Per-user configuration of Avatar format (rounded v. squared)

Gabriel Torres

13 hours ago, Rikki said:

If this is something you really want to give people a choice over, create a copy of the default theme, and set the 'use rounded photos' theme setting off. Personally, for something so minor, I'd pick one or the other and go with it instead :) 

Oh, you should talk to my users... Every little detail for them is something big... As I explained, I can't pick one and go, as our users are split 50%-50%. I am leaving rounded and users are asking to go back to squared; if I change, then the users who support the rounded avatars will complain. Our users complain a lot.

As for creating new themes, it is a good idea, actually, the problem is that we've already have four themes installed, so this would increase our total count to eight. Kind of a maintenance nightmare.

13 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

Oh, you should talk to my users... Every little detail for them is something big... As I explained, I can't pick one and go, as our users are split 50%-50%. I am leaving rounded and users are asking to go back to squared; if I change, then the users who support the rounded avatars will complain. Our users complain a lot.

This is something that all admins have to deal with in one form or another (in fact, we ourselves have to handle it as developers of the software too - everyone has an opinion on how something should look/work). Bear in mind you can't please everyone all of the time - make a decision based on your intuition/experience/preference, and stick with it. Others will adapt - especially for such a minor thing that doesn't impact their use of the site in any way :) It's usually not a good idea to put every tiny change to a committee.

I got an enormous amount of complaining when I switched from SMF to IPB. Most of the complaints were "this used to look/work in such a way that it no longer does".

I could work to make every detail of my site exactly as it was before I converted to IPB but then what would the point be of converting if not for change? I wanted things to change.

So you want a user to select round or square for his/her pic so the site is a mix, or you want users to select their preferred global view setting? Then you run into the issue of people that designed their pic for square, but now it doesn't look right to people that choose to view it as round and vice versa.

I'd take a stand as admin, it is your site, you decide how it looks, and let the shock wear off, they will adapt over time.

Idea: Tell your users you have decided to go with square, if they prefer rounded they can turn their image to round in a photo editor. And move on. :) 

Archived