Mandrill Alternatives

Circo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news - thanks a lot!

Sorry to ask - but is there any plan or advice how to integrate this in the 3.4.x version?

I run five big 3.4.9 boards depending on email campaigns - and I can't go for 4.1.x as long there is no running classifieds app available...

Andreas

On 02/04/2016 at 6:39 AM, Andreas Jürgensen said:

Great news - thanks a lot!

Sorry to ask - but is there any plan or advice how to integrate this in the 3.4.x version?

I run five big 3.4.9 boards depending on email campaigns - and I can't go for 4.1.x as long there is no running classifieds app available...

Andreas

I used SparkPost on a 349 board, no issues noticed at all (swapped from Mandrill) ^_^ The setup is quite easy as you do not need to choose any of the extra options in the S.P panel really.

What are you having difficulty with ?

On 7. April 2016 at 4:47 AM, AndyF said:

What are you having difficulty with ?

Speed. Via Mandrill I can send out 20,000+ mails in a few minutes. Plus a few minutes for Mandrill to get them to the subscribers.

Sparkpost or any other provider via SMTP takes hours. In my business this is way too long.

I worked with that over years - and it was fantastic to find a tool like Mandrill and its integration in IPBoard.

Andreas

On 08/04/2016 at 5:52 AM, Andreas Jürgensen said:

Speed. Via Mandrill I can send out 20,000+ mails in a few minutes. Plus a few minutes for Mandrill to get them to the subscribers.

Sparkpost or any other provider via SMTP takes hours. In my business this is way too long.

I worked with that over years - and it was fantastic to find a tool like Mandrill and its integration in IPBoard.

Andreas

You can still use Mandrill, you just have to pay for it.

If you're frequently sending Marketing emails to your users, it's probably worth using a decent paid-for ESP. Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think here - decent sending infrastructure isn't free.

@Jacques Corby-Tuech I have paid for Mandrill and I'm continuing to do so.

I know that good infrastructure has its price and I'm absolutely willing to pay for it.

I have two problems with Mailchimp / Mandrill:

1. Price:

• Until now my Mandrill bill was about 80$ per month, flexible depending on how much mails I send.
  • From now on I have to pay more than 250$ - three times more.
  • Sparkpost will be around 100$.

This is 1,800$ difference per year - enough for me to care about...

2. Company Policy

My business model depends on my communities and the ability to reach out to my members fast and reliably via the forum software

Mailchimp has made clear that they are not interested in customers like me, so I'm not willing to base my business on a partner who is not really interested.
And who might pull the plug - as they have done right now. The short time span from announcement to switch speaks also for itself.

So, emotions aside - I need a good, affordable and reliable long-term solution.
And I hope that IP will provide this good solution - like the Mandrill solution was.

Andreas

One thing I miss (or haven't found yet) is with Mandrill I could see the actual outgoing messages (titles at least). That really helped me a few times where I could see when and where  a specific notification had gone out, 

That said, so far so good with sparkpost. Can't imagine needing a fraction of the allowance!

14 hours ago, bradl said:

One thing I miss (or haven't found yet) is with Mandrill I could see the actual outgoing messages (titles at least). That really helped me a few times where I could see when and where  a specific notification had gone out, 

That said, so far so good with sparkpost. Can't imagine needing a fraction of the allowance!

In SparkPost, Reports > Message Events does give you some of this information.

1 hour ago, Lenny Warren said:

I've noticed the Sparkpost integration is MUCH faster than Sparkpost SMTP Interjection, is that right?

We also found the SMTP injection was a little slow, we send everything to SparkPost via their HTTP API.

I've switched over to Sparkpost from Mandrill. I initially tried using the API integration but I couldn't find a way of turning off the Sparkpost link tracking? So it means all links in emails go through Sparkpost first - this also caused an issue with 'unfollow' links in the bottom of each email not working correctly.

Switching back to using Sparkpost via SMTP - there is an option in Sparkpost to turn off link tracking for SMTP which fixes both the issues above.

I've filed a bug report about this issue but wandered if anybody else had noticed it or found a solution?

Archived