Jump to content

Let everybody know that a member is banned


Gabriel Torres
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Maybe there is already a plugin to do that, but I am not sure.

When we ban someone manually, we can simply move him to the "Banned Users" usergroup that we have. This way, on all of ther user's posts, it will show "Banner User" on his mini profile next to the post, where the usergroup is displayed.

However, if the user is banned automatically because he has reached a certain number of infraction points, he remains on the regular usergroup, so other users are not aware that the user was banned.

So I want to know a way to make the forum display a "user banned" message on the mini profile regardless of the user's usergroup...

Any ideas on how I could accomplish that?

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see the problem. If your user has been banned, they should be automatically moved to the "banned" usergroup. This is how I have my community set up. If this isn't happening with your community, I would suggest either manually moving that banned member into the banned usergroup or appointing another admin to handle those kinds of things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2016 at 4:35 AM, chilihead said:

You could probably use the Rules app for this.

Yeah. I have the paid version, but it is a pain in the neck creating the rules, I am not good at that, I'd need someone helping me.

On 3/26/2016 at 6:51 AM, Morisato said:

I don't see the problem. If your user has been banned, they should be automatically moved to the "banned" usergroup. This is how I have my community set up. If this isn't happening with your community, I would suggest either manually moving that banned member into the banned usergroup or appointing another admin to handle those kinds of things.

It works as you describe when we are banning a user manually. My issue is when the user is banned automatically for having reached the minimum number of infraction points; in this case, the user is NOT moved to the "banned" usergroup. I want a solution to do this automatically...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gabriel Torres said:

Yeah. I have the paid version, but it is a pain in the neck creating the rules, I am not good at that, I'd need someone helping me.

It works as you describe when we are banning a user manually. My issue is when the user is banned automatically for having reached the minimum number of infraction points; in this case, the user is NOT moved to the "banned" usergroup. I want a solution to do this automatically...

This is the rules rule that I use, got it from @Kevin Carwile https://community.invisionpower.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=84775

reference: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Gabriel Torres, that sounds like it's a feature left out of the software. I would mention it to IPS Staff. When someone reaches a number of infractions, depending on how you have infractions set up, if the user is banned, that user should be moved. But, it sounds like the system isn't moving your banned members to that usergroup. I think this might very well be an oversight by the development team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is not a malfunction of the software, IPS does not use banned usergroups anymore, in fact when you upgrade, it will remove the banned group. If you decide to maintain one after, it is up to you how it is maintained. And they never auto-moved to that group. You always selected it.

Edited by chilihead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you're saying that if a spammer is marked by the forum software via the anti-spam tool and that we have it to where the member if moved to the banned membergroup that the software just does an "oops, that member wont be banned but that we also wont tell you about it"? I seem to remember that when the anti-spam tool was created that admins could set it up so that spammers could be moved to the banned usergroup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Morisato said:

Sounds like you're saying that if a spammer is marked by the forum software via the anti-spam tool and that we have it to where the member if moved to the banned membergroup that the software just does an "oops, that member wont be banned but that we also wont tell you about it"? I seem to remember that when the anti-spam tool was created that admins could set it up so that spammers could be moved to the banned usergroup.

IPS does not move to a banned group.

It works like this:

ips_spammers.png

 

Flagged, and you will find them here:

ips_spammers2.png

 

If you choose not to ban them, they are still under Spammers.

You can find them under these tabs, and, the admin can be notified:

Be notified when a member is flagged?
On 
If enabled, an email will be sent to the site's incoming email address whenever a member of staff flags a member as a spammer.
Edited by chilihead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always used the banned member usergroups to deal with forum trolls, spammers and abusers of my forum community. When IPS first introduced the anti-spam feature, I seem to recall something about letting the system flag the spammer as a banned member, which is what caught me off-guard with this topic, regarding the banned usergroup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...