Allow email to be used for multiple accounts

ashkir

When helping a friend convert her forum (RPG) to IPB we ran into the issue that our hundred accounts are now suddenly 15 due to all the mergers. This basically kills the entire spirit of the product for RPGs and I cannot think of a way to allow the same email to be used a half dozen times or more. Back on a few other competitor services we've been able to do this without a fuss. This is the first time we've even heard of the issue (and we didn't see any sort of notification about it). IPB is beautiful and easy to use, we love it. But, this just made the software look to us in a different light.

I was planning on using: 

As this is exactly what I want. I also disclosed this in my initial discussion with sales. Is there an option somewhere where I can enable multiple users to same email? Does IPB 4 get rid of the requirement? 

Any help or workarounds would be appreciated, preferably easier on the user the better. We cannot compromise on the fact that users must have multiple accounts. 

PS: Your sales guy was kickass in answering questions! I like him! 

If the email system on the recipient domain supports the addition of "+something" to the email address then you can use multiple variations of the same address.

Example: gmail allows the use of "+something"

Main email address: my_email_address@gmail.com

Variations:

my_email_address+something@gmail.com

my_email_address+somethingelse@gmail.com

my_email_address+somethingdifferent@gmail.com

my_email_address+somethingsomethingdarkside@gmail.com

All of the above email address variations will deliver to my_email_address@gmail.com

Just tested out sending to a friend's yahoo account - no, yahoo doesn't support the "+something"

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain yahoo.com

The error that the other server returned was:
554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account

Archived