Pages: Template with 1 full row followed by 2 columns

Neej

Hi,

I am trying to create a template for the Page Builder, that has a full row Widget Container across the top, followed by 2 columns of Widget Containers below that. Is this possible in IPS?

Every time I try and create something with 2 columns, it does not allow me to have a full width container at the very top.

Here is a mockup image of what I am after

BzVPlhF.jpg

The white lines are the separators of the widget containers. As you can see I want a widget container at the top which spans the whole page, followed by 2 columns below that just like in the default pages template 'two_columns'.

I was unable to find any useful information on the IPS Guides about making custom page templates. If I have missed it I am very sorry, just after some help.

Thanks

Can you show us the code for your template.

Will this not do it?

<div>
	<div class='ipsGrid ipsGrid_collapsePhone'>
		<div class='ipsGrid_span9'>
			{template="widgetContainer" group="pages" app="cms" params="'col1', $widgets, 'horizontal'"}
		</div>
		<div class='ipsGrid_span3'>
			{template="widgetContainer" group="pages" app="cms" params="'col2', $widgets, 'horizontal'"}
		</div>
	</div>
</div>

5 hours ago, Ausy said:

Can you show us the code for your template.

Will this not do it?

<div>
	<div class='ipsGrid ipsGrid_collapsePhone'>
		<div class='ipsGrid_span9'>
			{template="widgetContainer" group="pages" app="cms" params="'col1', $widgets, 'horizontal'"}
		</div>
		<div class='ipsGrid_span3'>
			{template="widgetContainer" group="pages" app="cms" params="'col2', $widgets, 'horizontal'"}
		</div>
	</div>
</div>

No that does not do what I want, that is basically identical to what I had as my custom code. (I had span 10 and 4)

Here is what it outputs,

Template_1.jpg

Here is what I actually want. White boxes represent the widget containers. See the 1 block above that goes ALL the way across. Followed by 2 columns below.

Template_2.jpg

I feel like setting something up this way should be super simple, yet I have basically given up. I know I can achieve the result without page builder, but I would like to be able to use page builder for this because a lot of the stuff I am putting on it is modular and will change often. I would rather be able to drag custom blocks in and out when I need them.

Just now, opentype said:

Can’t be done with the page builder. It’s really just made for the default setup of having the blocks BESIDE the sidebar, which might be there or not and push the other blocks away if necessary. 

Thanks. That is disappointing.

4 hours ago, The.Reaper said:

Could you not just edit the template?

That's what this entire thread is about mate.

If the templates allow for this to work I might just add the code at the top for my top widget and then keep the 2 column div tags below that. Will try it out today and report back. 

I tried adding a media screen to a template to allow for widgets but the widgets will not sit in line with the media screen. So I am just forced to create a new page from scratch and will have to do without the block manager functionality.

• 1 month later...

On 3/16/2016 at 0:07 PM, Neej said:

No that does not do what I want, that is basically identical to what I had as my custom code. (I had span 10 and 4)

Here is what it outputs,

Template_1.jpg

Here is what I actually want. White boxes represent the widget containers. See the 1 block above that goes ALL the way across. Followed by 2 columns below.

Template_2.jpg

I feel like setting something up this way should be super simple, yet I have basically given up. I know I can achieve the result without page builder, but I would like to be able to use page builder for this because a lot of the stuff I am putting on it is modular and will change often. I would rather be able to drag custom blocks in and out when I need them.

That template is what you want, you just don't put anything in the far right column, that column and will automatically hide when not in use. 

My site uses 3 columns vs 2, but is setup almost the exact same way: http://spartac.net 

demo.png

Archived