Banned/Suspended Error Message

bassangler

When a member is suspended or banned, they recieve an error message stating they do not have access to the forums.  Underneath that message, is a dandy little link to the "Contact Us" form.  A great little "feature" angry and hot-headed members use to vent and threaten the staff with.

Is there a way to change that message to something more custom - say an explanation of the top reasons people are banned/suspended?  At the very least, how do I remove the link on just those messages only, and still keep it for other other forum error messages?

And yes, we do provide reasons/explanations for the suspensions and bans at the time the penalty is given, but most people think the rules should be bent for them, or that the rules don't apply to them; and so they immediately hit that "contact us" link to blast us. 

2 hours ago, bassangler said:

When a member is suspended or banned, they recieve an error message stating they do not have access to the forums.  Underneath that message, is a dandy little link to the "Contact Us" form.  A great little "feature" angry and hot-headed members use to vent and threaten the staff with.

Is there a way to change that message to something more custom - say an explanation of the top reasons people are banned/suspended?  At the very least, how do I remove the link on just those messages only, and still keep it for other other forum error messages?

And yes, we do provide reasons/explanations for the suspensions and bans at the time the penalty is given, but most people think the rules should be bent for them, or that the rules don't apply to them; and so they immediately hit that "contact us" link to blast us. 

Its just part of running a website! hate-mail is something i receive daily and we only have 500 members. 30 or so active a day!

42 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

So when someone is banned, you don't send them an email letting them know?

No. That simply opens the door to arguments and more hate mail. But we do include the reasons in the initial ban, which is emailed to them via IPB software.

38 minutes ago, Netherlord said:

Its just part of running a website! hate-mail is something i receive daily and we only have 500 members. 30 or so active a day!

Been running our forums for over 20 years now.  You don't have to remind me of that. We have thousands of active daily users.  Multiply your small stream of hate mail by a few thousand, and you'll soon realize you don't have time to engage in it any more.  It would consume your entire day!

Now, if anyone can answer my question, great. Otherwise, please refrain from derailing this thread into the how's, why's, and other blabber about hate mail.

Thanks!

Archived