Gallery: AVI Movies Bug

Aaron1178

Hello,

I am experiencing a bug with IPS Community Suite 4.1.8.1 Gallery Application. I've allowed the upload of movies to albums in User Group Permissions and I have successfully uploaded an AVI move to my site, but I am getting a A Plugin is needed to display this content.I was using Firefox and attempted to view it in Google Chrome, with no avail... except a clue to why. Apparently Google Chrome no longer supports plugins.... and yet the Gallery needs the X-MSVideo plugin to work properly.

I am wondering if any other suite owners has found a work around and can assist me, since tech support cant.

Thanks,

Aaron

That’s not a bug. Your AVI file just isn’t a movie file that all browser can show by default. The Gallery app can’t influence that. 
There are other formats that are better supported, but unless you provide multiple video formats simultaneously, it’s impossible to reach 100% cross-browser support for embedded videos. Flash was a way around that for years, but Flash support is now also being dropped. 

Thanks for your reply opentype. I was not aware of that issue, since .avi movies have been around for a long time. I've converted my video to MP4 and it is now playing in the browser. Are there extensions for unsupported video types for the IPS Community Suite System?

Archived