What happened to the menu?

Adriano Faria

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, superj707 said:

I am wondering why the team wouldn't want the layout to match the product customers will get upon purchase.

I am thinking this can only lead to either

• people unhappy because they like the navigation here and want it on their own site 
  • people unhappy because they don't like it and will not purchase as a result. (not understanding that it's different after purchase)

Yeah, just thought about this earlier myself. This is going to be a real problem. >_>

• Management
54 minutes ago, Gravi5tar said:

Honest feedback alert!

Your menus are too complex and confusing.

As an admin, I can hardly understand either how to navigate or set them up.

The only 'distracting' thing are changes like these while we're waiting for a stack of bugs to be fixed.

Thank you to everyone who has complained here.

Perhaps you can elaborate on what is complex and confusing? Or are you referring to the menu manager in the product itself (in which case, please also elaborate)?

This did not impact development -- the developers were not involved in the project. We appreciate your concern, however, and I'm sure you'll notice bugs are still being addressed. ^_^

I am wondering why the team wouldn't want the layout to match the product customers will get upon purchase.

• people unhappy because they like the navigation here and want it on their own site 
  • people unhappy because they don't like it and will not purchase as a result. (not understanding that it's different after purchase)

We are no longer using this community as an out of the box demo of the product. Instead, we are creating a demo that shows different ways you can use the software (and, of course, stock.) Also note, we're not done with the actual community design on this site just yet. It should be clear it's unique to our site and the demo site should convey expectations for the retail download. 

4 minutes ago, Lindy said:

Perhaps you can elaborate on what is complex and confusing? Or are you referring to the menu manager in the product itself (in which case, please also elaborate)?

This did not impact development -- the developers were not involved in the project. We appreciate your concern, however, and I'm sure you'll notice bugs are still being addressed. ^_^

We are no longer using this community as an out of the box demo of the product. Instead, we are creating a demo that shows different ways you can use the software (and, of course, stock.) Also note, we're not done with the actual community design on this site just yet. It should be clear it's unique to our site and the demo site should convey expectations for the retail download. 

Then can I suggest an announcement stating this is not a out of the box demo community and if you would like to see what IPS has to offer stockwise, you have a link to the demo? Not everything for a designer or developer is as clear as the common user. They think this is what they will get on their purchase. Trust me, I've troubleshooted some people who thought they had to manually code <h1> and if they had to download some plugin or application. 

• Management

I certainly appreciate the concern for new clients - it's always great when clients advocate for each other and prospects, but I feel it will be ok. When we're done it should be relatively clear that this community is our corporate community and one of infinite examples of what you can do with the software. We will also have a prominent demo link illustrating the stock, out of the box installation, as well as several use examples. 

2 minutes ago, Edward Shephard said:

The top link to Unread Feedback and Mark Site Read isn't a link for me.

Should be fixed soon. Thanks.

I think it's good that you have merged the forum with your website design, it looks so much better and more professional now. :thumbsup:

I don't see the problem. Potential costumers can just create a demo and/or check out the screenshots on the main website and they'll see the standard theme.

Also, why would customers expect the forum design of this website to be included in the actual forum software?

21 minutes ago, Lindy said:

That makes sense. I think it will allow for a range of possibilities to be on display. If this is communicated clearly I think people will get it.

I must admit, I didn't get it at first, I thought this was 4.1.9 on display. It is 4.1.9 but a customized version.

I like the look of it, my issue is that 4 levels of navigation is A LOT!.

Surely there is a better way to get everything laid out on 2 rows. 3 max.. I think 4 is too many.

4 levels uses a lot of space, and this isn't even including the space needed for app headings etc.

levels of menu.JPG

2 hours ago, Lindy said:

Hmm im not sure if that will work very well. People buy a software for what they see here in the official board. They expect it to be just the same as here. 

• Management
4 hours ago, Edward Shephard said:

The new homepage and header have some horrible scaling issues on a landscape iPad.

We're aware and are working on it. 

3 hours ago, XndrMc said:

I like the change, but I can't stop thinking:

Pages still has not improved, but they have time make a new header, wow :thumbsup:

As noted earlier - this did not detract from development... this was between design and marketing. By the way, Pages made all of this possible. ;)

3 hours ago, RevengeFNF said:

Hmm im not sure if that will work very well. People buy a software for what they see here in the official board. They expect it to be just the same as here. 

