Require comment for report

Graeme S.

So sometimes we have annoying members that report content without saying anything (so we don't know whether it's a legitimate or founded report). Would be great to make it mandatory for members to add a comment when reporting something. It would save moderators some time, especially when report is about a file (which may be a document with lots of text).

22 minutes ago, chilihead said:

In the meantime you could change the language which may help:

Optionally enter a message with your report.

to:

Please tell us what you are reporting. It is not always evident.

Yeah, I'll do this for now, but I feel like it can't be that hard.

• Management

The counter argument for requiring a comment is, often it is evident and admins will be leery of making it an annoyance for members to report content as they may be less likely to do so. I know the next argument will be "make it a setting." ;)

Before we overthink this, would changing the verbiage help?  

5 hours ago, Lindy said:

The counter argument for requiring a comment is, often it is evident and admins will be leery of making it an annoyance for members to report content as they may be less likely to do so. I know the next argument will be "make it a setting." ;)

Before we overthink this, would changing the verbiage help?  

Alternatively, why not make it really simple for members and let them pick from some presets (obviously configurable by the admin).

• Spambot
  • Needs moving
    • Optionally select where it should be moved to
  • Offensive or overly agressive
    • Optionally add a message with your report
  • Other
    • Add a (mandatory) comment with your report

That way, it's easy for members, but the staff get the information that they need. It would even be in a computer-legible format, so you could to things like adding a one click "move" button in the report if the member suggested that it should be moved somewhere else.

Archived