Where to place custom advertisement code?

Lenny Warren

Hi there,

I want to use a custom advertisement placement, and I don't know which template, to add it to... I want to place it on the footer, in the middle where the "Contact us" is, with the "contact us" on the same line but right justified?

Anybody help with where to put the line {advertisement=“ADVERT”} ?????

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 21.36.01.png

19 hours ago, Lenny Warren said:

Hi there,

I want to use a custom advertisement placement, and I don't know which template, to add it to... I want to place it on the footer, in the middle where the "Contact us" is, with the "contact us" on the same line but right justified?

Anybody help with where to put the line {advertisement=“ADVERT”} ?????

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 21.36.01.png

GlobalTemplate .. near bottom (you will need to experiment until you get where wanted)

otherwise could have it above the Contact Us by not using custom placement and using the 'Just above the page footer'

e.g.

footer1.jpg.18260edd2fa85647d8046333c080

35 minutes ago, Lenny Warren said:

Weird, when I do this @steve00 I can actually see the text "{advertisement=“ADVERT”} " rather then the graphic...

If you are putting it in System-> Advertisments, I believe you should be inserting HTML code such as 

<div>
<p>My happy advertising</p>
</div>

and not 
{advertisement=“ADVERT”}

Or you can use the upload image option in the same panel. 

10 hours ago, Lenny Warren said:

In the help file, how to use custom locations it says to use {advertisement=“ADVERT”} ?????

That is what you are supposed to do

You put your ad code (or url etc in the box ... depending which option you go for) in the box

then add your {advertisement="name_of_key"} (as entered in the ' Custom location keys' box) into the template where you want it

2 minutes ago, Lenny Warren said:

ADVERT is the key I created... @steve00

Just created {advertisement="ADVERT"} and set it to custom location

added the code to globalTemplate above:

<footer id='ipsLayout_footer' class='ipsClearfix'>

Saved it and got the following:

ad9.thumb.jpg.062dc1378e0de91aaf2a423d55

So can only assume something you are doing wrong (assume you did upload the image and entered a url etc)

1 minute ago, Lenny Warren said:

Yeah, I can get that but only by copying the code that is the same as the predetermined positions, not the custom ones... :(

No .. I used exactly as I posted above ... custom location and added the required code in globalTemplate

What version of IPB are you using (shouldn't matter but just in case) ?

10 minutes ago, Lenny Warren said:

Oops.. mea culpa... :(

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 09.40.41.png

There's the reason then ... knew it had to be something simple

Why would you even set for all those areas in one go ... advert can only be used in one location ... if want for other locations as well then need to create a new advert form

Hope all ok now ?

Just now, Lenny Warren said:

Cheers @steve00, guess what, still didn't work... I must have made a typo as I copied the preset one and amended it, all working fine now. A lot of palaver for an advert, but want it to be right... ;)

I want the advert in 2 places, in the sidebar and in the footer. It works well, as the board seems to fit the images well.. :)

As with anything .. just take your time ... read what it says and all should be fine.

As mentioned if want ads for other areas as well then need to create a new 'form' for each area

1 hour ago, steve00 said:

Why would you even set for all those areas in one go ... advert can only be used in one location ... if want for other locations as well then need to create a new advert form

This is not my experience. At least I have the same ads on several locations on my site with noe problem. 

I would suggest change the Custom location to ADVERT - only.

Just now, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

This is not my experience. At least I have the same ads on several locations on my site with noe problem. 

I would suggest change the Custom location to ADVERT - only.

What am referring to is not to set all those locations at same time

You can just create one form and add that in different templates

Archived