Again, we appreciate the concern - but as you're an existing client, this should have no impact on you. We'll certainly do our best to present the demo and the official community... please let us worry about that challenge. ;)

Company suggestion:

A confusing aspect of the new menu to me is when I'm on mobile.  When I'm on a tier 1 heading, the mobile menu shows all tier 1 choices.  When I'm on a tier 2 heading, the mobile menu only shows tier 2 choices with no ability to navigate back to tier 1 choices.  This makes it impossible to navigate back to tier 1.    For example:

• TIER 1 EXAMPLE.  Support > Help Guides.  Mobile menu shows Features, Services, Demo, etc.
  • TIER 2 EXAMPLE.  Community > Forums.  Mobile menu shows Account, Forums, Chat, etc.  I can't navigate to tier 1.  

Just an observation.

But maybe that's how IPS designed their own community's menu?  

I don't know.  I would be pretty confused as a mobile user if I couldn't access ALL menu choices from the mobile menu.  I suppose that's why I'm on desktop right now, composing this post.  

Personal feedback:

It's not bad.  In essence, it's the same Menu Manager as 4.1 but without the rollover effect.

One thing that aesthetically bothers me is that you can't tell what tier 1 choice is selected.  It would be nice if there was a bold or emphasis on the tier 1 selection.  

My recommendations:

• 4 navigation levels are too much, too much information at once.
  • Level 1 (purchases, billing, profile) is good,
  • Level 2 is also good but should separate the navigation elements better, maybe "Link A | Link B | Link C" or group the difference better. F.e. Your site links (group A, special Link or background colour for this thematic group) and IPS software (group B, special link or background colour - slightly different - for the other thematic group)
  • Level 3 submenu (forums, chat...): get rid of "Our Community" or your logo doesn't stand out properly. Your logo deserves more focus and free space next to it without other fonts and informations around. I also think, the "Our Community" font style doesn't match the rest... It feels like an alien element :lol:
  • Concerning level 3 links: Maybe this menu could fade in/fade out onmouseover in level 2. Would be cleaner. Or at least separators between links like in my level 1 recommendations. Or greyed out links that become more intensive on mouse over.

However. Just some ideas in 3 minutes time, how I would optimize.... Maybe some ideas in it that could help with your considerations.

Regards T

1 hour ago, Joel R said:

A confusing aspect of the new menu to me is when I'm on mobile.  When I'm on a tier 1 heading, the mobile menu shows all tier 1 choices.  When I'm on a tier 2 heading, the mobile menu only shows tier 2 choices with no ability to navigate back to tier 1 choices.  This makes it impossible to navigate back to tier 1.    For example:

• TIER 1 EXAMPLE.  Support > Help Guides.  Mobile menu shows Features, Services, Demo, etc.
  • TIER 2 EXAMPLE.  Community > Forums.  Mobile menu shows Account, Forums, Chat, etc.  I can't navigate to tier 1.  

I was about to come and post the same thing now I'm on desktop and seen how it looks as I was on mobile all morning wonder what was going on its pretty confusing.

Marketplace should be on the second area as it is a part of the "community"

Bug Tracker / Documentation / Theme Differences should be folded under "Resources" or some other menu.

The "Features / Services / Free Demo" are great for non members people who are New to the platform, having that present for the choir or invested its just visual noise. 

• Management

@Joel R When you're in the community, you can click "home" in the top left corner. The menu is then the top level (site wide menu) -- when you drill down into an app, the menu is then context oriented. If that's not working, let us know. We had it differently where both menus could be accessed, but it was very cluttered. 

We can work on the header -- we do a lot, offer a lot and have a lot of information to share. Unfortunately, you can break that into submenus and sub-submenus and people will never find it (like guides) or you try to present as much of it as possible the best way you can at a top level with submenus as appropriate. I agree things like Bug tracker, docs and theme differences should be under support or similar - we'll do that. 

@Ocean West The Marketplace, while technically speaking, is a community app, it is intended as a site wide resource. That is really the purpose for all of this... we've often said, less than 5-10% of our clients frequent the forums section of our site. A lot of resources that were tucked away on the "forums" get lost. This creates a unified experience and is also the reason for the site wide navigation and the blended interface. 

Give us a few days to further polish and for yourselves to adjust. It will work out - have we ever led you astray? :D 

Archived