Q&A Comments

Tom Irons

I've brought this up in the past, and I can't find the topic anymore. I think this something that needs added fairly soon as it may confuse readers...

Take this topic for example, each reply we made was a new "answer". Which can be misleading to users when they look at it and then notice that they're just comments.

I believe something like what Stack Overflow does would be nice to see in the near future.

P.S. Sorry this wasn't longer, didn't know what else to say. ^_^

• Management

This (specifically) isn't likely going to happen in the confines of the forums app as the architecture just isn't there. We do have a couple of additions for the QA feature, such as ordering by votes -- but things like this would make more sense to be split into a Q&A app.

10 hours ago, Lindy said:

This (specifically) isn't likely going to happen in the confines of the forums app as the architecture just isn't there. We do have a couple of additions for the QA feature, such as ordering by votes -- but things like this would make more sense to be split into a Q&A app.

What about a tick box when replying that says "This is an answer" that is ticked by default?

You want to leave a reply without it being an answer, untick, and no vote icons are in that post.

Something simple just so people stop voting on "Thanks" posts and other acceptable replies in answer forums. Would look much cleaner.

3 minutes ago, chilihead said:

What about a tick box when replying that says "This is an answer" that is ticked by default?

You want to leave a reply without it being an answer, untick, and no vote icons are in that post.

Something simple just so people stop voting on "Thanks" posts and other acceptable replies in answer forums. Would look much cleaner.

That is another option, but something should be done either way to prevent confusion to members. Otherwise what's the point of having the Q&A?

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2016 at 0:28 PM, Tom Irons said:

That is another option, but something should be done either way to prevent confusion to members. Otherwise what's the point of having the Q&A?

Agreed. The more I see sites like StackExchange/Overflow, and the IPS Q&A, the messier this one looks. Having the replies w/o votes is really important or it starts to become disorderly and counter-productive, to the point you can't follow it.

Moderation is not the answer. People will thank and ask (for clarification) and comment no matter what. So let them, but as a dedicated comment.

Archived