{$this->smtp_helo} " . $this->smtp_host );

to this:

$this->_smtpSendCmd( "{$this->smtp_helo} " . str_replace("tls://", "", $this->smtp_host) );

The email isn't being sent because Google is now rejecting the HELO message for having "tls://" in it, although in the IPBoard settings the "tls://" is needed to make the connection to Google's server in the first place.  Going off the error message, I figured this was the problem and stripped "tls://" off the hostname.  May not apply to newer versions of IPS.

I've tested it and it seems to work fine, thanks!

Not sure if this will help anyone in the future that stumbles across this thread. I had been using ssl forever with gmail. About 7 days ago it stopped working. I changed it to tls in the settings in the ACP and it works fine now. Not sure why it changed but it was an easy fix.

Archived