Single sign on doesn't keep the session active

Lince

Hello,

I have SSO in my web app and in order to authenticate people using ipb I'm using the following code:

require $path.'/forum/init.php';
\IPS\Session\Front::i();

echo id: ".\IPS\Member::loggedIn()->member_id;

Very ofter I get an empty member_id from the echo command and the session disappears from my part of the application. The session in ipb still works fine and after clicking several links in the forum, the member_id variable becomes available again and so the session for my part of the app. This happens all the time.

Should I add anything else to those two first lines in order to use the session information in my app ?

Thanks.

PHP session garbage collection will clear out sessions that haven't been updated after a certain period of time, however the member_id and pass_hash cookies set in the user's browser will re-initiate a session when they visit the forums again if that happens.

Without knowing your specific setup, it is possible that your forums are on a subdomain and the cookies can't be read by the main site, for instance, which would explain why visiting the forums works but your basic script does not.  If that were the case, you'd want to set the COOKIE_DOMAIN constant in your constants.php to be global for your domain (i.e. ".domain.com" with the preceding dot).

1 hour ago, bfarber said:

PHP session garbage collection will clear out sessions that haven't been updated after a certain period of time, however the member_id and pass_hash cookies set in the user's browser will re-initiate a session when they visit the forums again if that happens.

Without knowing your specific setup, it is possible that your forums are on a subdomain and the cookies can't be read by the main site, for instance, which would explain why visiting the forums works but your basic script does not.  If that were the case, you'd want to set the COOKIE_DOMAIN constant in your constants.php to be global for your domain (i.e. ".domain.com" with the preceding dot).

Brandon, if we are using custom scripts elsewhere. Should we do the 'cookie_domain', '*.domain.tld'   or do something like this? 

curious as I use the cookie on subdomain and also at domain.tdl/directory  ; just want to make sure I have the ideal setup.

22 hours ago, bfarber said:

Thanks for your reply :)

I haven't got any issues with the domain and subdomains. The cookie and the session works fine everywhere. The problem is that after some time it stops working and when this happens I have to go to the forum, click several links (is never enough with 1) and then the session comes back and I can access again all my sections for some time.

So you think this could be because of the garbage collector ?

Archived