Moderators should be able to remove members from PMs

Colonel_mortis

Absolutely NOT! The only members who should have the ability to remove someone from a personal message is the person who started the personal message as well as any staff member. NEVER, EVER should a regular member have the ability to remove other members from a PM conversation. That would become a system ripe for abuse and I would never recommend anyone place those kind of permissions in the hands of regular members.

I don't know if I'm alone in this thinking but this is akin to allowing regular members to ban other members and delete topics. I do not advise anyone to do this.

Reason being is that eventually you'll get disgruntled members or even members who just register for an account only to disrupt your community. Always err on the side of caution.

4 minutes ago, Morisato said:

Absolutely NOT! The only members who should have the ability to remove someone from a personal message is the person who started the personal message as well as any staff member. NEVER, EVER should a regular member have the ability to remove other members from a PM conversation. That would become a system ripe for abuse and I would never recommend anyone place those kind of permissions in the hands of regular members.

Yeah, that's why I added 

1 hour ago, Colonel_mortis said:

(actually, probably not other participants, but certainly moderators).

Currently, only the conversation starter can remove people from the PM, but the purpose of the topic was to suggest that moderators should also be able to remove people. I did also mention members being able to remove other members, but that wasn't the primary purpose of it, and while writing it I did have second thoughts about that suggestion, hence the quote above.

Is the purpose for like, a group message where one member is being disruptive? So kind of like a chat room kick? And maybe the message starter is not online?

Mods should have the power to handle any situation, I'm just trying to find your need.

Also we need the ability to re-add someone to an existing conversation, I've seen people remove themselves and then they want to get back in. Not for mods, for members. A re-invite function. Which you would need if a mod removed someone you wanted back too!

2 hours ago, chilihead said:

Also we need the ability to re-add someone to an existing conversation, I've seen people remove themselves and then the want to get back in.

+100. I have no idea why this isn't a feature already. If the member voluntarily left, they should be able to just rejoin, possibly from a list of conversations that they've left or something.

I have previously had to resort to SQL to rejoin a conversation that I had accidentally deleted.

2 hours ago, chilihead said:

Is the purpose for like, a group message where one member is being disruptive? So kind of like a chat room kick? And maybe the message starter is not online?

Mods should have the power to handle any situation, I'm just trying to find your need.

The reason that this came up was because a moderator meant to add another moderator to a PM, but accidentally added someone else with a similar name, so they wanted to remove them. It could also be useful for situations like the one you mentioned, though I don't know how many sites that would apply to.

I just don't see a problem with the way the system is currently configured. The topic started should be the only one with the ability to remove people from a personal message conversation. When a conversation is so important that you need to add and remove members, then that is something that is better relegated to a forum topic, not a personal message conversation.

22 hours ago, Colonel_mortis said:

+100. I have no idea why this isn't a feature already. If the member voluntarily left, they should be able to just rejoin, possibly from a list of conversations that they've left or something.

Wait, does this work if they have left or you removed them? To re-add?

ips_invite_conversation.png.ddfe46e55368

Archived