Multiple registrations with same email?

Ciel!

When I used 3.4 version, I had a subaccounts hook that allowed registration of additional, child accounts through the parent's account settings. Clearly with the new linked accounts hook for version 4.x, you don't need that hook.

However, I run a mass-player RPG where users have several accounts. It doesn't appear that there is a setting that will remove the limit of only using an email address once for registration. I really need to be able to allow multiple accounts registered to the same email

What are my options?

The email address is a unique piece of information for each account. You cannot use the same email address twice, unfortunately.

If you had a hook in v3 that accomplished what you describe, you'd need to ask its author for an updated version for version4.

Would adding an identifier work as a unique e-mail in this instance? The major free e-mail providers permit it, so username+character1@gmail.com for example might be a solution you tell people to use for now. It would all come to the same e-mail account, but perhaps invision would treat them as unique? 

Just now, Morgin said:

Would adding an identifier work as a unique e-mail in this instance? The major free e-mail providers permit it (so username+character1@gmail.com for example) might be a solution you tell people to use for now. It would all come to the same e-mail account, but perhaps invision would treat them as unique? 

Nope, it works as the email address is unique....I've suggested it multiple times on here, and I use it myself already.

Just now, Morgin said:

Would adding an identifier work as a unique e-mail in this instance? The major free e-mail providers permit it (so username+character1@gmail.com for example) might be a solution you tell people to use for now. It would all come to the same e-mail account, but perhaps invision would treat them as unique? 

As long as they are not completely identical that would work. ^_^

I'd not personally rely on trying to see if case sensitivity would work as that may depend on the server (so you'd not try John@test.com as well as john@test.com) but you can have as many john(something unique)@test.com as you like for example.

Thank you.

I also had this thread going: 

At this time, my solution is to look for a hook that allows multiple accounts to be created as subaccounts from within the parent, which would bypass the original registration process, avoid the email issues, and auto-link it to the parent account. This is the functionality needed for my forum, so I'm on the hunt...

Archived