Jump to content

Live Topics (Support)


Michael.J
 Share

Recommended Posts

This plugin automatically adds new posts by other members into the topic while viewing the topic. Overriding the default flash message with options for how often and how long new posts should be checked for.

v1 Features:

  1. Enable/disable override of force showing of new posts.
  2. Set how many seconds between each check for new posts.
  3. Set how long before new posts stopped being checked.
  4. Set how many seconds extra each new attempt for new topics will increase
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sent a private message to Mike about this, but I thought I should leave this here for others to discuss.

I suggested that instead of having this as a global option for all the forums, it would be nice of we could enable the option on a per topic basis, so we can control which topics use this feature.

He's planning to add that on a per forum basis, and then per topic.

Edited by -FP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The current method I don't think would work for me, not that I don't see it's benefits but having it 'per topic' would enable me to encourage more activity from my community.

Example - I run a fan site, so having the match discussion 'Live' and perhaps highlighted as so - would be a great way to get people posting more. I think as it standards now, people wouldn't gather around the same topic and in turn end up not being as effective as I'd like. Having all topics update instantly would wear off with my audience I think, so I would certainly like the option per topic.

It would mean I can choose the best material to be live and for what amount of time, which would be great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/3/2016 at 10:19 PM, Joey_M said:

Example - I run a fan site, so having the match discussion 'Live' and perhaps highlighted as so - would be a great way to get people posting more. I think as it standards now, people wouldn't gather around the same topic and in turn end up not being as effective as I'd like. Having all topics update instantly would wear off with my audience I think, so I would certainly like the option per topic.

Yes I think some type of "Live" flag in a special topic would be something I would include if per topic support was added.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd go on a promoting spree if you did add it. :lol:

Though I really do think it would wear off for most people, only really benefiting large sites - whereas, yes it comes across as a bit of a gimmick but per topic really enables people to be creative. I really hope you do, I know your busy but it would be a must have for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

IPB 4.1.12.3

Thought it might have been the issue some people are having with PHP7 starting at the below post.  But I rolled back to php 5.6.22 and it's still showing the modal.

I wouldn't think there would an issue with Nginx... I actually stripped my ngx conf file and still doesn't work.

Tried it on Chrome, Comodo Ice Dragon (Chrome clone), Opera, and FireFox.  Also disabled Adblock and Privacy Badger.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/06/2016 at 0:01 PM, Bluto said:

Thought it might have been the issue some people are having with PHP7 starting at the below post.  But I rolled back to php 5.6.22 and it's still showing the modal.

Is this available on a public forum I can view myself? I haven't been able to reproduce this 100% of the times and still troubleshooting causes here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mike John said:

Is this available on a public forum I can view myself? I haven't been able to reproduce this 100% of the times and still troubleshooting causes here.

No it's on my dev server.  Don't have a live v4 site yet... only v3.  I'm going to do some more tests on my end to make sure it's not something being blocked by my conf, I use Centmin Mod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bluto said:

No it's on my dev server.  Don't have a live v4 site yet... only v3.  I'm going to do some more tests on my end to make sure it's not something being blocked by my conf, I use Centmin Mod.

I'll try a live site test this afternoon and give it another stab then. Just let me know how you go, I've had 1 other report of this so there is something to this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Mike John said:

Just to confirm I'm looking for the same thing as your reporting, could you please post a screenshot of this?

My Dev server is down right now.  Once I get it back up, I can post a screen shot.

Though, my site is just doing what it normally does without the plugin.  When someone posts a reply instead of the new reply showing up (as it should with the mod) it displays a modal at the bottom, just like it does on this forum.

Edited by Bluto
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/06/2016 at 2:23 PM, Bluto said:

Though, my site is just doing what it normally does without the plugin.  When someone posts a reply instead of the new reply showing up (as it should with the mod) it displays a modal at the bottom, just like it does on this forum.

Sorry, yeah I get you now. If you view the source code when viewing a topic, can you find any reference to "liveTopics" in the source code? It sounds like the javascript isn't loading for some reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike John said:

Sorry, yeah I get you now. If you view the source code when viewing a topic, can you find any reference to "liveTopics" in the source code? It sounds like the javascript isn't loading for some reason.

I'll do the check once I get my dev site back up and running.  Should be this weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 05/08/2016 at 6:41 PM, ResPecT My Authoritah said:

You guys got this figured out?

I'll check through my PM's but I don't believe I got a sustained follow up. And I haven't received any further reports about this. If you haven't purchased yet, I'd be happy to setup a demo if you wanted to test before hand.

Edited by Mike John
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Currently testing this and getting the same issue as Bluto. Modal appears instead of post but the info message "This is new post added while viewing this topic." does appear.

Notes:

  • I checked the source code and the js is in there.
  • I'm on CIC 4.1.13.2
  • Using Chrome
    • Second person using Firefox on a different computer
  • No adblockers or anything
Edited by Simon Woods
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Simon Woods said:

Currently testing this and getting the same issue as Bluto. Modal appears instead of post but the info message "This is new post added while viewing this topic." does appear.

I've noted this and will take another look while working through IPB 4.1.14 updates. Please let me know if your available to test out any possible patches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mike John said:

I've noted this and will take another look while working through IPB 4.1.14 updates. Please let me know if your available to test out any possible patches.

I'd need to use a ticket to get it done (because of CIC) but I am definitely available for this. Just let me know when it is time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...