Move records from one database to another (Pages)

rfcontreras

Why do you want to split them across different databases anyway? That’s not how it is meant to work. Categories are the way to go to separate content items of the same type. Pages databases itself are meant to hold completely arbitrary sets of fields and are therefore usually incompatible by design. 

Hi Opentype,

I have astronomy data, where some records are "articles" about events, and the other records are star catalog items, each dataset have different needs, the first set is business as usual, the other set have fields like "epoch, constellation, right ascension, declination" etc.. so they're suitable to be on a different database with different fields, but right now I have both type of records on the same db.

Regards

I see. You should have no problem to set this up in Pages, even your star catalog with all those special fields. That’s what Pages can do best. 

Your problem is that you haven’t directly built all this on the IPS platform, but converted the data from another platform as one set of “articles”. You can only manually recreate the articles in another database or you have to move them in the MySQL database directly. 

Depends on the specific fields and data. I built a Pages database a while ago this way: this Emoji list. I built the database and fields in the ACP as usual and created some test records to see the results in phpMyAdmin and exported the test data. I then prepared a CSV file with the actual data to exactly match the test data. Made another test import with just a few lines and when that worked imported all 1200 records at once via phpMyAdmin. So it works in principle. Not sure if it’s right for you though. You might ask a developer if you are not familiar enough with these types of MySQL operations. You could easily screw up your database if you make mistakes …

• 3 weeks later...

Archived